Advancement of fuel delivery?

The MAP trace took a big dip at the top of first. Not sure why that happened. I'm leaning towards the wastegate sticking. It's also the first time out with the new AMS1000 boost controller. No CO2 yet. The wastegate spring package is set for about 22 psi. That will be changed when the CO2 is added in.

If you study the TPS trace, you can see there was a bit of pucker factor going on there.

The MAP trace was something I was looking at to Donnie. That just doesn't look right. As far as the timing I think like Dusty, you need more but not much at first. Your AF is really funky at first and then it looks much better The bottom is where you need to concentrate for sure. It does look like your not getting as much as you should out of your combo.

Here's the latest map done up for the new software. This is with the offset taken out and has been adjusted from the last datalog. The boost trace from the last datalog is added.

Attachments

• IMGP1754rs.jpg
    IMGP1754rs.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMGP1756rs.jpg
    IMGP1756rs.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 185
The detail lines are intersecting at the present converter stall on the nitrous. 3300 rpm. When the nitrous tune is optimized, I think it will stall closer to 3800, which is the next marker to the right. The next marker to the right of that is 4500 rpm. The car would be a killer if I could get her to launch at 4500.

Yupper boys, this is 224 cid engine spooling a 91mm with a T6 turbine housing. Never thought you'd see it, did ya?
I'm in the process of adding Lonnie's 'boost builder' feature to my turbo 400 trans. Heck. I may even add the flapper blade to the split turbine housing too. This car is going to have all the tricks in the book. And I'll be giving you all a first hand report on every step. How come everyone else keeps this stuff so secret? Are they scared of some competition? Come on. Sound off. This board should be high tech central.

The MAP trace took a big dip at the top of first. Not sure why that happened. I'm leaning towards the wastegate sticking. It's also the first time out with the new AMS1000 boost controller. No CO2 yet. The wastegate spring package is set for about 22 psi. That will be changed when the CO2 is added in.

If you study the TPS trace, you can see there was a bit of pucker factor going on there.

I just realized that the dip in the map level coincides with my foot, for whatever reason, fighting me to jump back, off the throttle. I was trying to keep it WOT.:eek: :eek: Honest.:tongue:

I'm sorry. That was the top of second gear where that dip in the map occurred. Not the top of first.

Yupper boys, this is 224 cid engine spooling a 91mm with a T6 turbine housing. Never thought you'd see it, did ya?
I'm in the process of adding Lonnie's 'boost builder' feature to my turbo 400 trans. Heck. I may even add the flapper blade to the split turbine housing too. This car is going to have all the tricks in the book. And I'll be giving you all a first hand report on every step. How come everyone else keeps this stuff so secret? Are they scared of some competition? Come on. Sound off. This board should be high tech central.

What secrets?? Where'd you get the "flapper" idea? Sounds like something from the 1940's:biggrin: Here's some trans info you'll like - http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144767

What secrets?? Where'd you get the "flapper" idea? Sounds like something from the 1940's:biggrin: Here's some trans info you'll like - Great idea from Marty Chance, potential spooling problem solution - Yellow Bullet Forums

As always Scott, you come up with some very interesting stuff. Thanks for the link. Why won't that guy just do the pump mod. Very irritating. At least take the load off his crank thrust. Jez loueez.
Someone needs to clue him in better.

What secrets. I like that.

I just realized that the dip in the map level coincides with my foot, for whatever reason, fighting me to jump back, off the throttle. I was trying to keep it WOT.:eek: :eek: Honest.:tongue:

I'm sorry. That was the top of second gear where that dip in the map occurred. Not the top of first.

LOL Donnie, it's not a manual ya know.:biggrin: Well at least you know what's happening now. Get a lipstick camera and point it at your feet so you can see what your doing. Vids are a great way to see what your doing. We use them at the track to see if we're screwing up. It really helps.

LOL Donnie, it's not a manual ya know.:biggrin: Well at least you know what's happening now. Get a lipstick camera and point it at your feet so you can see what your doing. Vids are a great way to see what your doing. We use them at the track to see if we're screwing up. It really helps.

