8 second OEM 4 link drag race chassis setup

I'm starting to think drag radials need a different shock/ spring arrangement than what I am running now. I think they will work better with a looser front shock setting than what I run now. FYI the front spring rate isn't correct with my setup and the QA1 spring selection isn't very good. I have the TRZ setup that'll let me run the correct spring rate but haven't installed them yet. This may be the reason my car is so sensitive to front shock settings.

I'd say it's valid. Although I control all loading of the rear tires with the anti-roll bar.

On the subject of front end travel. I have found anything under 1.5 or so can make the car inconsistent. If I still have wheelie issues at 1.5 of travel, I'll add weight to the nose. When the travel gets down to that low point, each 1/4 turn on the adjuster becomes a large change and that's just too fine of a range to control in. The other issue is the spring rate becomes much more important. Not enough spring rate and the car doesn't want to transfer, too much rate and the car will not settle away from the limiters. This causes you to have even less travel than you expected.

My car is not very sensative to front shock adjustments. I figure it's because there is so little travel. The biggest issue was the nose diving too hard when going from acceleration to braking. Stopping from 148 on some of the short 1/8 mile tracks, you get on the brakes hard right at the lights. I have to run compression full tight.

I used to have to correct steering under braking with the old setup. I would have to steer left when I got on the brakes hard. That was with the weight light on the left front. That problem seems to have gone away after setting it heavier on the left front.

Well at least something is looking better Donnie. Braking issues can sometimes be solved with a pressure gauge. See what the the pressure is at each wheel so you know if there's an issue.

All this technical talk is killing me Donnie. I am a picture book guy. Post some more pictures...LOL:biggrin:

I am a chassis guy and love an awesome set-up. My next Turbo Buick is going to be off the wall. I do not want to hack up this low mile car, but now that I am hook on these little V-6 sumbitcchhes, I am going total home fabbed on everything. You have only seen the tip of the iceburg of what my CNC thing-a-ma-bob can do. I will be picking your brain along the way.

Take care,
Coach

All this technical talk is killing me Donnie. I am a picture book guy. Post some more pictures...LOL:biggrin:

I am a chassis guy and love an awesome set-up. My next Turbo Buick is going to be off the wall. I do not want to hack up this low mile car, but now that I am hook on these little V-6 sumbitcchhes, I am going total home fabbed on everything. You have only seen the tip of the iceburg of what my CNC thing-a-ma-bob can do. I will be picking your brain along the way.

Take care,
Coach
Dang, Coach, I'm all pictured out.

An interesting experience at the track last night. My car is still down for some small changes, but I went to the track to watch. The fastest street car challenge was running.
A fella had brought a 1968 Chevelle to the track with a BBC and 3 stage NOS system. The stock style suspension components were being used. The Chevelle suspension is very similar, if not exactly the same as the TRs. A lot of TRZ suspension parts in the front and coilover shocks in the rear with adjustable uppers and a disconnected roll bar. A stock 12 bolt rearend housing was being used and he had a bracket at the rear uca mounting point to allow a raised mounting point. The rear tires were nicely tucked into the fenders and with a recent addition of the rear coilovers, he had lowered the riding height in the rear to give the car a level rake look.
After watching him make his first pass, I was interested in checking out his suspension setup. I had met him at a previous track meet and knew he was running the stock style suspension setup. This car was also the one that was used as a suspension example for the El Camino Chevelle that won the 'Drag Race High' challenge. He had since done some changes to the rear suspension though.
He had some major problems on the first pass. As soon as torque was put to the car, the tires would blow away, no matter how far down the track he had progressed.
After taking a quick peek at his rear suspension, he told me he had disconnected the rear roll bar because of his traction problem. That really didn't make much sense to me and I ignored that. I noticed the uca rear mount was in the raised location and that the lca was pointing downward viewing rear to front. The car was lowered that much. I asked him if he had plotted his IC and he replied that he had not. He was obviously at a point in his knowledge of suspension setup that I was at not too long ago.
I made the comment that his IC looked to be short and low, and that he should plot it out. I left it at that and went back to spectating.
His next pass looked the same as the first. Just horrible. I have a soft spot for the 1968 Chevelle. It's what I terrorized the streets with when I was in high school, so I went over to talk with him again. He said that he had changed the uca mounting back to the stock location for the second pass with little change in the way it hooked. I confirmed that for him. I went ahead and mentioned that I thought he had lowered the car too much and that he should raise the ride height until the lca was, at the very least level, if not pointed upward a little viewing from rear to front. I then went back to 'spectator mode'.
His next pass was much better. The tires absolutely hooked on the launch. So well that he momentarily backed out of the throttle, later telling me that he thought the power was down since the engine rpm didn't rise like he expected. That will happen when the tires hook.
The car was still a little loose on the top end where he brought in the other stages, but the improvement was very noticeable. At least, the tires weren't simply blowing away. I went back to his pit where he, along with his helper confirmed that the suspension change did make a difference.
I think they were just as surprised as I was as to how much it did. He was off to a good start in learning about the importance of suspension setup.
By the way, he was running a 10" slick.

