You can type here any text you want

Bearing shell oil holes...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Steve V

Steve V's Automotive 757 560 2782
Been playing a bit studying things..seeing a lot of sizes in oil holes. I believe I read on this site somewhere it's standard parctice to open them up to 1/4.

The galley in the block is still way larger than the bearing shell. What would happen if they were opened up to match? Maybe too much flow and not enough time on the bearing.:smile:

Never gave it much thought,but wouldn't you loose some oil pressure also?Good topic though:cool:
Kevin

That's why I am asking,someone out here has done it I bet.

Thanks for the links. Merkle doesn't have the best rep. in the buick community though.:biggrin:

How do you get a copy or print off the entire article?Thanks for the info,interesting reading

Kevin

Imo

Nothing wrong with opening the oil holes in bearing shell. BUT, if they need to be bigger than 1/4 in. you have some serious problems. Only so much oil will get by the bearings (.0015-.002 clearance) The 2 center bearings also feed 2 rods as where the end ones only feed 1 rod. Bearing clearance is a controlled oil leak !!!!

My factory bearings have #2 the smallest:eek:,after market sets like Federal Mogul have them almost 1/4 same for all 4.

Thanks for the links. Merkle doesn't have the best rep. in the buick community though.:biggrin:

I haven't read anything negative about Merkle, what issues have others had? Customer service, poor workmanship or what?

I race a 1000 HP Pontiac, and on that side of the fence it is very common practic to elongate them to about .250. The Pontiac race main bearing is either half grooved, or the more desireable is the 3/4 groove. We elongate the hole in the groove only. Then their is another trick you can do on the thrust bearing, where the two halves meet you file the edge as to make a passage for the oil to flow to the thrust side of the bearing and file the edges where the two thrust side meed into a V shape to get more oil on the thrust side. You only need to do this on the backwards facing thrust side as the crank will always be pushed forward from the force of the torque converter.

I haven't read anything negative about Merkle, what issues have others had? Customer service, poor workmanship or what?

Try a search some stuff should come up. On the othersite also. Messed up some locals expensive builds.

Hmmm

Great info,Steve what are you trying to accomplish by makeing the holes bigger?On another note when running a roller cam and roller lifters can you restrict oil to the top of the motor?:confused:

Kevin

Great info,Steve what are you trying to accomplish by makeing the holes bigger?On another note when running a roller cam and roller lifters can you restrict oil to the top of the motor?:confused:

Kevin

Just fishing for info right now.

I would not.

In my Chevy days we could use restrictors to restrict oil to the top end,where it is doing nothing but filling the valve covers.The idea was to keep more oil in the mains and rods.Just curious if this can be done?Thanks for the input.

Kevin:biggrin:

On another note when running a roller cam and roller lifters can you restrict oil to the top of the motor?:confused:

Kevin

When you take the time and look at how it works, you can only play with the driver side lifters. There is no "Top of the motor"

yes you can

SS/GN;2658772On another note when running a roller cam and roller lifters can you restrict oil to the top of the motor?:confused: Kevin[/QUOTE said:
Couple ways to restrict oil to the top. I have done it to many engines (V-6 Buick). Not only does it not fill valve covers to the extreme, it will help oil pressure. Simplest way is to order (Smith Brothers) pushrods with a .030 restrictor built in. If you have roller rockers ( I know ahead of time I'll get chewed up for this), remove all the adjuster screws---soak in lacquer thinner--blow dry and fill oil feed holes with JB weld. Oil comes in the bottom of screw and goes out a hole drilled 90 degrees to the incoming hole--fill both holes. Let sit for 24 hours them drill out both holes with a .030 drill bit. Best of luck.

I've never opened the oiling holes in a Buick V6. I have also never had a problem oiling even 1000+hp engines, either. I don't like the idea making an already weak block weaker. Most of this kind of stuff is just trying to out think things. I DO radius the oil passages in the block and timing cover, but even that is probably not doing much, but at least it doesn't weaken the block.:smile:

Back