The camera mount has been installed. Can't afford a datalogger right now, and I really want to see what the gauges are doing. It will soon be a mystery no more.:biggrin:

I increased the ramp rate to 30 psi in the boost controller, just in case it might have been slowing the boost climb rate.

I do like how the boost level nosed over at the top instead of spiking and dropping like it used to. It sure helps to have the right systems in place.

CO2 bottle has also been mounted. Not plumbed yet.

Tuning notes

After studying the datalog more, some notes.

At the 1-2 shift, TPS went to 2/3 throttle. At the top of 2nd gear, TPS went to 1/2 throttle.
On-time for the nitrous was 2.36 seconds total. About 2.0 seconds from the time of transbrake release.
Shutdown of the nitrous occurred at 137kPa/5214rpm. That's the point right before the rpm jumps up. Since the mixture was not that far off at that point, the timing was holding the engine back. When the timing came back after the shutdown of the nitrous, the rpm jumped up. The engine definitely wants more timing on the nitrous. A small jump in the map at the shutdown of the nitrous.
Mat temp went from 36C to 49C.
Coolant temp went from 73C to 76C.
Shifts were kept to 6800rpm to check fuel delivery. All looked good to that point. Max duty cycle at the top of second 75%.
No backfires on decel.
Timing advance on the top end 22 BTDC.
Timing at the start of the nitrous hit 11 BTDC ramping to 2 BTDC by the end of the hit.
A/F at end of run 10.52:1=.72 lambda=4.63:1.
Rpm drops on shifts, 1-2 1,000rpm, 2-3 900rpm.
T/C stall before nitrous hit 2399rpm. .300 second into the nitrous hit 3433rpm.
First sign of boost building 3443rpm, .52 second into the N2O hit.

I increased the ramp rate to 30 psi in the boost controller, just in case it might have been slowing the boost climb rate.

I do like how the boost level nosed over at the top instead of spiking and dropping like it used to. It sure helps to have the right systems in place.

CO2 bottle has also been mounted. Not plumbed yet.
Well yeah. Now I know why the boost nosed over at the top.:rolleyes:

After studying the datalog more, some notes.

At the 1-2 shift, TPS went to 2/3 throttle. At the top of 2nd gear, TPS went to 1/2 throttle.

Don, You need the old redneck cruise control

brick.jpg

I recently fabbed a catch tank for the intake plenum to hold water and fuel that accumulates in the bottom of the plenum. I think I've already discussed in the thread where it comes from. It's working great. Catches a lot of water, keeping it from having to run through the cylinders.
When I didn't have the catch tank, the drain hose I had attached to the plenum would fill with water/fuel and the level would back up in the plenum. When I would occasionally have an intake hiccup on startup and the pop off would open to relieve pressure, some moisture would escape through the pop off valve. So far, with the catch tank, with no standing liquid sitting in the bottom of the plenum and all of it being able to drain away into the catch tank, I haven't had any moisture of any kind escape through the pop off valve. It used to be that after I had a hiccup I would be able to check the pop off and if there was moisture around the pop off I knew that the pressure in the plenum had reached a pressure level that made the pop off open to relieve the plenum pressure. Now, I can't tell. So far, it's stayed dry. Either the hiccups are now less extreme in pressure level, or the pop off is opening without spitting fluid. And, the hiccups do seem to occur less frequent and are much, much milder when they do.
Before, it would sound like someone had fired off a shotgun, with a monsterous 6 foot blue flame shooting out the exhaust pipe. At night races, it looked pretty cool. In the pits, sometimes there would be an unlucky bystander checking out the engine bay when I would start it up, and... BANG!!! Started some hearts with that.
Before, when the car would be in the bay at the shop, and I was doing any tuning, I would cut up a box, about one foot square or more, to very loosely fit around the exhaust pipe, and had a hose and fan attached to it that took the fumes outside. If on a startup, I had one of these 'bad boy' hiccups, I could count on having to cut up another box. That dang box would be shrapnel all over the bay. Hose thrown back 6 feet sometimes. Woke up the whole industrial complex.