Alcoholic Twins..............Turbos that is!

turbofabricator

Here's a few pictures of my latest Twin turbo project. (The last one was 288 GTO ...The Italian kind, not Pontiac) The car is an '87 T-Type, with the following:
Girdled 109 block
stock crank/rods
TRW pistons w light pins
Twin stock turbos (new)
Twin stock throttle bodies (common shaft)
Twin Stock intercooler cores
6 Alky nozzles in plenum
Alky Control pump and controller
Ported iron heads (by me)
ported stock lower intake
fabricated upper plenum
321 stainless steel I/C tubing
321 stainless lower rad hose
218/224 hyd roller
1.6 roller rockers
wastegate in cross-over pipe
60 lb Motron injectors
Maf Pro (no MAF)
Extender Pro chip
stock ECM
Art Carr 3600 nl
battery in spare tire well

Ken B.
"Happiness is Alcoholic Twins!"

Attachments

• Final completion twin turbo Buick 004.jpg
    Final completion twin turbo Buick 004.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 2,339
  • Final completion twin turbo Buick 008.jpg
    Final completion twin turbo Buick 008.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 2,304
  • Final completion twin turbo Buick 014.jpg
    Final completion twin turbo Buick 014.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 2,305
  • PICT0058.JPG
    PICT0058.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 2,291
  • PICT0489.JPG
    PICT0489.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 2,250
Picture of the twin turbo Ferrari

Here's a picture of the Ferrari we (Sean O'Brien and myself) built about 6 years ago.
It is a 1977 308 with an '84 288 GTO body kit on it installed by a California Ferrari dealership (so I'm told) We removed the anemic 308 engine (it had twin turbos on it) and installed a '96 355FI engine and trans in it. The customer wanted us to twin turbo the 355 (3.5 liter 5 valve heads). We had a detail model and some pictures of a 288 GTO and tried to build the system to mimick the original GTO engine bay. The car now has F-40 brakes, ATL fuel cell in a crash box up front, new wiring (the original was .......well....Ferrari). We installed a roll bar and dual adjustable brake valves, Griffon aluminum radiator, Motec M-800, twin intercoolers, blow-off valve,..........The list is very long. :eek: I'll dig up a few more pictures if anyone is interested in the build up.
Ken B.

Attachments

• ferrari 288GTOw 355FI twin turbo.JPG
    ferrari 288GTOw 355FI twin turbo.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 2,395
That is cool with the turbos on the same side, don't think I've ever seen that before.

DCVING 6 said:
That is cool with the turbos on the same side, don't think I've ever seen that before.
Whattya mean, I thought all of the GNX's came that way stock :wink:. Seriously, nice fabrication!

that exact concept has been done before,well the twins on the passenger side .very clever using 2TB ,it does have the "bling " factor ,but would it be easier to use a single TB
Very good work..

Alcoholic twins

Here's a couple more pictures of the passenger side header and the twin stock cores welded together. The outlet of the I/C shares a common plenum. Yes, it would have been easier to use a single 70mm TB, but I started this project after listening to the "experts" at the track that tell me that their "Cousins, uncles, neighbors, friend has one of these...........But, it's TWIN TURBO!....came that way from the factory!" :confused:
I was tinkering in the shop one night and remember seeing a similiar lay-out from Duttweiler many years ago, and thought Heck......I think I can make this a "bolt on deal". Yes, this will bolt on to ANY turbo regal, with no modification to the car except to drill two holes in the core support to hang the intercoolers. I could easily change the IC bracket to pick-up existing holes, that would make this a complete bolt on deal. Another reason for twin TB's is that I wanted to increase the plenum volume, and a single TB would look "lonely" on that big box. The stock dog house is WAY too small for a turbo engine. My research determined that the plenum needs to be about 2.75 times engine displacement. I also wanted to narrow the entrance to the lower manifold to get the air closer to the center of the manifold. Because I had to raise the plenum to clear the fuel rails I just incorporated the .750" thick spacer as my alcohol injector plate. There are 6 nozzles in the plenum spacer pointing down each runner. They are the smallest I could find at .014". I had to use a alcohol/nitro compatible NOS valve to prevent the engine from sucking alcohol when not under boost. My intention is to lean the fuel out at high boost and run mainly on methanol. It'll take me awhile to slowly tune this contraption. This "project" is just an engineering deal that keeps my mind busy. I have been building these cars for nearly 18 years now and just wanted to do something different. I'm not trying to set records or anything, and really didn't spend much building it. I have a TON of time in it, but it was alot of fun engineering and building it. I did all the work in my garage. (except for the milling of the plenum face and mounting surface after welding.) I had a buch of 321 stainless laying around and figured I would put it to good use. It doesn't weight much more that aluminum (it's .016 wall) and it'll never corrode. There's about $3,000 in stainless steel on this car, but what the heck, it looks cool ;) I had to use stainless for the lower radiator hose because it runs too close to the header. If I have problems with the header cracking, Ill build one out of 321 in the future. I also used the stock exhaust elbows to save a little time, and to keep the "stock appearing" theme. I tried to make it look like the factory would have done, but the intercoolers were posing a bit of a problem "stacking" them behind the radiator, so I had to go front mount. Years ago I welded two cores together behind the radiator, but I had to cut up the core support and install the fan in front of the radiator, and I didn't want to do that on this project. I might be able to use the new Precision stock location IC now but that wasn't available when I started this project. I have alot of pictures of the build process if you would like to see a particular thing let me know and I'll try and post it.

