You can type here any text you want

BEST NON BILLET TURBO FOR AN ULTRA STREET BUILD

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RYAN GRAVES

Looking to do an ultra street build on my car. Rules say a t76 @ 2900pounds or t80 @ 3100 pounds.
Engine is a TSM build. With all the new billets turbos , I have not looked into a non billet and was curious on what is available? I personally think the v6 should get the weight break, plus able to use a billet, but rules are rules. Would like an all around turbo for TSM and ULTRA street. Any input is greatly appreciated.

If you are looking to run class like that, trying to fit in with TSM rules is going to be a problem. TSM needs a 3 bolt housing, so you are limited to a 68mm turbine. Also, going non billet, a 70 cast wheel. No 76 or 80.
I would go with a 76GTS 4 bolt or similar.

You need to have to seperate setups with different cams, turbos, and header/dp to be somewhat competitive in both. If you have enough engine to take it run the larger compressor. I've never heard of a t80. Tmk the t series stops at 76mm. There are other 80mm wheels out there that have a lot of potential as forcefed3.8's mentioned. With the old Garrett .55 a/r compressor housing you could get about 95lbs/min out of the t76. It would take a got hot side and a lot of engine to do so. You really need a custom turbo here. I'd call reed at work turbochargers for a custom turbo to be able to be competitive in that class. You may have an advantage with the smaller engine if the larger displacement guys have to be heavier and are limited to the same compressor(s). Both classes will be limited by the turbocharger. Personally id be building two seperate engines ifnut was me.

The engine is a 109. Can get car weight down to 3000 lbs race weight, retaining factory interior minus Kirkey seats. I was thinking a 70 gtq or as Bison stated, calling Reed at Work Turbo. I know some close friends that work with him and he seems to know alot about the Garrett turbos. Not looking to be a major player in the class, just have some fun. Our local track Milan is possibly in the works of setting up the class, HOPEFULLY. It is tough to dedicate a car specifically for class racing, it can really get frustrating.

RYAN GRAVES said:
The engine is a 109. Can get car weight down to 3000 lbs race weight, retaining factory interior minus Kirkey seats. I was thinking a 70 gtq or as Bison stated, calling Reed at Work Turbo. I know some close friends that work with him and he seems to know alot about the Garrett turbos. Not looking to be a major player in the class, just have some fun. Our local track Milan is possibly in the works of setting up the class, HOPEFULLY. It is tough to dedicate a car specifically for class racing, it can really get frustrating.
You will need way more than a 70gtq to be competitive in that non Buick class. You will be racing larger displacement 8 cyl cars and they will trap in the 160's@3000lbs. Borg Warner has some nice stuff out there. You could build around an 80mm cast compressor. Reed will have a lot more info about exactly what compressor you should use. You will need 1000-1050hp to run with the v8 cars

70 GTQ was the first thing to come to mind, if running a TSM non billet. With the research I have done, it does not look like a possibility to run both classes. To make this car some what competative in Ultra Street. Time to drop more weight!

Get a stage block, add a big 4 bolt turbo that is legal, and enjoy running your local weekly or monthly class racing. Don't worry about building your car for a Buick class that you will race 1 or 2 times a year. That is what I plan on doing. I am getting the car 8.5 certified this winter so I can run the local 8.9 class next summer. When I want to get serious, I have a TA Performance aluminum engine ready for a 76 to 88mm sitting in the corner. It's nice to be too light and have to add weight where you need it.

Don't know if this would be an option you might consider, but I purchased a used John Craig, of limit eng., lt-76 rated @ 108#s/min(rated 1085hp) journal bearing turbo.I received the info from Chopper at limit, because no one seemed to have any info on it.

Ultra Street will be a 1/8 mile class if it's the class like we run locally. Same rules. I drive and tune a Mustang and have to weigh 3250 with an 80mm and best pass so far is 5.21 at 137. They have been running it up the east coast and now Milan is looking to run the class as well. The slowest cars in the class run 5.6-5.7 and there aren't very many of them. Majority are 5.3-5.5 range. It's definately not something I would want to beat on a stock block to compete in but I do encourage you to try it. When you do the bug will bite you and you'll be ready to build up a stage block to compete with. I do feel the V6 with an 80mm will compete in the class if you can get to the min weight.

Ultra Street will be a 1/8 mile class if it's the class like we run locally. Same rules. I drive and tune a Mustang and have to weigh 3250 with an 80mm and best pass so far is 5.21 at 137. They have been running it up the east coast and now Milan is looking to run the class as well. The slowest cars in the class run 5.6-5.7 and there aren't very many of them. Majority are 5.3-5.5 range. It's definately not something I would want to beat on a stock block to compete in but I do encourage you to try it. When you do the bug will bite you and you'll be ready to build up a stage block to compete with. I do feel the V6 with an 80mm will compete in the class if you can get to the min weight.
Looks like you need about 1200-1250hp at 3100 to to have enough power to run at the top. Then you have to be able to use it all. That class must be brutal.

It's a great class. This year they put us on the old M/T 275/60 radial so it slowed me down a little from this video where we could run the M/T 275/60 Pro or the Hoosier 275/60 which is a better tire. The other change is they now allow N/A combos to run as well so you have 632ci BB Chevy's etc. We usually have 36+ cars at the big races, smaller races still draw 16-24 so you have plenty of competition.

Here's a video from a year ago where I went to the finals.

Full Elimination video

It's a great class. This year they put us on the old M/T 275/60 radial so it slowed me down a little from this video where we could run the M/T 275/60 Pro or the Hoosier 275/60 which is a better tire. The other change is they now allow N/A combos to run as well so you have 632ci BB Chevy's etc. We usually have 36+ cars at the big races, smaller races still draw 16-24 so you have plenty of competition.

Damn Dusty, those were some wicked vids!

KS

Damn Dusty, those were some wicked vids!

KS

There's plenty of them out there to see. Nothing like having this many heads up cars on the grounds at the same time.

Here's a promo video. The lil Buick gets some love at the opening:) That was a 4.87 on the brakes.

There's plenty of them out there to see. Nothing like having this many heads up cars on the grounds at the same time.

Here's a promo video. The lil Buick gets some love at the opening:) That was a 4.87 on the brakes.

Those cars are flying on the small tire. The ramp in and attention to track conditions must be the determining factor almost every race.

You do have to pay close attention to the track temp during the day. I have a day time tune-up and suspension set-up, and a night time tune up. The night time tune-up will spin if the track is over 120 degrees. The day time tune up will do a wheel stand at night. It's a fine line. With the 80mm class, I have full boost at 1.2 seconds...I've had it as quick as .7 but all I could see is sky:)

You do have to pay close attention to the track temp during the day. I have a day time tune-up and suspension set-up, and a night time tune up. The night time tune-up will spin if the track is over 120 degrees. The day time tune up will do a wheel stand at night. It's a fine line. With the 80mm class, I have full boost at 1.2 seconds...I've had it as quick as .7 but all I could see is sky:)
Sick times! What type of drive train do you run in that car?

What are the sixty times? Must be high teen to low 20's average with some 16-17's here and there.

Back