Add me to the list.........

Way2QWK

Turbo Spooled by CORN
Had a sudden engine knock noise start at idle. Just pulled the motor and discovered the damage. Junk Accufab throttle body screw came loose. Did a search and found others had it happen to them. wish I would have known about this last week when I still had a motor. Sucks cause the motor was just out less than 100 miles ago. I guess it can sit 3 more years now. Check out the pics on the link in my sig. EVERYONE CHECK YOU SCREWS if you have a accufab TB.

this really sucks. i lost a $1 in the bet of what cylinder the problem was in. anyways nick what do you think?

Did it make its way out the valve and eat the turbo as well???? Im sossy dude! I had that happen in a turbo Dodge !

Must have been over torqued, if the head popped off. I remove the screws and apply Loctite (red) and then clamp a 10" long steel shaft in a vise and then peen the screw thrreads with a center punch. If they ever need to be removed, I'll have to drill them out and start over with new screws. I use the steel shaft to place against the screw head and then peen the threads of the screw with the center punch. Quick and easy way to ensure they never come loose.

Can you detail what happened with the Accufav TB screw. I have that set up and I'm not sure what you mean. What exactly happened and what is it we should be checking? Thanks.

I'm assuming that one of the throttle blade screws snapped off. Was there a backfire ever through the intake or a sticking throttle blade against the T/B bore or some other binding force against the screws causing it to shear. Screws don't typically break for no reason. I would think that something had to cause it. But thanks for the heads up & sorry about your loss.

I'm assuming that one of the throttle blade screws snapped off. Was there a backfire ever through the intake or a sticking throttle blade against the T/B bore or some other binding force against the screws causing it to shear. Screws don't typically break for no reason. I would think that something had to cause it. But thanks for the heads up & sorry about your loss.

nothing sticking,no back fire ever. car was alittle above idle going into the drive way. but yes the head of the throttle body blade screw came off.

What does the cylinder wall and the head look like? If everything looks good except for the piston, can you just replace the piston and replace the screws in the throttle body.

David
87GN

cylinder wall looks good no damage at all. the head has one spot in it but it can be polished out. as far as the piston we cleaned it up and it will be fine to use per my engine guy. the only thing im worried about is the thrust bearing wear. the thrust bearing was down to the copper and the motor didnt even have 100 miles on it.

this really sucks. i lost a $1 in the bet of what cylinder the problem was in. anyways nick what do you think?

What I think - it is a shame that this has happened many times over the years due to the issue of the screw breaking and causing damage.

Accufab MUST be doing something wrong and will not admit it, or take any responsibility.:mad:

If enough "victims" pool their experiences and confront them with a serious action, maybe that would accomplish something?

There are many more stock throttle bodies on our cars, and never have heard of this problem from an untouched stock unit.:confused:

Maybe they have an assembly problem or a material problem, but ignoring it over many years really sucks. How can an owner check this, we cannot?

Too bad we have no alternative manufacturer for this part.:frown:

cheap quality bolts and over torquing is what i think the cause is. then again this throttle body has been on the car for several years now. it wasnt just the head of the bolt it was about half the bolt. it snaped at the threads about 5 threads down right around where the throttle body blade is.