You can type here any text you want

Which rear sway bar should I buy?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Justa6MB

So I was checking out HR Parts site and I see they've got quite a few different rear sway bars on there??? I am wanting to remove my front sway bar and go to a heavy duty rear bar for racing and still be ok for some city cruising. The HR bar is the most expensive and the Spohn (sp??) bar talks a great game on the site. Opinions? Thanks

Both are top quality bars, and will do what you want them to. If price is not an issue, the HR Parts bar is the best you can get. The quality and design of the mounting hardware sets it apart from all the others. Also, the HR bar is hollow, which keeps the weight down.

The HR bar is spring steel heat treated so it returns to its original shape after tweaking. It can bend, but very very rare to have it happen.
The other, I can say is more then likely not heat treated the same way.
I have been to Paul's ( HR ) shop a few times...
He puts a lot of caring and detail into each part.
He is top notch. Extra $$$ gets you piece of mind and superior performance.

I think I saw the Spohn's bar was adjustable, is that a real benefit? I've just started to learn and work on my suspension in an effort to get my 60' down and some consistent launching.

Go for the H&R bar, but do not take the front sway bar off the car. If it's a street car, keep it that way. The sway bar ties in the front suspension. i did that years ago and my car drove like shit, very washy and loose, and in ruts on the road..... not cool. I ended up putting back on a thicker F-body front sway bar and the drive ability is night and day. Don't sacrifice comfort over speed imo on a street car. Find a way to make more power if your not content. I have kept those principals with my own car and it drives just like a stock Buick. Imo you will enjoy the car more this way.

The HR is the best. spohn is next in line.I think the only difference is the spohn bar is solid.The hardware in the Hr kit is probably a little better. The adjustments are the same. The gns bar looks good except for the links. the heim joints on the Hr and the Spohn will take alot more punishment than the links in that picture. It still looks better than the hellwig bar with their cheap ass hardware. the gns bar looks like is more for road racing. Its a nice kit for the money thats for sure.Let us know how that goes and post pics of install. interested to see better pics of kit and installation

The gns bar looks good except for the links. the heim joints on the Hr and the Spohn will take alot more punishment than the links in that picture. the gns bar looks like is more for road racing. Its a nice kit for the money thats for sure.Let us know how that goes and post pics of install. interested to see better pics of kit and installation
(Chopped),

The DSE end links use a Hardened steel shaft that gets bolted through the sway bar & to the frame. (very similar to a heim joint with a regular bolt) then the casing around the DSE end links is also a steel which I think will actually be stronger than a regular heim joint and bolt. Now if a heim joint is hardened and you use a hardened bolt then I think they would be very similar in strength!

I spoke with DSE in regards to this issue before and DSE is not at all concerned about the end links breaking on the rear DSE bar and watching these rear sway bars go through what DSE does to them on a weekly basis we both think they will hold up just fine! They have been on my car for 3 years now without a single problem and will now be on Tim's 10 sec car so we will see how well they hold up.

PS: The picture on our site is of the old and very first style end links, Here is how they look now.
042206-main-pp.jpg

I have dse rear bar on my car now. Things I don't like about is to clear the rear end girdle u have to slide back alil don't know if it effects performance or not. And the mounting hardware I don't like the single tab the swivel link bolts to and single bolt through frame with no rear reinforcement Plus in order to adjust the bar u have to take the swivel links out and screw them in or out vs rodend links with an adjuster . We will see how it stands up against my stage motor .

Why doesn't any of the Buick vendors pick up and sell the hellwig bars? They are inexpensive enough for a small mark-up and still be a few hundred less than most other name brand bars.
Ohh and they work GREAT.

TURBOPOWERED68 said:
Why doesn't any of the Buick vendors pick up and sell the hellwig bars? They are inexpensive enough for a small mark-up and still be a few hundred less than most other name brand bars.
Ohh and they work GREAT.

I think you need stock lca's for that bar right?

Hellwig makes a pro touring bar that looks similar to the rest except the hardware is shit. They have rubber bushings that push into the links that are adjustable if you pull them off. Just by looking at the harware you know its going to bind .You want the bar to move smoothly if it has to. Its better than stock if you must save the money. If they had heim joints or links like the Gns bar has it would be a way nicer set up. I have seen all them right in front of me except for the one Gns sells which looks real nice in the new picture above. Scott I would update that picture for sure. Scott, I was not knocking your set up. For someone to keep making parts for these cars is real cool. I cant wait to get the digital tail lights and maybe the rear bar. Keep the new parts coming

Scott I would update that picture for sure. Scott, I was not knocking your set up. For someone to keep making parts for these cars is real cool. I cant wait to get the digital tail lights and maybe the rear bar. Keep the new parts coming
I know you weren't knocking it, You actually got me to look at my site and notice I still have the old picture up and I will change it as soon as I can.... ;)

chopped39 said:
Hellwig makes a pro touring bar that looks similar to the rest except the hardware is shit. They have rubber bushings that push into the links that are adjustable if you pull them off. Just by looking at the harware you know its going to bind .You want the bar to move smoothly if it has to. Its better than stock if you must save the money. If they had heim joints or links like the Gns bar has it would be a way nicer set up. I have seen all them right in front of me except for the one Gns sells which looks real nice in the new picture above. Scott I would update that picture for sure. Scott, I was not knocking your set up. For someone to keep making parts for these cars is real cool. I cant wait to get the digital tail lights and maybe the rear bar. Keep the new parts coming

I have put A LOT of miles on mines and no binding no problems, I guess I am lucky?

That's good information on the sway bars. So I don't really want to sacrifice safety or drastically alter the handling at 120+ mph. And I understand the purpose of the sway bars and how they help control body roll when cornering. However for my benefit, can I please get how removing the front sway bar and installing these aftermarket rear bars help with traction off the line?

Removing the front sway bar not only removes weight off the front end it also allows the front suspension to lift quicker transferring weight to the rear quicker

Back