Attachments

• HPIM0274.JPG
    HPIM0274.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 2,119
  • twin turbo header-black2.JPG
    twin turbo header-black2.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 2,112
  • HPIM0270.JPG
    HPIM0270.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 2,110
  • HPIM0275.JPG
    HPIM0275.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 2,107
  • stainless lower radiator hose.JPG
    stainless lower radiator hose.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 2,082
More pics

more pics:

Attachments

• down pipe.JPG
    down pipe.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 2,090
  • down pipe off car3.JPG
    down pipe off car3.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 2,065
  • oil drain good.JPG
    oil drain good.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 2,050
Can I get a job with you? Thats what I need to be doing. lol ;)

That is one hell off a set-up. Hats off. I would love to do somthing like that someday.Keep up the great work.

That's really cool. I like the intake alot. Can you make me one of those for nitrous?

I can build just about anything you may want. I don't do this for a living, though. I build REALLY big airplanes at a REALLY big airplane company. I do this kind of stuff to keep my insanity moving forward ;) Here's a pic of my latest Ford project under construction. It's 5.4 liter 4 valve that'll be squeezed into a '71 Comet (tube chassis) with a turbo or two. :eek:
Ken B.

Attachments

• 5.4 4 valve manifold.JPG
    5.4 4 valve manifold.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 2,028
  • PICT0456.JPG
    PICT0456.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 2,027
Hey that cool. I work on that same companies corporte jets here in the chicago area(gary Indiana). Ive been to the renton factory last august when i was in BBJ school for a month. Very impresive. Didnt have a chance to get up to the everett factory because of it being closed on the weekends.. :biggrin:

Ya...we close on weekends. I've NEVER worked a weekend in the 21 years I have worked there ;) Just ask the guys I work with....they'll say I've NEVER worked there a day in my life. You know.......the community calls us the "Lazy B", but somehow we build ALOT of big planes. I hear that the Keebler Elves come into the factory at night and assemble the dang things! A few years ago we were pushing a 747 out of the factory every 4 days! :eek: and not to mention 767's and 777's just out of ONE factory! We build the BEST airpalnes flying in the sky! The average Mechanic has 18+ years building airplanes. Think about that the next time you sit down in a commercial jet, with nothing between you and the ground except 35,000 ft of air! :D

I hear you. I thought it was very impressive at renton pushing out a 737 almost every day. I talked w/ a worker in the wing dept. and asked How long do you get to assemble everything in and on the wing. He said just one day. I'll have anouther wing here tommorow :eek: .We work on 5 bombardier challengers and 2 BBJ's. 7 mechanics.

Sometimes, I miss the old days working on in service aircraft, but then I just have to think about changing a "poop" tube "o"-ring and it all goes flushing out of my mind. Now I get to install brand new titianium "poop" tubes that at the most will have fresh clean water run through them. I would hate to take a bath in "fecal berry punch' :eek: Ain't airplanes fun! :biggrin: