14's with slicks and race gas??? OH NO!

MidGaGN

The "Computer Guy"
Title says it all.... I have no idea what the deal is..

Here's my setup:
Hot wired warboro pump
4" front mount
Turbonetics Delta Gate and boost controller
T64E Turbo
3K stall
Unopened 109 block
Scanmaster
3" downpipe to split 2" exhaust
vacuum brake conversion
85mm maf
translator
TT chip (pump gas)
65lb injectors
Fbody radiator
Poston headers and poston crossover

With 10" slicks and c12 I ran a best of 14.86 at 20lbs of boost with 750 o2 count....My fastest trap speed was in the 90's:eek: With this setup I'd imagine I'd be into the low 11's at least. I turned the boost down because I was experiencing sneeze at the top end so it's set to the chips recommendations of 16-18lbs.

Engine temp was 180F-190F and I experienced zero knock.

I have no idea whats going on. Any suggestions?

BTW: After this weekend this is what our local GTO owner made... I'm 1badgn...:frown:
082c97c578c9b45ac2a4cbc5d76c1ec2.jpg

Option #1 Are you SURE that you brought the GN to the track? After an all night drunk, you might have taken the wifes honda by mistake.:eek:

Option #2 Next time release the parking brake.;)

Option #3 We don't know you.:rolleyes:

Hope this clears things up.

Option #1 Are you SURE that you brought the GN to the track? After an all night drunk, you might have taken the wifes honda by mistake.:eek:
Wife drives a 400hp jag, I've ran better times in it:frown:
Option #2 Next time release the parking brake.;)
Ok
Option #3 We don't know you.:rolleyes:
Awesome, thanks for the help...lol

Hope this clears things up.
It doesn't...

Seriously, I ran better times stock! lol This stuff seriously doesn't make any sense:confused: ... I left on the foot brake at 3K rpm.

check that the plug wires are on the correct plugs and coil towers
(seriously, this happened to a friend of mine)

pull plugs and inspect

check compression and leak-down.

check cam lift

still running a catalytic converter?

Bob

Did you put more timing in the chip for the c-12 gas?

Are you sure that you were at 20 lbs boost?

At what MPH did your scanmaster record these 750 O2s?

Durring this top end "sneeze", did the car make poping noises like you were floating valves due to weak valve springs, or did it cut out like a weak ignition problem?

Did you have any boost built on a foot brake lauch, or are you just flat footing it when the light goes green (sure way to attain LOW et's)

Why only 20# of boost on race gas???? What was the race gas/street gas mix?

Somethin' strange is going on!! I run way quicker on a lot less, and with straight 93 and street tires.

I guess this begs the question, how much track experience do you have?

Somethings not right what you have listed in your combo you should be in the 11s i ran a 14.6 with a smoking stock turbo and a shuddering trans in 14lbs of boost

why do Buick guys go to the track an run 18/20#s of boost :confused: ??? then come on here and cry.. Leave the car on the street and bench race it :p

Don't you drive the car around??? surely you would know it was running like crap !!???

check that the plug wires are on the correct plugs and coil towers
(seriously, this happened to a friend of mine)

pull plugs and inspect

check compression and leak-down.

check cam lift

still running a catalytic converter?

Bob

I don't have a cat. I'll do a plug, compression check. How do I check cam lift?

Did you put more timing in the chip for the c-12 gas?

Are you sure that you were at 20 lbs boost?

At what MPH did your scanmaster record these 750 O2s?

Durring this top end "sneeze", did the car make poping noises like you were floating valves due to weak valve springs, or did it cut out like a weak ignition problem?

Didn't change the timing just ran 2lbs higher boos.
My gauge reads 20lbs. This is from the vaccume block on top of the TB.
MPH was 92 at the quarter.
The sneeze is the same sound heard when you suddenly let out of the throttle. Compressure surge is the proper term I believe. However i see this at WOT

Did you have any boost built on a foot brake lauch, or are you just flat footing it when the light goes green (sure way to attain LOW et's)

Why only 20# of boost on race gas???? What was the race gas/street gas mix?

Somethin' strange is going on!! I run way quicker on a lot less, and with straight 93 and street tires.

I guess this begs the question, how much track experience do you have?
I didn't see the boost but I did wait until the rpm was at 3K then floored it.
It was a 1gal 93 to 6 gal c12 mix. I didn't want to go too crazy on a stock 109 block.
I know, I ran low 13's on the stock setup. I have alot of track experience. My r/t's were .050 consistantly but still pulled 2.xx 60fts???:confused:

why do Buick guys go to the track an run 18/20#s of boost :confused: ??? then come on here and cry.. Leave the car on the street and bench race it :p
Don't you drive the car around??? surely you would know it was running like crap !!???

That's the thing though. I DAILY drive this car and it's fine. Excellent idle, no hiccups, smooth cruising... nothing! It still gets up and goes but not like it should. It doesn't even spin in first at wot... :confused: That's why I'm confused.

How tall a tire and what gears in the butt?
26" tire and stock gears

tuning probs big time or serious engine issues.

That's what I'm afraid of....

Do a compression test and get back to us. Leaving with 0 boost and at 20 psi or 18 for that matter you still should have ran much better than that. Did the car pull hard the whole way down the track?

How's the trans?

Rebuilt by a few years ago by a company that I'll never take it to again. There's a good possibility that the trans has something to do with it....

Do a compression test and get back to us. Leaving with 0 boost and at 20 psi or 18 for that matter you still should have ran much better than that. Did the car pull hard the whole way down the track?

The car takes a second to reach full boost, then after 85 seems to die off. It pulls hard mid rpm but has nothing up top.
Is there a certain kit I need for a compression test? I've never done one.

With it running fine daily it's almost like the timing is 180 out something weird like that. BTW: drove it to work this morning, pulls 20lbs of vacuum stopped, no smoking, back firing or anything.
Only thing I noticed was that when the cruise is on and I'm going down hill (only) the idle seems to get rough. Turn cruise off going down hill and the idle is fine.

Fuel Pressure?

Recheck your fuel pressure. My setup is close to yours and my fuel pressure went out of adjustment one day for no apparent reason. Dropped to about 36lbs line off if I remember right. WOT felt like I was towing a mustang until I checked and readjusted back to 43.

Recheck your fuel pressure. My setup is close to yours and my fuel pressure went out of adjustment one day for no apparent reason. Dropped to about 36lbs line off if I remember right. WOT felt like I was towing a mustang until I checked and readjusted back to 43.

That's strange. The fuel pressure is right around 36lbs. But I was running rich at 18lbs according to the scanmaster... I'll adjust it this afternoon and let you know.

Just go to a parts store and ask for a compression tester. Its a gauge you screw into the spark plug holes. Sounds like a problem i was having were the car would reach a certain point up top and not want to pull anymore. Do a comp test if everything checks out then work on the tune. Check timing, fuel pressure at idle and make sure its going up with boost 1lb fuel per lb of boost, ect ect.

That's strange. The fuel pressure is right around 36lbs. But I was running rich at 18lbs according to the scanmaster... I'll adjust it this afternoon and let you know.

Is this with the vacuum line on or off? Fuel pressure should always be set with the vac line off... How many miles on the valve springs? Double check all of your i/c piping connections, could be losing boost somewhere.

3" downpipe to split 2" exhaust

Sounds VERY restrictive, look into a Hooker or Pypes system.

The sneeze is the same sound heard when you suddenly let out of the throttle. Compressure surge is the proper term I believe. However i see this at WOT

Make sure your Deltagate hasn't gone bad...