You can type here any text you want

Which parts house heater core?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
So just to clarify...

84-86 G bodys use diferent heater cores then 87 and 84 and earlier?

I am lost... or am I going to face this debacal when I need a heatercore in my 87?

I think 86 and 87 are the same... I think Orielly's had the wrong info.... think the other one they showed me was for an 85.... not an 86-87...

HTH

Was your heater core clogged? or leaking?

Neither... but my engine had been out for 2-1/2 years.... the car just sitting in the garage..... thought it might be easier to go ahead and change it while the engine was out... and I could just stand up inside the engine compartment....

Once I got it out... there was some green stuff on the bottom of the core... on top of the bottom tank... that looks like copper corrosion....so it was probably going to leak as soon as I put water in the car...

As per Brian,84-85 Hot Air GN 's/T's are different all other G bodies are the same.

Neither... but my engine had been out for 2-1/2 years.... the car just sitting in the garage..... thought it might be easier to go ahead and change it while the engine was out... and I could just stand up inside the engine compartment....

Once I got it out... there was some green stuff on the bottom of the core... on top of the bottom tank... that looks like copper corrosion....so it was probably going to leak as soon as I put water in the car...

Well make sure you hold on to the old part since they are copper/brass they are easily repairable.

And finally..... this is a picture of the one that NAPA has...at least if it looks like the picture.... we might be onto something.... as mine looks near identical...

Just picked this one up today at advance. It is a readyaire. Same thing. Only paid 24 bucks for it.

Just picked this one up today at advance. It is a readyaire. Same thing. Only paid 24 bucks for it.

Apparently older stock from the local warehouse. I just got done talking with the parent company of Ready-Aire a couple of weeks ago and they have the newer aluminum part listed in the specs now. I couldn't even get them motivated to see if they could check their warehouses for the old brass and copper jobs.:mad:

I may have to bolt the aluminum one in a car just to see what exactly we are complaining about. Hey if it works than I'm stashing the B&C away for when these cars hit 6 figures. Just like I did with the Powermaster.:eek:

I think the reason for them not checking is because it might not be specified. It wasn't when I got mine. I was happy to see it was brass though. I would think they should have some type of dates listed so they can track which ones are brass and which ones aren't.

The only thing I don't like about the readyaire ones is that the bottom doesn't snap into place. I can live with the longer inlet/outlet tubes. I've been thinking about taking my orginal in and having it fixed and boxing it up for later

The only thing I don't like about the readyaire ones is that the bottom doesn't snap into place. I can live with the longer inlet/outlet tubes. I've been thinking about taking my orginal in and having it fixed and boxing it up for later

Good luck with that Jesse. The shop I was working at wouldn't even touch a heater core. The money invloved to get it to work wasn't worth it. To take it apart and fix it just wasn't worth it.

The only thing I don't like about the readyaire ones is that the bottom doesn't snap into place.

Same here, I went thru this over a year and a half ago when mine decided to start leaking just before taking a 1000 mile trip across the US. I forgot where I got mine at, I want to say Napa, but I did go thru the mess of finding one that would fit and had the tubes aimed right.

I was at local bone yard and i pulled one out of a 85 NA Regal. It says HARRISON on bottom of tank, no leaks and clean. just FYI. i will R&R this weekend.

Is this correct??

Does this look correct??

I was at local bone yard and i pulled one out of a 85 NA Regal. It says HARRISON on bottom of tank, no leaks and clean. just FYI. i will R&R this weekend.

Attachments

• heater%20coresmall.jpg
    heater%20coresmall.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 146
GN Heater Core

Does this look correct??

Yup....looks like an original NOS GM heater core to me!

Exactly like the one I bought from Glenn at Highway Stars @ nos4gn (www.***********) and installed easily. May be available from other vendors too!

These are still available.....IMHO, don't know why anyone would think about putting anything other than original back in just to save a couple of bucks?......at $59.99 it's not that much more. This is a pain in the ass job that will take you the better part of a weekend (and a few cases of beer)! Why take the chance of having to do the job twice!

If you haven't replaced one of these before, best suggestion I could give you is read, read, read and read some more. There's some great info on this site and others that give you step by step instructions with pictures too.

Oh, and don't forget to ensure the ground strap attached to the top bracket is intact and gets attached to the firewall.

dave

Attachments

• heater%20coresmall_thumb.jpg
    heater%20coresmall_thumb.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 124
Back