You're beginning to think less linear Donnie. That's a good thing. Sounds like you're having fun and helping others with their learning curve. How much longer until you get the car back up. Waiting on your results.

You're beginning to think less linear Donnie. That's a good thing. Sounds like you're having fun and helping others with their learning curve. How much longer until you get the car back up. Waiting on your results.
The ECM is due back Monday or Tuesday and some minor wiring and wastegate/BOV control plumbing to do. Most of that already done.
The ECM MAP resolution (behind the scene) is supposed to be vastly improved and much more accurate, as far as 100 kPa actually being 100 kPa, than the past software versions, so I'll be checking the fuel table out a bit before the next test and tune. Biting at the bit.

Back to the 4 link. Let's see if we can better the 1.271 60'.
This is where the 4 link is set at now.
This setting will pull the wheels, but not violently.
Traction down track is lacking.

Attachments

• 4 link adjust startrs.jpg
    4 link adjust startrs.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 455
I plan on making two control arm mount changes. The first one will be the UCA frame mount, lowered 1.00".
After I make this first change, I'll do some testing before making the second.

Attachments

• 4 link adjust UCA dwn 1.jpg
    4 link adjust UCA dwn 1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 484
The second change will be moving the LCA axle mounting up 1.00". This will leave very little clearance, control arm rod end to the axle tube. The LCA will still be low in the back by 1/8" from having the LCA perfectly parallel with the ground.

Attachments

• 4 link adjust UCA ft dwn 1 LCA rr up 1.jpg
    4 link adjust UCA ft dwn 1 LCA rr up 1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 467
With both changes and a rise of both the front and rear of one inch, the IC is on the neutral line, forward of CG.

Attachments

• 4 link adjust UCA ft dwn 1 LCA rr up 1 1 inch rise.jpg
    4 link adjust UCA ft dwn 1 LCA rr up 1 1 inch rise.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 466
One inch of rise of both the front and rear with only the first change done.

Attachments

• 4 link adjust UCA ft dwn 1 1 inch rise.jpg
    4 link adjust UCA ft dwn 1 1 inch rise.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 424
Same setup as the last post, but with a 1.4" body rise in the front and rear. Notice how this setup nearly maintains the anti-squat percentage as the body rises. This may turn out to be too aggressive. Only testing will tell.

Attachments

• 4 link adjust UCA ft dwn 1 1.4 inch rise.jpg
    4 link adjust UCA ft dwn 1 1.4 inch rise.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 455
I'm thinking of doing something like what Nascar is doing with their link adjustment. Slotting the mounting locations with an oval that will accept an adapter with the control arm mounting hole in the adapter. Different adapters can be setup with an infinite range of mounting hole locations within a particular range.

I know I sent you the link to my car thread Donnie. I'll PM you some of the changes to the frame that I"ll not be posting. Relocat the spring perches like I did and you'll get more bite out of the rear when you do the other mods.

Thanks Charlie for reminding me. That will be the third mod, if it's needed. The car is launching pretty well with the present setup. The proposed 4 link changes should only make the launch even more aggressive. I'm sure there will be a point where you don't want the launch too aggressive. For that reason, I want to analyze each change, one at a time.

Here's a setup that I'm kinda fond of. This one looks very promising. This setup came about by taking the first change (UCA frame mount) and increasing it by only .05".
UCA frame mount down 1.05".
LCA axle mount up 1.00".

Attachments

• 4 link adjust UCA ft dwn 1.05 LCA rr up 1.jpg
    4 link adjust UCA ft dwn 1.05 LCA rr up 1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 439
This is the same setup from the last post at a .80" body rise, front and rear.

Attachments

• 4 link adjust UCA ft dwn 1.05 LCA rr up 1 .80 rise.jpg
    4 link adjust UCA ft dwn 1.05 LCA rr up 1 .80 rise.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 424
It's very apparent that being able to control the position of the two control arm mounting points that I will be playing with to within a half of a tenth of an inch will be a great advantage to really getting this chassis dialed in.
The range that I will be wanting to play with at each mounting location, it appears, will be within a 1/2 to 3/4" range.