You can type here any text you want

Aftermarket gauges

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Junior Samples

Walk Away
First Q

Mech or electric?

If I go with Electrical such as Oil, water , should I tie into my sending units?

As far as Mech gauge is concerned I really dont want silly water temp cable snaking around and oil press line as well.

All my Vettes Ive always had trans temp, oil temp/ to compliment my existing gauges and need to do the same on this for I hate dummy lights.

vette1b.jpg

Found in field, 10 years and countless dollars later, its done and now Ive got a new toy...muhahaha

I use autometer electrical for oil and water, mechanical for boost.

+1 but it depends on what gauges you want. what are you looking at getting?

First Q

Mech or electric?

If I go with Electrical such as Oil, water , should I tie into my sending units?

As far as Mech gauge is concerned I really dont want silly water temp cable snaking around and oil press line as well.

All my Vettes Ive always had trans temp, oil temp/ to compliment my existing gauges and need to do the same on this for I hate dummy lights.

vette1b.jpg

Found in field, 10 years and countless dollars later, its done and now Ive got a new toy...muhahaha

Go electric.
I like the corvette in your signature. Two thumbs up! Looks like you did a bang up job on the resto.
My first vette was a 78 pace car and the second was a 65 convertible.

Gauges

I'll prolly go with autometer, IM not really fond of harborfreight 3 pack for $4.99...LOL

Guess my Q should be Can I tie in to existing sending units or do I need correct ones?(OIL and Water elect)

And thanx for the two thumbs on the vette resto...dont win any races but got a few trophys Although the 283 has some head work and rollercam ...stuff you cant see on the outside:cool:

I use autometer electrical for oil and water, mechanical for boost.

Is there a such thing as an electrical boost gauge?

Also is there any real advantage on going with electrica gauges as opposed to mechanicals?

I have the big 2 5/8" mechanical but would go with the 2 1/16" because of the great mounting options with the smaller gauges. In order to not mess with the dash and to not block the AC vents, I fab'ed up my own gauge mount that uses the existing factory holes in the frame work of the dash.

When reading about accuracy the mfr's seem to dance around the direct answer - they do not want to say that one is not as accurate. I do not find the electric as smooth or linear accross the range.

Electric also has big senders that you must use. The wire is not much different from the tube that mechanicals use.

Attachments

• Picture 214-1.jpg
    Picture 214-1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Picture 212.jpg
    Picture 212.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 75
man, AOL and or my computer is giving me some trouble....

I put the boost on top, oil, then water on the bottom. I also cut and re-welded the bar the gauge panel is on so the top gauge is more flush with the top of the dash

Attachments

• Picture 216.jpg
    Picture 216.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 75
Back