Who's ready for some 3800 power?!

I think I can help some with this. I did a lot of research on the header design a few years ago and found that a stepped exhaust system is the best way to go. 1.5" primaries on the both sides into a 2" cross over to start. About 2/3 across increase it to a 2.125" diameter. On the passenger side increase diameter to 2.5" so the exhaust will expand and let the turbo to spool better. Look at some of the stepped headers that are used in the faster Buicks and you can see what I'm suggesting.;)

Charlie doesn't expansion cool the exhaust or is it non existant due to the velocity of gases going through the pipes?

Charlie doesn't expansion cool the exhaust or is it non existent due to the velocity of gases going through the pipes?
That's why the primary tubes are small and the crossover and passenger log are stepped up slightly. The exhaust cools some in the crossover and is re-ignited once it gets to the passenger side and a larger tube on that side helps with the expansion to speed the exhaust up some.;) Let's not hijack this thread anymore so we can see how things are coming along.:cool:

2014-09-08 18.28.37.jpg
2014-09-08 18.28.37.jpg
2014-09-08 18.49.29.jpg
2014-09-08 19.50.57.jpg

Nice. I didn't realize that the S2/3 had so much potential. If I didn't have so much wrapped up parts for my GN and a wife who would kill me if I attempted to something like this, I might. I will be adding a Grand Prix, with a Series 3 to collection soon. It will be a daily driver for my son. We are buying it off my cousin, assuming things don't change.

The series 2/3 engines are basically a short deck Stage II for street use. The only thing that would be nice is if it had the extra head bolts like the stage II block and heads.;)

The series 2/3 engines are basically a short deck Stage II for street use. The only thing that would be nice is if it had the extra head bolts like the stage II block and heads.;)
Ya they are very short, and the exhaust ports are so low in the head as well that I was actually kinda concerned that a nice set of headers would even be plausable befor having to make the turn for the crossover section in the oil pan. Luckily it all fits together good

That's awesome. So with the build these things can produce serious power and not have to worry the block failing.

That's awesome. So with the build these things can produce serious power and not have to worry the block failing.
Not worry as much, but they can still break. The blocks use cross bolted mains so it's a much more stable block.;)

My DD has a series II, never realized all the potential sitting there, come replacement time, I may just pull it for such a build in the future. Subscribed.

I would love to do a series 2/3 supercharged in my Jeep.:cool::confused: But it would be too easy just to drop in a LS due to aftermarket support.

There are some bigger companies Intense and zz performance among others that stock everything for this engine. Its not any more expensive to build a 3800 than a 3.8 . The forged pistons that they sell are pricey but if there was more sold it would come down. I could have done the ls too but I'm so burnt out on seeing another ls1 transplant. Just like seeing a 350 chevy just makes me want to puke.