You can type here any text you want

3.90:1 Gears -- too much gear?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

PsYcHo GN

Member Extraordinaire
The GN I recently purchased has 3.90 gears in it. Is this too much gear for these cars? It has a DRW built 2004R trans with a 3000 stall. Since it has overdrive, it is not bad driving it on the highway. I plan on driving this car almost on a daily basis.

Does having too much gear in these cars affect the performance? Would I be better reverting back to 3.42 or 3.73 gears?

In my honest opinion, yes, those are too much. At the most a 3.73 would be the limit, especially considering that these motors are torque motors that are not reved much past 5K in stock form. Now, if you had a big tired Stage II setup that would be revving to 9500, that's another story. There are quiet a few heavy hitters that still run 3.42 gears in mid to low 8 second cars around the country. Even with TH400 trannies. Even when these types of combos step up to a Ford 9", they still try to get a gear set that is as close to the 3.42s as possible. Being the 3.50 ratio. With 3.90s and a 200 trans, on 26" tall tires, you would be running into OD well before the finish line. Once you start making more power, that 4th gear ain't gonna last too long. I have personally run the factory 3.42 gears in all 3 of the Turbo Buicks that I've owned since '94. Going from 14.00s to 10.00s, with the biggest tire I've run being a Phoenix 28.5x10.5 slick.
My advice, put the 3.42s back in and ride.

Patrick

Back