200-4R Rebuild Tools

chevybelly

Output Shaft Positioning Tool:

kent moore wants $250 for JUST the output shaft support fixture. I found the mounting bracket with the adjusting bolt used but im wondering about the shaft support fixture that slides over the output shaft . Can I just use a driveshaft yoke or something homemade? I heard I dont even need the tool, but it makes life easy. Ive been researching this tranny for sometime now, and have a spare 200-4r to rebuild before I touch my CZF unit. Im crossreferencing the atsg rebuild book with the step by step rebuild on ttype.org. I plan on getting the dvd soon. Anyone know where I can get the complete tool affordably?

I made my own out of some 1/8" plate steel. Drilled two mounting holes and welded a nut on the plate to set the output end play with an adjustment bolt.

I made my own out of some 1/8" plate steel. Drilled two mounting holes and welded a nut on the plate to set the output end play with an adjustment bolt.

yea, the more I looked at the tool, I started thinking I could do the same. I need a welder! I could probably make the measurements and bring the stuf to someone to weld up the tool for me. Thanks for the idea! More tools questions to come!

any special snap ring pliers I should get? I was thinking check napa. they usually have good tools

I did the same thing as V6RACER and just made my own. I use a clean 27 spline yoke and the adjustment screw puts the pressure on that so the output shaft is held in the proper position. Cost me all of 1hr of time with welding as I had the metal already laying around. :D

Like you, I am a diy guy that probably won't use the tools more than a few times so I watch ebay. I'm sure I paid less than $50 for the one I have as I usually don't spend that much. I also have several different kinds of low/reverse tools and was going to see which kind worked best for me.

If I didn't have to go to work and go to youth sports and other youth activities, I'd probably have one or two transmissions built by now.

tools

As others--made the rear support tool--only tool I bought was the low reverse tool.

As others--made the rear support tool--only tool I bought was the low reverse tool.

I bought the low/rev removal tool off ebay, used an old engine stand to make a transmission stand. Works very well.

I bought the low/rev removal tool off ebay, used an old engine stand to make a transmission stand. Works very well.

so other than the low reverse and output shaft positioner, any others come in mind? I have a dial indicator w base and feeler gauges. Will a basic pair of snap ring pliers do the job?

The sky's the limit on what specialty tools you can use on the 200... While at Richard Clark's shop I learned about a few more tools that are available and some that were custom made that really help.

A pic would be nice as well please.

i have posted 4 pics for an explanation---------one pic shows the bracket----the blue one is a GM tool------the black one i made from 1/4" plate bent like the $GM tool--------the mounting holes line up with the tailstock holes and are 3.75 inch apart-------the two extra tapped holes I add to store the bolts between each use---------this is easy to make and dimensions are not at all critical--------the other GM part that slides over the tailshaft is shown beside a aluminum copy------the GM part is a two piece with a spring between the two ends to provide a certain amount of tension when setting output section end play but i find it unnecessary------- so I make a simplified one piece version from aluminum--------if you don't have a lathe you can always use a old U joint and cut the universal retainers off like i have shown beside an unmodified one-------this is really a perfect working part for nearly 0 cost---------if you really need dimensions i can send them to you but nothing is critical...............RC

Attachments

• DSC01160.JPG
    DSC01160.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 363
  • DSC01161.JPG
    DSC01161.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 401
  • DSC01162.JPG
    DSC01162.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 356
  • DSC01164.JPG
    DSC01164.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 353
Tool

Thanks Richard for the pics. Great idea on the bolt storage. I will be making one of these soon. Since I don't have a copy I guess I will have to mock it up before I bend or weld the plate.

My support tool is even more basic and simple. Should have made mine like Richard's but I saw these pieces and threw it together quickly. :biggrin:

Attachments

• 2004R_OutputSupport01.jpg
    2004R_OutputSupport01.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 319
  • 2004R_OutputSupport02.jpg
    2004R_OutputSupport02.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 315