Advancement of fuel delivery?

Don,

Did you make it to the track yesterday?
No, I didn't. A friend invited me to check out the last SCTA land speed record meet at El Mirage for the year, so I went to that. Believe me, there was some internal turmoil going on with that decision.
There were a lot of spin outs at over 150 mph at the end of the track. :eek: No rollovers, thank goodness.
A great grandmother went over 190 mph on a turbocharged Hyabusa. :eek:
There were some interesting machines, for sure.
I sure wish us drag racers had the same shutdown distance that these guys enjoyed.

The next track date is Dec 5th. I WILL BE THERE!!! :mad: :biggrin: They're having the Fastest Street Car (doorslammer) event that day, and the NHRA King of the Track event.
The event is called Fastest Street Car, but any simple doorslammer can compete, including full tube chassis pro stock as long as it has doors that operate. :biggrin:

I just found out that the track is having a Turkey Trot Test and Tune on Nov. 28th. 12 days and counting. :tongue:

I can't sit still for 2 weeks. I've come up with some new tests to do while I'm stuck on the rack. I may dig out the video camera too. Who wants to stand by with the fire extinguisher? :rolleyes:

New nitrous system rack test results.

The main goal with this new round of testing was to find the new torque converter stall speed when on the nitrous.
Other objectives:
Discover the corresponding map reading at the new T/C stall when on the nitrous.
Determine how long it takes to get to the new stall speed after nitrous activation. This number would be plugged into the launch delay box.
Determine the amount of nitrous retard needed to make the afterburner work.

I slowly worked the nitrous on-time up on 3 tests. On the last test the rpm started to nose over. I can't say that the map reading was nosing over though. The map appeared to still be on a steepening climb when I got off the throttle.

Test 3.
Transbrake engaged throughout test.
Engine temp - 165 F
Nitrous bottle pressure - 850-875 psi. A little low. I really wanted 900 psi.
Stall at WOT w/o nos - 2755 rpm / 97.2 kPa.
Stall at WOT w/nos - 4281 rpm / 108.3 kPa with the climb steepening.
Time duration for nos on-time - .98 sec.
Timing on-the-nitrous - 16 degrees btdc.
Afterburner affect - yes.

I determined that 17 degrees btdc timing while on the nitrous was not enough to fire off the afterburner. 16 degrees btdc seems to be the threshold.

The target was to obtain a stall speed when on the nitrous of 4,100- 4,500 rpm and a map of 105-110 kPa with the 305 hp shot. Mission accomplished!

I think if you could get the engine temp up another 5 degrees you'll atomize the the mix better and still keep the detonation out of it Donnie. Looks good so far but I still want to see how she does on the track.

I think if you could get the engine temp up another 5 degrees you'll atomize the the mix better and still keep the detonation out of it Donnie. Looks good so far but I still want to see how she does on the track.

It's a well known fact that as long as an alcohol engine is up to 150 F it'll make good power. I've noticed the same. The engine tone changes right at that temp.
At Bakersfield, the engine was up to 200 F :eek: at the launch, so the engine tune does have good preignition resistance to it.
I don't have total control over the engine temp by the time I launch, so it's common for me to see differing engine temps from run to run. In the past, it's never seemed to make a big difference, but I'll start tracking that more carefully.

It's a well known fact that as long as an alcohol engine is up to 150 F it'll make good power. I've noticed the same. The engine tone changes right at that temp.
At Bakersfield, the engine was up to 200 F :eek: at the launch, so the engine tune does have good preignition resistance to it.
I don't have total control over the engine temp by the time I launch, so it's common for me to see differing engine temps from run to run. In the past, it's never seemed to make a big difference, but I'll start tracking that more carefully.

I suprised you haven't been tracking the temps closer Donnie. I know you've been keeping an eye on the intake temp but the engine temp should be watched as closely to make sure there aren't any other problems. If it's kept at a consistant temp you should get more consistant runs out the car.

The tuneup was always changing, sometimes drastically, so tracking how a difference of 10-30 degrees was affecting things would have been a complete waste of time. Of course, I would glance at the temp before and after a run to make sure it wasn't out of an acceptable range, but trying to track how one run at 160 compared to another run at 180 while the tuneup was going through an evolution would have been a bit much.

Only after the tuneup is finalized will tracking the engine temp be useful.

As I've already said, I haven't seen engine temp play enough of a part to make it important to track during the particular changes that have been going on in the recent past.

My tuneup is more of a power with durability with a nice safety cushion. If I were running the tuneup on the edge where engine damage might easily be possible, then I can see where engine temp most certainly would be very important. I never plan on running my tuneup so close to the edge that a difference of 30 degrees in engine temp could mean the demise of the engine.

The 1/8 mile time and mph with the engine temp at 200 F at the start of the run was not noticeably different from another run where the engine temp was 160 F at the start of the run. That being accomplished with a very safe tuneup. Sometimes you're not able to control how the staging lanes are going to move and you need to have a tuneup that will get you through a situation where the engine might get a bit on the hot side.

Tracking engine temp will most certainly play a role in bracket racing, but I'm a long way from having this car ready for bracket racing.

I've been doing a little research on stators and my latest understanding is that the latest stator configuration I've installed will yield a higher flash stall speed, less torque multiplication, with the duration of the torque multiplication lasting longer through the launch compared to the style of stator that was previously being used.
I'm going to make a 60 foot prediction of 1.41 if the torque multiplication factor is 1.6 and a 1.33 for a 2.0 torque multiplication factor.

I'll predict that you'll make it to 1.3 area Donnie. From what I understand you should be able to do much better if everything is working right.

Rain, figures huh? Don, where are you measuring EGT(s)? Pre or post turbo? I ask because you seemed to be concerned about my temps. My numbers represent samples 1in from the exhaust ports. BTW, I will be visiting Barona asap to 60ft tune.

Rain, figures huh? Don, where are you measuring EGT(s)? Pre or post turbo? I ask because you seemed to be concerned about my temps. My numbers represent samples 1in from the exhaust ports. BTW, I will be visiting Barona asap to 60ft tune.
I measure at the point where the collectors from each bank Y together just before the turbo. Even with you measuring close to the head, that would be too high in my book for methanol. Like I said before, I'm not sure how different egts are with ethanol, but my guess is they aren't that much different.
Next weekend at Barona then! See you there.