'86 T-type alcohol sounds good in more ways than one.....

ttypetex

From what I've been reading here on the forum, it appears that everybody likes alcohol injection. I don't find too many detractors on the subject.

After more than a decade collecting dust (rust), the old TR is running again, and really pretty well. It does have some ping with high boost (~18# or thereabouts), which leads me to the alcohol subject.

I seem to recall, this was years ago, that alcohol had some undesireable effects, i.e. corrosion on aluminum parts, etc. Wondering how that has played out over the years? Is there really anything debilitating doing this? Maybe I'm just recalling the effects of running high methanol levels in the gas tank. Are there any drawbacks at all?

If not, then I may decide to try alcohol injection. The set up will be my current level of boost on 93 octane. The only changes from stock are a home made adjustable wastegate and an upgraded turbo (the letters TA49 sound familiar to me). Have owned this car since new, so I've forgotten a lot. Oh, yes, using aftermarket valve cover breathers. Stock chip. Nothing else changed.

Had to do a lot to the ignition system to get it running again, but seems to be percolating pretty good now. However, with over 131K miles, the old gal doesn't need much hard spanking. Just want to spin the tires sometimes (Whee! Look at me, look at me!!!!) and run it up without hearing that ping.

So, what say about the alcohol injection biz? Can it corrode the plenum or intake manifold or any other parts? Or does no residual linger after flowing through? Am I too worried about this?

The only way you could corrode aluminum parts is dunking them in alcohol and letting them sit in it.

When you spray it, its a non issue.

Actually you can have a throttle blade full of oil and the alcohol wont wash it off.

Think of this, my engine is aluminum heads, aluminum throttlebody, aluminum intake, aluminum piping, etc.. never any corrossion.

HTH

Thanks reply. I've been seeing some info on "Razor" kits, so, I guess from your signature line, that is your product.

While I have you on the line, let me ask.....will there be a benefit using the kit with stock chip? Like I said, don't want to whip the old gal too hard.

Proverbs 21:9
King James best translation

Thanks reply. I've been seeing some info on "Razor" kits, so, I guess from your signature line, that is your product.

While I have you on the line, let me ask.....will there be a benefit using the kit with stock chip? Like I said, don't want to whip the old gal too hard.

Proverbs 21:9
King James best translation
That be me :wink:

The basics.
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator, "new" fuel pump/filter and hotwire kit, scantool(scanmaster), and an aftermarket street or alcohol chip.
Then.. adjustable WG actuator.. exhaust.. air filter(K&N).. update the hose clamps on the turbo hoses

Dont mess with the stock chip. And lastly.. if you have the dough.. spring for a new set of injectors.. cuase the OEM ones are 25 years old.

Stock injectors can be used as long as they are fine.(holds fuel pressure, all plugs look good, BL numbers good on scantool)

Thermostat should be changed to a 160.. chip maker will need to know this.

Chip.. TurboTweak Home or fullthrottle.com - Under Construction

However, with over 131K miles, the old gal doesn't need much hard spanking.

Nah, spank her like you mean it! I've run alcohol for over 40k miles, Razors kit for the past 25k or so, 156k miles on mine & 30psi on a regular basis;) I would check/replace your stock timing gears/chain though if you are going to push her a little:p