bearings

86 got boost

I got a set of federal mogul .010 rod bearings, now the face that the bearings sit on (rod), theres a 16th inch gap on both sides of bearing, the old bearings were clevite77 that were as wide as face of rod, does that make any sense, and if u understand what im talking about should i be worried:confused: meaning when u snap bearing in place the gaps are on each side of bearing...

what sounds right? and i dont know how to post pictures, what I mean about should it make any difference if there is a gap like that?
ray

Do you mean that the bearing halves are "offset" from each other in the rod?

I have seen where the bearing halves don't line up nicely when the bearing shells are placed in the rod and the cap is installed. Can't explain why....the bearing tangs locate the bearing in the rod and the cap and they don't move much side to side.

I recently ended up narrowing the wide Clevite 1398H bearing for a narrow rod journal (Carrillo rods and a Moldex crank). I didn't like the mis-alignment of the FM or Clevite P bearings. I only narrowed one side of the rod bearing shell.

As long as the bearings don't touch the filet on the crank, slight misalignment won't be a problem. Especially if you are talking about a stock crank with rolled fillets. I'd be more worried about getting the right bearing clearance with .010 bearings.

the old bearing were wide journal bearings

the new ones are narrow journal.

you can use either one on a stock crank.

there centered in journal, yes but smaller than the wide bearings, there from poston, say the bearings are inch wide, the new are at 7/8 of that... if that helps, how do u put pictures cant figure it out