Am I wrong to ask for a Vin # on a car for sale here ?

Turbo Keith

TURBO KEITH
I'm looking to buy a nice T , Grey is my color but entertaining other colors . And a member PMed me bout a car he was thinking of selling so he PMed me back today with his phone # and we began to text . After a few questions I ask for the VIN so I could run a car fax and he said he would not give me the VIN it was recipe for forgery . Said if I buy the car the car fax comes with it and it was a clean fax . Am I missing something for asking for it ? I don"t wanna offend anyone if I'm in the wrong for asking ? Just Confused LOL Keith

Either way you need the vin for certain things when buying a car... Loans, insurance etc...it's not like he's signing a bill of sale or anything...what does he have to hide??? I'd be wondering... Get the vin and go from there...Mike

the vin on our cars is right there on the dash for everyone to see, if it was top secret info they wouldn't have put it in plain sight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lots of vin swapping goes on with regals
no way i would buy the car without the rpo code ,the trim code, and vin code before i looked at it
if the seller doesnt want to do thet he could keep it as far as im concerned
others will come along
it is BUYER BEWARE not seller
Alot can happen in 30 years

Last edited:
He is saying it has a clean car fax and I can have it AFTER I buy the car , I'm just a red neck from north Ms that spends way to much money on our cars but that's not how things work . He said he was in a 2 year mess before over giving a vin number out . He has been here a long time and bought and sold a butt load of stuff but I cant travel xxxx miles on just some pics .

It seems like a completely reasonable request to me. On a similar note I inquired about a car I saw on CL in my area. It was being advertised as a '70 GS 455 convertible. My first question was if they could give me the first 5 digits of the VIN so I could tell it was a GS and not a Skylark. To no ones surprise it was a fake.

Neal

Honestly a carfax on a 30 year old car is useless. It could've suffered major damage 20 years ago and there was no such thing as carfax.
Either the seller is attempting to hide something or does'nt really know how ok it is to give the VIN out.

d5fdda89cfdb048a423f10f470f1e938.jpg

This guy selling his car on CL and put his vin on the ad. so like mentioned before, its not that serious unless you got something to hide

The seller is either stupid or trying to pull a fast one....

I text with the seller yesterday , He was not happy at all that I ask the question here in the Lounge . He implied I was saying he had something to hide and I didn't say that . When he first reached out to me he gave me his number and wanted to text cause he said he couldn't hear well on the phone . I know he has been here since 2002 , He said he has been in the Buick world over 30 years and didn't have time for my bullshit . Anyway no big deal , He does have a very nice Limited and I'm sure someone will get a very nice car but I cant travel that far without some piece of mind . I will find one , BG is in 2 weeks and I be there , I'm sure it will be some very nice cars there . Look forward to meeting you all . Keith

I am a long time member of NSXPRIME.COM.
There are rules in place that if you list a car for sale you MUST include the VIN number otherwise mods will delete it. Maybe that rule should apply here.

Maybe someone close by to the seller can look at the car for you and get the vin? Either way good luck in your search

Maybe someone close by to the seller can look at the car for you and get the vin? Either way good luck in your search
Thanks Sparky , I just think the seller has had a bad experience in the past with someone trying to forge a vin , He said he went thru 2 years of BS in the past over something like this over a VIN , anyway , Its his car and to each his own .

If he "been in tge buick world for over 30 years" then he should know how sales usually go with the VIN info.
Plus if he seen the thread, why didnt he chime in and give his side of the story or point of view

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk