Who's ready for some 3800 power?!

There are some bigger companies Intense and zz performance among others that stock everything for this engine. Its not any more expensive to build a 3800 than a 3.8 . The forged pistons that they sell are pricey but if there was more sold it would come down. I could have done the ls too but I'm so burnt out on seeing another ls1 transplant. Just like seeing a 350 chevy just makes me want to puke.
Well for me seeing grand nationals at shows is very boring to me. They're all the same color, they all have the same exact looking turbo setup. Think about that...

Then again I don't have the love of these turbo buicks yet because my car has only been a project car so far, it never ran right since I owned it, I havent owned it long. Now I'm working on the body and I need to put in patch panels, so it will be awhile before I get to see what all the fuss is about.

I think instead of dealing with the headaches these cars come with I might just swap in the series 2 3800 and go from there. I plan to put the turbo on the driverside some how because I'm literally so tired of the same looking engine bay all these cars have.

Like this
agevytub.jpg

this side I went with a upward facing wastegate that will sit just behind the turbo and if used, will clear the stock style turbo shield. while the setup isn't a "WG priority" style manifold, I still think it should hold safe controllable boost.

and it'll look way cooler too!

I finish welded the entire set of headers, but I forgot to take a picture of them fully welded... but we still get a good idea of what they look like and they should flow great.

That's some nice work! You wouldn't happen to have a set of turbo headers for a 2000 Camaro would you?

Adapter is expensive. I have a link for one. Will link after class.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I don't know why you'd want to put a 4l80e behind a 3800. Just not necessary .4l60e will bolt right up

You would need a adaptor for the 60* block. Lonnie might make one?
He v6 fbodys use the 4l80 right? The bell housing works maybe that's all you need to bolt it to the engine?

I was more talking about he tranny mount.

He v6 fbodys use the 4l80 right? The bell housing works maybe that's all you need to bolt it to the engine?

I was more talking about he tranny mount.

Um no they use a 4l60e and for a Manuel a t5. For the mounting you'd have to use my adapter or fab something for the 4l60e to work. It's longer than a 2004r.

Um no they use a 4l60e and for a Manuel a t5. For the mounting you'd have to use my adapter or fab something for the 4l60e to work. It's longer than a 2004r.

Ok got mixed up, so v6 Camaro is 4L60e and v8 Camaro 4L80e?

The 4L80e is a very tough trans. It will hold more power than a 4L60e. A friend of mine had one behind his turbo LS402 trans am. Ran 9s at 145 with a stock trans and shift kit. I'd put a stock one of those behind it before a built 4L60e any day. I'll get the link for the adapter. Nothing against you OP. Just my opinion.

Link: http://www.transmissionadapters.com/GM 3800 series.htm

Last edited:
The 4L80e is a very tough trans. It will hold more power than a 4L60e. A friend of mine had one behind his turbo LS402 trans am. Ran 9s at 145 with a stock trans and shift kit. I'd put a stock one of those behind it before a built 4L60e any day. I'll get the link for the adapter. Nothing against you OP. Just my opinion.

Link: http://www.transmissionadapters.com/GM 3800 series.htm

You can have whatever opinion you want. By trade I'm a transmission builder so I know the ins and outs about the 4l60 and 4l80. So your telling me everyone interested in installing a 3800 wants and is going to run 9's?? 4l80 is just a 400 with a overdrive. Which sucks a lot more power to use. A $500 adaptor,The controller would be more money too. I'd rather run a 2004r with that adaptor if I wasn't running the ready to bolt on 60* 4l60 .Unless it's a race car.Just makes no sense. There are plenty 4l60's running nines with no issues. I was just explaining to wahoo that they never had a 4l80 in a Camaro , that's it. Run what you want.
Back to thread topic.

Headers are done now to the down pipe. Wahoo!!

Last edited: