You can type here any text you want

Which parts house heater core?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
I bought a ready-aire from Advance Auto Parts - 399088

It came in all aluminum....tanks and core... and lines... took my old one out... copper brass..... hmm...... new one isn't fitting... tanks are fatter...litle clip thingy down under tank should hold bottom in place.... won't fit new one.... also the little clip at the top that bolts up.... won't fit either because of the tank size....there was a little trough inbetween the two pipes... and this one is fatter and solid... no trough... this is where the little clip sat..... no way it will fit this one correctly.

Looking on advances' site...I have the correct one. They list another one for non-a/c ..... it looks correct.... per the online picture for whatever thats worth... but not sure what is different..... maybe core size?

Anyway... I need to find one that will work without rigging it....

I got a heater core for my 87 n/a from there when I had it. It fit good

I wonder if the one listed for non ac is like the one that came out of my car.... the pic looks close... the other is definately a no-go.

I had to get the NA one couple of years ago. Even though they are the same the "book" at the store(s) is wrong,it's not GN specific as far as I know.

Well.... Advance Autoparts.... AutoZone.... and OReally's (LOL) .... all came out with the same Ready-aire part that I initially got from Advanced.... Trying another part number this afternoon that Oreally's came up with for an 86 Turbo Regal..... why it showed different from 86 to 87.... I don't know.... the 87 part didn't even ask him if it was a turbo or not.....

I did see in the box at Oreally's that it said you need to take the bottom ears off the factory A/C box that used to hold the old heater core.... there is nothing to keep the core from moving around in there.... seems really half @ssed to me....

I'll see what Napa's part looks like this afternoon.... and the other Oreally part....

Keep looking. I also ran into the same problem. I finally found some old stock under a different brand name.

We are looking hi & low right now. Parts are disappearing real quick. I'll probably see the 1 we sold on e-bay next year for $200! LOL

Weren't the heater cores in all Gbodys the same? I put a few in some Montes and they looked the same as the ones I've put in my buicks. It's been atleast 2 years since I last did one so my memory may be wrong.:D

Weren't the heater cores in all Gbodys the same? I put a few in some Montes and they looked the same as the ones I've put in my buicks. It's been atleast 2 years since I last did one so my memory may be wrong.:D

Yes except the 84-5 Gn's they are different. I have a few New Gm Hot airs stashed here.

Well... we got to the main Napa store at 8:00 PM.... which is also the distribution center....CLOSED! :mad: I guess I'll go in the morning. I do think this NAPA part will be different... as the "Readyaire" parts have allbeen around $25 or so..... the NAPA part is like $38.

I guess I'll find out in the morning.

Oh... the "other" part the Oreilley's came up with was a copper brass heater core... but the inlet/outlet pipes were totally angled differently.... not sure what they actually fit.... maybe a hot air?

Here is a pic of the one that showed up to fit an '86 GN.... maybe theis one was supposed to fit a hot air like Bweavy was talking about?

Anyway... this one has the inlet and outlet longer and looking the wrong way.... but the tanks are real close to my original....

Attachments

• 86 GN heater core.JPG
    86 GN heater core.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 370
Here is a picture of the Readyaire junk I have found at all the parts stores....

Attachments

• Readaire Junk.JPG
    Readaire Junk.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 374
And finally..... this is a picture of the one that NAPA has...at least if it looks like the picture.... we might be onto something.... as mine looks near identical...

Attachments

• 87 GN heater core.jpg
    87 GN heater core.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 377
Try to find someone that sells factory air (four seasons) I always thought they were one of the best.

The correct ones seem to be a Spectra Premium part with the connectors going left slightly.

The ones aiming right are the NON-A/C version.

Check the parts and pictures at Rock Auto, too.

Prices are similar to what's been quoted here.

Well... we got to the main Napa store at 8:00 PM.... which is also the distribution center....CLOSED! :mad: I guess I'll go in the morning. I do think this NAPA part will be different... as the "Readyaire" parts have allbeen around $25 or so..... the NAPA part is like $38.

I guess I'll find out in the morning.

Oh... the "other" part the Oreilley's came up with was a copper brass heater core... but the inlet/outlet pipes were totally angled differently.... not sure what they actually fit.... maybe a hot air?

Here is a pic of the one that showed up to fit an '86 GN.... maybe theis one was supposed to fit a hot air like Bweavy was talking about?

Anyway... this one has the inlet and outlet longer and looking the wrong way.... but the tanks are real close to my original....

That is the 84-5 GN Also like Alan stated non A/C units face the same way.
When looking the items up they will state copper/Brass. The units we were carrying were from GM, then guess what gone. So we did the same thing called suppliers. Priced at $38.00 showing copper Brass. Went to pick it up & proliance was the part they received in.
We just went thru this withanother GM item as well. I'm not going to state what it is until we can verify. Once I do I'll let you know what it is. Crazy how there in stock & taken for granted then 1 day gone.

Napa's unit was the same as the other aluminum units... with the crimped inlet/outlet....that has o-rings behind them.... a leak waiting to happen...

I called a mechanic buddy of mine... he suggested 1-800-radiators... or something like that.... turned out to be a local warehouse that sold radiators...they had one (1) unit... I had them pull it... sounded like it might be a go.... went.... SCORE!..... nearly identical to my other one.... less than $30 out the door... it was his only one.... he said it probably was in stock when he bought the business over a year ago... I inquired about him getting some more... he said no thanks.... heater cores are little to no profit.... he said like 5 or 6 bucks.... anyway... I tried to entice him with the possibility of turbo Buick sales.... he wasn't buying it.... I got to inspecting the box.... and there it was the same brand I ran accross everywhere else... Readyaire... same part no...399088 .... I enquired... he said he thought it was a Proliance part... out of Memphis, TN...?? He said they probably were making just the aluminum ones now.... might be worth checking into...

I'm almost thru bolting things back up....

Next.... Hydroboost conversion..... then engine installation....!!!

So just to clarify...

84-86 G bodys use diferent heater cores then 87 and 84 and earlier?

I am lost... or am I going to face this debacal when I need a heatercore in my 87?

Back