You can type here any text you want

Advancement of fuel delivery?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Mathematically, the jetting I'm using should net around 300 hp, mathematically.
No one is sure why the net is less than the mathematical result. I've seen some speculate that the mixture of nitrous and methanol is so cold that a fairly complete combustion of all the fuel is impossible. I actually tend to agree with this thinking. Alcohol makes best power when the incoming mixture is at around 160 degrees F. This seems to net the best vaporization of the methanol fuel. I think that's why most don't bother with intercoolers. They let the raised charge air temp bring the mixture to an optimum temp. Of course, with the boost levels that are more common these days, the charge air temp can get quite a bit higher than 160 degrees F. Even after being mixed with the alcohol. That's why some blown alky applications have to run mixtures into the high 2s:1 to cool the charge down. Get too far above that optimum charge temp and bad things begin to happen fast with methanol.

I still feel your probably injecting 300hp worth of fuel and nos. The meth does contain more oxygen so in theory, it should net even more power but the cool combustion temp and the excessively retarded timing knocks much of the hit down.

Looking over all this info and seeing how much timing your pulling out, I have to wonder if the a/f ratio is even reading correctly. You have to be putting a ton of unburned fuel into the exhaust system. I'd tend to believe the motor would be happier with a 100-150 shot and more timing. Your already retarded at least 8* at your base of 30* while on the brake. An engine at 99kpa will take 38* easily while getting on the t-brake. Considering your engine is short stroke, it will take even more timing than an engine with a long stroke. Just looking over all of this. It would seem the engine with the proper amount of timing would need much less meth and nos to achieve the same result.

I still feel your probably injecting 300hp worth of fuel and nos. The meth does contain more oxygen so in theory, it should net even more power but the cool combustion temp and the excessively retarded timing knocks much of the hit down.

Looking over all this info and seeing how much timing your pulling out, I have to wonder if the a/f ratio is even reading correctly. You have to be putting a ton of unburned fuel into the exhaust system. I'd tend to believe the motor would be happier with a 100-150 shot and more timing. Your already retarded at least 8* at your base of 30* while on the brake. An engine at 99kpa will take 38* easily while getting on the t-brake. Considering your engine is short stroke, it will take even more timing than an engine with a long stroke. Just looking over all of this. It would seem the engine with the proper amount of timing would need much less meth and nos to achieve the same result.
I agree with you totally on your train of thought. I do think that there is still some untapped power with less timing retard on the nitrous. That is still to be explored, in due time.

About the timing off the nitrous, that has already been thoroughly explored. It had been suggested to me awhile back that I should be at around 40 degrees full load, off boost. When I had first started this project I felt the same way. The research I did on burning alcohol led me to believe an alcohol engine typically runs 5 to 15 degrees more timing than when on gasoline, due to the slower flame speed of methanol. And that's how the timing table was originally setup at the start of the project. I think it was as high as 45 degrees at one time early into the project. I soon lowered it when I found that the additional timing was making no difference in power. I decided to settle on MBT (minimum best timing).
Using my low stall torque converter as a torque gauge, I would record the stall obtained at WOT with different degrees of timing advance. Basically, there was no difference between 30 to 40 degrees. Stall started to fall a bit at 28 BTDC, so I settled on 30. Why run more timing if there wasn't any gain? That just increases pumping losses.
An interesting thing about methanol. The degree of required timing advance changes with the a/f ratio being used. If you're running very rich for intercooling, the required advance needs to be more due to the slower flame speed of a very rich air to methanol ratio. Then, you think that flame speed would increase as you work lean with methanol, and it does. But then, your reach a lean point where flame speed again slows. That's one reason why you can get into trouble working lean to rich with methanol. You reach a point where the flame speed increases, cylinder pressures climb, timing hasn't been changed to compensate for the increased flame speed, and with the mixture still on the dangerous lean side, all of a sudden you're in big trouble. I feel this is what got me in trouble with this latest tuning adventure.
Methanol is a very interesting fuel.

As far as using less nitrous and fuel and more timing to get the same result, I'm not looking for the same result. I'm looking for a better result. Be patient with the timing advance on the nitrous, Dusty. I'm working on it.

