2005 subaru legacy 3.8 turbo "the buckaru"

frank_ster

so 3 years ago i dropped in a 1987 buick 3.8 originally from a a park avenue into my subaru.

its daily driven and awd 5 speed auto with 4000 rpm stall megasquirt 3 and 65# injectors.

gets about 24 mpg highway and 16 sitting in traffic.

so far ran 13.3 1/4 mile at 10 lbs boost. the trans needs some modifications to improve this.

Attachments

• 270163_185422548189123_164306543634057_497768_2720908_n.jpg
    270163_185422548189123_164306543634057_497768_2720908_n.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 4,108
  • 283548_185422598189118_164306543634057_497769_1209441_n.jpg
    283548_185422598189118_164306543634057_497769_1209441_n.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,592
very interesting! very cool!
I had an '04 Forester XT and always wondered "what if".....

Damn that looks awesome. Always wondered about supercharging my moms '08 legacy 3.0r. That thing handles great. Or I could swap in a gn motor into it. But then again i don't have the fab skills to do the motor mounts and stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

I could provide a kit of motor mounts headders up pipe accessory brakets
Megasquirt harness and stock Subaru crank and cam signal spoofer

So the cruise control will even work !

frank_ster said:
I could provide a kit of motor mounts headders up pipe accessory brakets
Megasquirt harness and stock Subaru crank and cam signal spoofer

So the cruise control will even work !

In regards to putting a gn motor into the legacy?

Also pm'ed.

Awesome! I love wierd stuff and putting a buick 6 into a subaru is definitly wierd. I cant imagine how much crap you get from hardcore subaru guys saying you could put in a turbo WRX engine. Probably the coolest engine swap ive seen in a while.

Mine originally came with a turbo 2.5 same as a sti
This is by far a reliability power and shit load of torque improvement

^ yep into any subaru it can be done ! all the parts i made are cnc cut or cnc machined and can be easily reproduced the headders i made i can jig them up to make more.
fyi a 2008 outback is pretty much identical to mine.

^ yep into any subaru it can be done ! all the parts i made are cnc cut or cnc machined and can be easily reproduced the headders i made i can jig them up to make more.
fyi a 2008 outback is pretty much identical to mine.

really the electronics, harness, and the adapter is all i need... i can fab the rest up pretty well.... or even just the plans for the mounts and trans adapter + schematics. Im a machinest and a electronics tech by trade so this has me very very interested.

whats the cost like in something like this if kept in a kit or plans?

i would be 100% down to purchase one... This would make my wife AND me feel better about this crappy ass outback that we bought NEW and has eaten a motor and 7 dbw throttle bodys~!

After doing more research.... My moms legacy 3.0r won't work too well cuz it's auto. I mean serious money would have to go into the tranny which wouldn't be with it.

^ oh realy ? That's funny because mine has the same exact trans as yours
A simple shift kit is needed for anything over 350 whp and or megashift tranny controler

really the electronics, harness, and the adapter is all i need... i can fab the rest up pretty well.... or even just the plans for the mounts and trans adapter + schematics. Im a machinest and a electronics tech by trade so this has me very very interested.

whats the cost like in something like this if kept in a kit or plans?

i would be 100% down to purchase one... This would make my wife AND me feel better about this crappy ass outback that we bought NEW and has eaten a motor and 7 dbw throttle bodys~!

So I have cad drawings for adapter plate headder flanges for the 87 fwd block an can make of any type.
For the Subaru ECM I have a portion of the megasquirt creating a fake cam and crank signal I have the Subaru maf connected as well as a few other sensors, the Subaru ECM can easily have the Troubble codes disabled using open source tuning software.
Mine is controled via drive by wire of the stock Subaru throttle body.
My car looks and feels like stock just with a tonne of torque and differed exhaust note.
I have a complete thread of all I did and learned since the beginnings on legacy gt.com
Thread is called my Subaru will beat with a Buick heart ! Everything and everything is in there.

As for the 5 speed auto tranny from Subaru there are guys running low 11's with stock trannys.
And even the 4 at has very good reputation

The 5 at has a weak point of the center differential but I developed a solution to this that is very simple

frank_ster said:
So I have cad drawings for adapter plate headder flanges for the 87 fwd block an can make of any type.
For the Subaru ECM I have a portion of the megasquirt creating a fake cam and crank signal I have the Subaru maf connected as well as a few other sensors, the Subaru ECM can easily have the Troubble codes disabled using open source tuning software.
Mine is controled via drive by wire of the stock Subaru throttle body.
My car looks and feels like stock just with a tonne of torque and differed exhaust note.
I have a complete thread of all I did and learned since the beginnings on legacy gt.com
Thread is called my Subaru will beat with a Buick heart ! Everything and everything is in there.

As for the 5 speed auto tranny from Subaru there are guys running low 11's with stock trannys.
And even the 4 at has very good reputation

The 5 at has a weak point of the center differential but I developed a solution to this that is very simple

In that respect including your previous post, it is doable and im still interested.

i want to do this man. i am totally with you and my wife even says to do .... add one more freak to my yard of all buick transplants!

I vote this for coolest buick swap of this year.