You can type here any text you want

70mm throttle body vs stock throttle body

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

qws2000

Well last week I traded for a RJC 70mm throttle body and a power plate. I thought it was a great deal, but I just talked with the builder of my motor and he told me that the 70mm is garbage and does nothing for both iteams. Did I make a bad decision? I see a lot of guys with this combo... I gave away a turbo 49 used, throttle body and plate still new in box..

I recently went from a 70mm back to a stock unit. The 70mm seemed to have a bit better off idle throttle response but over-all I didn't see a difference in the seat-o-the-pants meter. The stock TB has gone 9's.

The power plate seems to be more of a controversial item; we put one on this car and I was able to turn the boost up about 2# without knock.

Might not make any gains with stock type items I.E. Heads,cam,turbo. But start to add and it will make it easier to make HP. The power plate will let you get more boost with less knock. That is proven

Garbage? Been running mine for years. It may not make anymore HP but it sure is pretty.:D

The builder told me I will not see any HP ^ at all it, all it will do is make the car drive like crap. He told me flat out that; If it was his car he would never put that bigger combo on his car... Well I told him we agree to disagree, so I told him put the parts on and lets see what happns..... he is a very old school guy, dsnt even like the alky system....

Alky Systems helped win WWII tell'm....(Added to the Supercharged Aircraft Motors they gain alot over factory specs.)

The builder told me I will not see any HP ^ at all it, all it will do is make the car drive like crap. He told me flat out that; If it was his car he would never put that bigger combo on his car... Well I told him we agree to disagree, so I told him put the parts on and lets see what happns..... he is a very old school guy, dsnt even like the alky system....
Good answer.

It's not a venturi, so it's not like having a ''too big'' throttlebody is going to screw up your fueling.

It will make your car more 'jumpy' as soon as you crack the throttle. The reason is if you push the gas pedal just a little bit, the larger TB will flow about double the air of a stocker. Mentally it makes the car feel faster because you didn't have to stab the pedal to get the same result.

The only real downside is if you're needing to be in PE mode and the TPS reading is too low to put you there. Since it take less degrees of rotation to flow serious air, that's just a possibility. Then again I've never heard of anyone complaining about that issue.

In my case, I'm thinking about removing my bored out TB and replacing it with my stocker just to see if I can get u my driveway without spinning. Either that, or make a much longer throttle arm so I can get some resolution back.

The Bigger T/B will not pick up any power for you and I really dont know if that combo with a power plate corrects any distribution problems or not. What I have seen with bigger T/B is you get more airflow for a lesser opening of the blade. What does this matter? 2 things, you will have more airflow at a lower tps voltage and depending on what chip and airflow measuring unit you are using it Can cause you issues best check with your chip guy to see if anything needs adjusted. Second thing is you will have the same lesser throttle blade opening more boost issue in respect to your trans TV cable pull, depending on the pressure rise of your trans hydraulic circuit on part throttle/ higher boost situation again you Could have issues. Just some things you might want to know about, one change almost always affectcs something else. And yes they do look good. HTH

Throttle response is so much better with an accufab, as far as HP I doubt theirs an increase.

no gains on multiple purpose built combo's.save your $$ and port out the stocker for alittle more.

I prefer a stock over the larger ones. Until your car is needing the larger volume, which is not most TB's, all the the bigger pipes, bigger this and that yadda yadda is nothing more than something you can put in your signature to feel like the car is more bad ass. Simple combos, simple parts usually run best.

Back