You can type here any text you want

Adding cruise control to none cruise car

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

my85grandnation

85 Triple Threat
I was just wanting to know if anyone here has ever put cruise control on a non cruise controlled car. If so how hard is it and where can I find all of the parts. Please email me at dthom8787@yahoo.com or PM me. Thanks

my85grandnation said:
I was just wanting to know if anyone here has ever put cruise control on a non cruise controlled car. If so how hard is it and where can I find all of the parts. Please email me at dthom8787@yahoo.com or PM me. Thanks
Or post here for all to see!! Just was wondering that myself tonight when I saw the replacement turn signal stalk in Kirbans book. My T does not have cruise (yet), Personally I don't think it would be all that involved. Let's see.

Adding Cruise Control

Hi guys, over the past few years I have been gathering up parts to do the same. My 85 GN wasn't equipped with CC nor the third (high mount) brake light. I'm working on the brake light issue right now but hope to get to the CC mod before the snow flies. The parts I have been collecting came from various sources, wrecking yards, GNXguy and some from a private sale. I'm still looking for a source for the module (black box) that mounts adjacent to the "Convenience Centre" module under the dash. If I learn anything worthwhile I'll post back here. Hope you fellows do the same.
Parts that I think we need:
CC stalk
Servo and mounting bracket for inner fender
module
vacuum breaker and switch assembly for the brake pedal
wiring harness to tie it all together

Peter

I added cruise control along with a number of other options. Although, I did it sometime in the late 80s or early 90s.

You need the servo and its bracket that sit on the wheel well.
The cable that runs between the servo and the throttle arm.
Electrical harness to servo.
Turn signal stalk with cruise.
Brake pedal switch and harness.
I don't remember if there is a separate control box under the dash next to the steering column but there might be.

I have the part numbers on a receipt but I'd have to dig it up.
Getting the wire from the turn signal stalk down the steering column might have been the most challenging part of the installation. The rest wasn't too bad.

i got the under the hood parts for a cruise control install, taken out of an 85 buick regal non turbo.

Here's the cruise control page from the parts manual.

CruiseControl.gif

or just
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/jgme/CruiseControl.gif

Hopefully, it can be viewed.

the cheap way

it may not be the way you want to do it but you can buy the kit from JC whitney. it has an electronic, magnetic pickup for the driveshaft and cable to the throttle body. Plus a little control box you can mount anywhere. I had one on one of my TRs for years - it worked as good as the factory setups. but then it was JC Whitney.....

Thanks for the help guys hopefully this will help. Does anyone know if the cruise set up was the same on the non turbo regals or if its different because of the throttle body? Thanks again.

To answer your question. The only parts that are the same between a NA and your turbo is the CC wiring harness and the turn signal lever. The major pieces like the servo and module are turbo specific. The NA mounted the servo on the intake with a rod to the carb and the turbo was mounted on the wheelhouse with a cable to the throttle body. IMO it is a plug and play if you have all of the correct parts. It should be as simple as pluging the CC harness in to the dash harness which has all of your power sources and VSS references.

if anyone does a search

cruise control servo 25074627. $225 - $300 new. Rockauto has it.

I couldn't do a vehicle cross-reference (for the boneyard) at acdelco.com because the site is down. But, a gmparts web site list it as being on the century, riviera and skylark also???

Actually?

The servo only costs about 93.00 bucks at your local carquest or advance auto parts:) Just fixed mine about 2 weeks ago and the servo was junk.

The servo only costs about 93.00 bucks at your local carquest or advance auto parts:) Just fixed mine about 2 weeks ago and the servo was junk.

really...???

What was the part number?

hmmm...new servo or new outside window sweeps???...hmmm...

Autozone 38-1627. $82 + $20 core charge. (cardone)
advance auto - 38-1627. $122.99 + $5 core charge (cardone).

Interesting that acdelco.com has competitive cross reference to both 25074627 AND 25074628.

parts needed are in red....

1)install vacuum sevo under hood and connect to tb.(also theres vacuum supply located near the horns on the drivers fender,remove cap and plug in vacuum supply there.dont forget the ground the servo there where a grounding point already exists via 10mm bolt into the inner fender)
2)remove grommet (under steering shaft)from firewall and run the harness and vacuum line from servo to brake pedal and plug at the column .
3)install cruise module above gas pedal bracket,plug/harness is already there.
4)install new turn stalk with cruise.this is the hardest part.plug/harness already there too.
5)install cruise switch at brake pedal.again,the plug is already there.plug in the large vacuum line from the servo here.

test drive...the cruise light should work in the cluster also (its installed at the time of assembly).

go to a junk yard,pull all the parts from any fuel injected gm from the 80's or early 90's......

just pulled all these parts from my turbo riv and added cruise to my 87 T last year......after the cruise stalk/wire is run through the column,its all down hill from there....

Is there two cruise control switches too buy? I see one that has a Vac Line and one that has two connectors.

Back