86 WH1 restomod

Mike looking good. Was over your way this last week wish I would have had time to stop in to say hi.

Wow man.....you are my kind of crazy.

One of the most impressive builds i have seen on this site in a loooong time.

How many pms have you got asking to buy the parts you made?:biggrin:

Thanks for all the compliments guys. It motivates me to do more and better parts. If I had more time and money I could make progress quicker, but I'm lacking both lately.

681tonburb - Next time you come this way bring that intercooler and some more projects for me. :biggrin:

notacarlo - It's a sickness, but it's also therapy. I've had quite a few PM's for parts. Sometimes it's tough for me to compete with company's that mass produce their parts, but I can make the one-of parts much cheaper than most shops. I'm pretty obsessive about the details on parts I make sometimes and I often end up spending way too much time that I can't consciously charge for. I don't think I'm unreasonable on price, but that's relative.

I think a lot of projects go on like this at performance shops all over the place, but most are too busy making money to post it on here. I'm doing it for fun. I also like seeing other build threads and getting ideas, so I'm returning the favor.

WIll do by the time Im done puting the GN back together Im sure Ill have you make a few more parts. Next time I come by Ill bring the intercooler and the dash and consol plate from my car so you will have them for a patern.

I've done a lot of parts gathering lately and a little parts making.

I have most of my motor now.
stage 2 on-center block 4.015 bore
BMS 3.59 stroke forged crank
Oliver billet rods (new)
Peterson single stage external oil pump
ATI balancer
JW flywheel
Jesel rockers
Isky lifters
Milodon gear drive
and lots of little odds and ends. Just needs pistons, rings, bearings and a cam.

I also decided to build my own sheetmetal valve covers and throttle body elbow.
I drew them up in cad.
stagesheetmetalparts.png

Machined the flanges from 3/8" flat bar in the mill.
IMG_0332.jpg

And tonight I cut the .090" aluminum sheet and bent it at a friends shop. Just some more touch up work on the valve covers and a couple strips to bend up for the plenum, then everything is ready to weld. I completely understand why sheetmetal valvecovers cost what they do, these are a lot of work to get everything to fit right and I still have a couple hours of welding for each one.
The aluminum is actually covered in a protective cover of clear pvc, so the marks you see are in the pvc, the aluminum is scratch free.
CIMG0888.jpg

CIMG0889.jpg

I've also made some header flanges and an oil pan flange. Yep, I'm making my own oil pan also. I'm sick in the head, or just too cheap to pay the big bucks for someone else to make it.
CIMG0816.jpg

those covers are a work of art. everything youve done is a work of art on this thread....your work is very impressive..coasting thru this thread makes me want to go outside and make something...too bad im not as skilled as you

Thanks for the compliment. Go make something, you have to start somewhere. Even if you start out making parts that you don't necessarily like, you learn something. I've been doing fabrication either as a job or as a hobby off and on for 15 years and I've made a lot of ugly parts. It's just a hobby now, but I still strive to make the perfect part. I haven't gotten there yet.

Hey Mike since you posted this i actually went outside and made some under hood braces and rear seat braces pretty easy but its funny bcuz i almost payed 5x more than what they cost me to do myself.. thanks for the motivation !

Thanks guys. I don't really have any updates. Too many other projects in the garage and I've spent too much time out of town for work.

I did sell off all of my stage 2 topend and bought some TA SE heads, champion intake, champion valve covers, crower billet rods and a few other parts. With my bonus check and some overtime pay, I've got all the money to finish my motor. I'm hoping santa will bring me some more parts. I'm just getting over the hump of spending money, and it's time to start pooring more labor into the car.

My rusty on center stage 2 block and intake.
CIMG0942.jpg

Mike,
Car looks great , Let me know when your up to it and Ill bring you that project we talked about and I still have that PTE FMIC.

hello; Nice work. Rack and pinion is just for weight saving correct?
I know it might be too soon but I would keep that 2 tone paint job.
IBBY

Just got me a 86 WH1 today waiting for it in the mail should be home soon Mike your thread is motivating.. !!

I assume your talking about one of the 1/18 scale GMP wh1's. I have one on my desk at work. I took the guts out of one of the 1/18 street fighter gnx cars with the weld wheels, racing seats etc.. and put it in the wh1. So I have a drag version of the wh1. :)

Subscribed...have to see this work of art to completion.

You and me both. I'm have one side project left in my shop. After that, I'm working on my car until I either run out of money or the car goes to the paint shop.

hello; Nice work. Rack and pinion is just for weight saving correct?
I know it might be too soon but I would keep that 2 tone paint job.
IBBY

Yes, it's for weight savings only. I've never driven a g-body with a rack conversion, but most say the steering angle is greatly reduced. If after I get it running, I don't like it, I'll pull it off and put a manual box back on.
The car will definitely stay two tone. I thought about painting it a solid color to save money, but I just can't do it to a somewhat rare car. The exterior will be mostly stock except for wheels and painted fiberglass bumpers. The interior will be stock appearing except for the cage and kirkey seats (with matching grey covers).