You can type here any text you want

@#%#$^ always happens to me.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
@#%#$^ always happens to me.

I was going to install the new injectors, chip and valve springs. Then I find the main pulley/damper loose real loose I mean I unscrew the bolt with my finger tips loose,:mad: :mad: so at this point I abort the upgrades and go to work on the damper.
I just pulled the one of the regal and dropped it in.
To add insult to injury my almost brand new $150.00 S*K torque ratchet goes completely out of wack the handle comes loose and all most falls off. So go to my trusty impact gun with a little well a lot of medium (blue) lock-tight.
How often do these POS get loose?
And do you think the Impact gun with Medium lock-tight is tight enough?

Next problem
The rockers seam to have a lot of play, are the rockers soppose to have up and down play (about 1/8 inch)?
Or are they suppose to be snug?

the balancer bolt takes a very high torque rating, like over 250 ft lbs. I found mine loose on my 59k mile stock long block. Retorqued it at 250 with just a drop of red locktite, and no issues so far.

crank sensor

I would say consider youself lucky that you did not break the crank sensor. i alway put mine on with a impact gun.

Rockers should be snug. I mean if you have ANY preload the rockers won't have free play. I don't use locktite on the balancer bolt but I don't see where it will hurt. Like said above it needs to be torqued to 250ft/lbs. I use an impact gun on mine and haven't had a problem with them coming loose (knock on wood).

Rockers should be snug. I mean if you have ANY preload the rockers won't have free play. I don't use locktite on the balancer bolt but I don't see where it will hurt. Like said above it needs to be torqued to 250ft/lbs. I use an impact gun on mine and haven't had a problem with them coming loose (knock on wood).

+1

Thanks guys.
I’ll get my TW (torque wrench) recalibrated this week and check the balancer bolt again.
Anyway how to I hold the crank from turning when I put the TW to it at 250#s? Big Screw driver on the torque converter? Rubber strap and chain pliers on the pulley?
What’s the average ft#s on the impact guns I don't think my gun goes that high. I could be wrong, my gun is older then me

When the rocker shaft was on the head the rockers had minimal play - side to side and maybe a 100th of an inch up and down. But when I removed the rocker shaft the rocker to shaft play was about an 1/8 on an inch.
SO I guess its time for new rockers and rocker shafts.

The average impact wrench will never producd enough torque. Is your TW able to go clear up to 250? Most aren't. I had to "borrow" one good enough for the job.

The average impact wrench will never producd enough torque.

My Snap on XT7100 = 600ft lbs on / 700ft lbs off. :D

http://image.snapon.com/international/pdf/XT7100.pdf
465266.jpg

The average impact wrench will never producd enough torque. Is your TW able to go clear up to 250? Most aren't. I had to "borrow" one good enough for the job.

My Ingersol gun is rated for 850 off 750 on so i think i should be ok in that department

Same as 87granny. If you want to buy one I got it at Tractor supply. Sears also carries it and they are the 2 cheapest I have found so far.

yullose and 87granny's examples are good units but not the "average" I was refering to that most of the rest of us "shoe string" guys have.

I just use a good torque wrench and call it a day.. over tightening maybe helps cracking them :confused: oh I do have a great "gun" for taking things apart ;)

Thanks guys.

Anyway how Do I hold the crank from turning when I put the TW to it at 250#s? Big Screw driver on the torque converter? Rubber strap and chain pliers on the pulley?

Big scewdriver or try Harbor Freight for a flexplate holder either should do the trick or a pry bar

wow! consider yourself completely lucky, i noticed my first one loose on a 65K mile stock long block when it broke the cam sensor after the balancer failed from the bolt being loose, then at 75K miles the balancer came loose again but it was on a pull at the drag strip, that was catastrophic! as said as tight as you can get it with red loc-tite!

here is what happened along with bending all the valves, stretching the timing chain, and breaking the front cover and cutting off the crank sensor and bending the cam snout! oh and a picture of how it ran before failure! I wish that someone would post a sticky on the general and engine sections so that people know about the issue and can fix it before it happends to them, almost like a turbobuick.com "Service Bulletin"

Good Luck, Dan

Attachments

• DSCF0428.jpg
    DSCF0428.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 431
  • DSCF0462.jpg
    DSCF0462.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 424
  • DSCF0464.jpg
    DSCF0464.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 409
  • DSCF0466.jpg
    DSCF0466.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 424
  • wheelie2.jpg
    wheelie2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 398
here is what happened along with bending all the valves, stretching the timing chain, and breaking the front cover and cutting off the crank sensor and bending the cam snout! oh and a picture of how it ran before failure! I wish that someone would post a sticky on the general and engine sections so that people know about the issue and can fix it before it happends to them, almost like a turbobuick.com "Service Bulletin"

Good Luck, Dan

hmmm.. maybe the crank broke first and then the damage followed :confused:

well seeing as there is only one piston of load on the crank at that point i would be lead to believe that the balancer was the failure, also the fact that the balancer was cracked and loose when removed from the crank gave me another thougth. I work with experimental engines everyday for CAT and have never scene a crank break before the 3rd cylinder it, but i guess there is always a chance... but you are the expert on here with turbo buicks, so yeah the crank broke and caused the failure...

,Dan

Back