As a note, the amount of timing retard I was using with the 200 shot was 18. And yes, less timing retard than 18 did increase power. At the time, the chassis couldn't handle the additional power so I settled at 18 for that hit size.

The main reason I stayed at 18 degrees timing retard with the 200 shot, YouTube - DRW / Buick Alky V6 taking the scenic route

Why didn't I stick with the 200 shot and just decrease the retard? It quickly became obvious that this new turbo needed much more exhaust mass to spin it. Much more than the 200 shot could give at any degree of retard.

I'd have to check my notes, but I think I've used as little as 10 to 12 degrees of retard with the 200 shot and the T76.

Very interesting test and tune last night. The lean spike on nitrous activation is a thing of the past. The interesting thing is how much it was hiding as far as the O2 reading goes. Holy cow. What a mess.

145 kPa by 5018 rpm. This was with the massive retard I'm presently using (23) until I get the fuel map smoothed out. The rpm rise rate throughout the nitrous hit was a roller coaster. At one point dropping for a good amount of time. The good thing is most of it was richness.

The best boost rise with alcohol and nitrous demands a very, very narrow best mixture ratio. Stray just a little lean or rich from that optimum mixture ratio and the rpm rise rate falls off. Map rise rate seems to remain fairly smooth though. The map trace is showing some interesting possibilities, if only I can get the mixture ratio on-the-nitrous stable.
Best target on the nitrous appears, for the moment, to be 10.8:1 to 10.9:1.
The mixture on boost, off nitrous, on the top end worked very well with 10.4:1 to 10.5:1. Past target for the topend was 10.7.

The freakin car pulled hard when it got on the turbo.

I won't try leaning on the topend until the rest of the fuel map is optimum.

The new aux fuel delivery system inside the intake plenum seems to have helped. The amount of extra fuel needed and the time duration needed to control the lean spike on activation of the aux fueling system, affectionately named by myself as 'the wall', was able to be cut back slightly.

As far as using less nitrous and fuel and more timing to get the same result, I'm not looking for the same result. I'm looking for a better result. Be patient with the timing advance on the nitrous, Dusty. I'm working on it.

;) I'm not pushing for anything, just thinking out loud for discussion.

Not gaining power over 28* degrees is very odd. Generally a car will wake up immensly with that extra 10*.

Did you verify the timing was increasing by using a timing light? Some systems will not increase timing over a certain delta of ignition signal. For example if the crank offset is set to 48* in FAST, your total ignition timing will never be able to go higher than 38*. With you being distributorless, I wouldn't think you'd have any limits, but it don't hurt to ask.

How'd the 60' do Donnie?
Mid 1.6s with the detuned nitrous shot. After I get the fueling taken care of through the nitrous region of the fuel map I'll start lessening the nitrous retard.

Even though the 300 shot was detuned, she pulled noticeably harder than when it was on the 200 shot. In fact, I guess it's been too long since I've been in the seat, because the first pass gave me that star wars hyperspace sensation. What a rush.

;) I'm not pushing for anything, just thinking out loud for discussion.

Not gaining power over 28* degrees is very odd. Generally a car will wake up immensly with that extra 10*.

Did you verify the timing was increasing by using a timing light? Some systems will not increase timing over a certain delta of ignition signal. For example if the crank offset is set to 48* in FAST, your total ignition timing will never be able to go higher than 38*. With you being distributorless, I wouldn't think you'd have any limits, but it don't hurt to ask.

Dusty. Please understand that I enjoy the exchanges with you. Please ask me anything that comes to mind.

I did check the mechanical sync. What I mean is, when the ECM showed 20 degrees advance, it showed 20 degrees on the damper. I also confirmed that the timing markings on the damper were phased with the crank correctly, or in other words the damper was keyed correctly to the crank. My ECM does limit me to 45 degrees of advance, unless I were to offset the timing pickup wheel to mechanically add initial advance that would work on top of what was programmed in the ECM.

Cool. Howed everything feel as far as stability? I'm guessing you hooked a lot better this time.

Here's another interesting note on ignition timing. The last time out with the engine, when I melted a ground electrode and broke a spark plug porcelain that forced me to pull the engine, I decided that I'd throw less timing on the top end at the new motor. I went from 30 degrees total timing at 312 kPa to 22 degrees. The 300+ kPa pass that I did last night actually felt rather good considering I pulled 8 degrees out of her. For whatever reason my motor appears to like less timing than the typical alcohol engine.

Cool. Howed everything feel as far as stability? I'm guessing you hooked a lot better this time.

The car was very stable. Very uneventful actually. The mild launches really didn't test the new suspension much, but on the top end the tires hooked like glue. The new brakes worked perfectly also. Absolutely no chassis concerns up to now.

Tuning notes

The nitrous system fuel solenoid delay has been moved from .20 to .18 in an attempt to fine tune the a/f ratio through n2o system deactivation. Still getting a very slight rich spike on deactivation of the system. Even though the rich spike is very small and short in time, it's still affecting the smoothness of the rpm rise. N2O system is presently shutting down at 135 kPa. I may adjust it to stay on longer into the 150s or 160s kPa.

I went back and checked notes and found that I actually used as little as 4 degrees of nitrous retard at one point and increased it to 8 to tame down the hit. That was with the 200 shot.
I'm overhauling the base timing map through the spoolup region (adding in timing) and I'll be changing the present nitrous retard from 23 to 15 degrees for the next tuning session,.. after doing a pass to check the fuel table to make sure there aren't any lean spots in that region of the map that I missed.

I also took out a lot of fuel after the wall (165 kPa to 220 kPa) that I was using as a safety net to cover any lean spikes caused by nitrous deactivation and the activation of the aux fueling system. That region was slowing rpm climb due to the richness. Should climb better with it leaned down a bit.

The AMS1000 is installed and the last time out was the first testing with it. Has anyone started a thread covering the tuning of this controller? If not, I may start one.
I've ordered a roll bar clamp for a CO2 bottle. I also ordered a roll bar clamp for a video camera. In car videos coming soon!!!:eek: You'll get to see me playing with all my switches. Oh Joy.:(

You might try somewhere in the 140s Donnie. sometimes little changes do better in the long run. And as for you playing with your "switches" please don't show us that, I'd have to turn away. lol

You might try somewhere in the 140s Donnie. sometimes little changes do better in the long run. And as for you playing with your "switches" please don't show us that, I'd have to turn away. lol
I may be able to sensor the switch playing. You know. Put the blurred circle over the switches. Something like that. Have to keep it PG.

I'll try to post the latest fuel map. It's evolved quite a bit since the last one I shared.

LOL You DO have a sense of humor after all. I'll be waiting for the maps but I remember something you said about baby steps when you were talking about your intake fab. If you can take it up say 10 each time for testing you might be better off until you get what you're after.

LOL You DO have a sense of humor after all. I'll be waiting for the maps but I remember something you said about baby steps when you were talking about your intake fab. If you can take it up say 10 each time for testing you might be better off until you get what you're after.
I hear ya. Good advice.

Latest, best datalog. There is a lot on the table. The ECM is being sent in for a much needed software upgrade. It should make dialing in the mixture much easier.

Attachments

• IMGP1736rs.jpg
    IMGP1736rs.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 192
  • IMGP1737rs.jpg
    IMGP1737rs.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 195
Notice how the rpm lays down at the launch. I think Dusty's right about the retard. There's some untapped power waiting there.

The run was cut short in 3rd. License expired. Seat belts expired. Dang, two years already since the belts. Time flies.

Attachments

• IMGP1738rs.jpg
    IMGP1738rs.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 183
  • IMGP1740rs.jpg
    IMGP1740rs.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 189
There's an odd quirk with the inj pw relationship to the advertised map in the fuel table. There is a 5 to 8 percent offset that happens in actual operation. The offset is less at low map and increases in a ramp to the higher map area. When you try to pin-point a correction spot on the fuel table, it's pretty hard trying to envision the offset that's happening in the background. The skew shows up on the datalog and makes the reading very confusing. At a certain map/rpm point you'd expect a certain pw, as instructed in the fuel table interface, but the map to pw values ends up being offset by a varying percentage throughout the map range. When you're trying to time aux fuel activation and a shot of fuel to mask lean spots, it makes picking the correct spot on the fuel table to add or take away fuel very difficult. Meanwhile other functions, such as GPOs are following the fuel table interface as advertised. The new upgrade is reported to take care of this quirk. It sure will make life a lot easier for me.

Back