When was the last time you saw a totally unmolested TR?

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
One of my dad's friends brought a 30k-mile GN over to his place this week. He bought it from his 89-year-old aunt who bought it new when she was 68-years old. It was garage kept all its life and was dealer-serviced. I haven't seen one that is 100% factory original in a very long time. It's funny all the things you do to your car over the years that you forget about until you see a bone stock one next to it. The intake tubing looks ridiculously small, Vacuum lines are neat and uncomplicated as is the wiring. The exhaust system is quiet and puny. The A/C accumulator is black and there aren't any holes punched in the hood liner.

Sometimes I wish I had left mine alone - it was all stock when I got it. But, with a salvage title and low-buck body repairs it will never be a good example of original anyway.

Just thought I'd share.

Jim

A friend of mine bought a GN new back in 87. The car is just beautiful. Its been garaged its whole life. Under hood of the car, ive actually never seen one that clean. I look at my car and wonder what happened. It has the factory power moonroof, pw, locks, etc. Its fully loaded.

I asked him if he would ever consider selling it. He said he thought about it but then said no. The car has 28,000 original miles. Its been dealer serviced its whole life so far.

I think he said he paid around $19,000 for it back in 87. I offered 15K but he said no. Damn, I could always use a stock unmolested Buick in my garage.;)

Got 2, and have seen many more... There are a few jewels left out there.... Few and far in between though!

Strangely, they are fairly abundant.....there are guys on here w/ 5-6 that are pristine. We had 5 we sold that were all -500 mile cars, the new owner was going to do the same... sit and build value. (No lectures please)

last night!

I looked in the garage. there was my 13k mi GN all original., and the GNX and my WE4, I love it !!!!!!!!!
thanks for letting me brag! ;)

Around here they are kinda like bigfoot. Ya hear about them, but never see them.........:biggrin:

This is the only kind of molestation that is good! Hats off to the guys that keep them stock but what fun is that?:D Far from stock and never looking back.

I work with a guy that has a 1986 GN that was completely original. It is stock all the way down to the breather tube from the valve cover to the turbo. He just sent it to the paint shop to have it painted. I tried the whole survivor thing. But he didn't want to hear it. He was dead set on painting it.

Around here they are kinda like bigfoot. Ya hear about them, but never see them.........:biggrin:

Same around here. Some show up at the local cruises but none are ever factory original.

I can't just leave stuff alone. It can never be quick enough. I really had good intentions of restoring mine when I bought it. Then I talked myself into mods that can be easily undone. Then I started making mods that can't be undone. Then i started ditching the original parts collection dust in my basement, realizing the car will never be factory original again.

It's still nice to see a stock one once in a while, but I can't help but think to myself how he's going to get his butt kicked and make some stupid ricer think that he can beat all GNs. But then again, that's not a bad thing. Afterall, to the casual observer there's not much difference between mine and a bone stock one. Or a Monte SS for that matter.

Jim

Got one out in the garage. Oh, let me rephrase that, my wife has one out in the garage. :redface:

My friends dad has a 7k mile GN, its pretty clean. A couple of years back I saw a GN with 600 miles on it, it still had the plastic on the seats and all the factory stuff it was pretty much the closest ive seen to untouched.

A best friend of my dad has one. It will be mine someday!!! It wins concourse Gold every year at the BG Nats.

There was a lady across the street from me who had an original black 1987 GN, garage-kept, 58,000 miles on it and she sold it in August for $12,500. If I had the dough.....

Mine was restored but all back to stock down to the breather tube, airfilter etc. Any of the modifications I did are completely reversible if anyone really wanted to, but I see no need for that :biggrin:

Mine was 100% original when I got it, original t-top covers, floor mats, window sticker/literature etc etc

My problem with keeping it original was that some things (powermaster, mass air, radiator) are terrible from the factory, so I automatically like to upgrade those parts. I keep everything I take off, so it shouldnt be too hard to put it all back.