better 60 ft times

TKGN1

Getting a little frustrated about my 60 ft times.
Suspension combo (rear):
Adjustable uppers - set at -2* pinion
eibach springs
aluminum lowers
QA1's (tried different settings on those)
stock roll bar

best 60 ft times where:
With 17" nittos got a 1.75 60 ft (once out of 6 times, rest where 1.9s or worse)
With 15" M/T et streets 1.66, 1.70, 1.78

Tried foot braking, foot braking at different rpms, AND trans brake.
Most of the time I would launch decent but would blow the tires off at about 20-30 feet out.
Would HR anti roll bar help? Any suggestions
All passes where in street trim (street chip, alky, 18 psi, 17" nittos or M/Ts), 1/4 times varied on 60 ft from 12.00 to 11.60 all at 117-120 mph.
don't want to bother going to race trim without being able to hook up on the lower settings.
Thanks for any help.

Ive been preaching that Bar like crazy.

Im a firm believer in the HR parts sway bar. It works like crazy. And I still havent taken the front sway bar off yet. I went from a sloppy 1.8 to a 1.54 on a 2 pound boost launch.

How well was the track prepped?

I think et streets are "decent" and nittos arent that great unless the track is dead on that day and not too greasy.

Ive always had my best times on et drags....
Ive used 305/40?/16 M&H racemasters 1.60
275/50 nittos, low 1.7s
255 BFG's, low 1.7s
26x9 and worse
26x10.5 ET STREETS, worse
28x10.5 and 1.58
28x9.0 et drags. 1.62

Maybe some of it is launch technique, how much boost are you leaving with, and if its spinning at 30 feet out, what are you doing to resolve that issue the next pass???

PS, i dont know about you, but i dont think anyone here is doing high boost launches on nittos, more like launching at 4-8psi and rolling down on it until the car starts to break loose.

BW

No bags in right now, pulled them when I did suspension change, might need to put it back in.

track was prepped pretty well, other cars where hooking decently.
tried different levels of boost from 0 lbs to 10 lbs, varying rpm's.
thought suspension could be unloading, but not sure.

HR sway bar alone make that much difference?

Too bad there werent more turbo regals out there so you could compare if everyone was doing good/bad/great??

I dont think the bar will make THAT big of a difference, I do have one on my daily driver ( yeah i know im kinda ass backwards) but it does go straight.

I am sticking to tires, John Plog from nebraska is consistant in the 1.5s with a bone stock rear sway bar..

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/members/johnplogii.html

Johns a great guy and frequents our track alot now, and he gets it done right too!!
BW

thanks for the help.
Hate to spend the money on the sway bar for no gains.
Might have to suck it up and hit the track again trying different combos.

there was a...

discussion about tires a while back and to make a long story short, it was determined that the advantage of the 15" over the larger dia. rims, were the ability of the tires to wrinkle due to the width of the side walls. the larger rim proved to have too stiff a side wall to sqat, allowing the tire to break traction.:smile:

Getting a little frustrated about my 60 ft times.
Suspension combo (rear):
Adjustable uppers - set at -2* pinion
eibach springs
aluminum lowers
QA1's (tried different settings on those)
stock roll bar

Dont worry about the HR bar yet. I went consistent low 1.3's with the ATR bar. The HR bar will not put a car from the 1.7's to the 1.4's. You have other problems. What kind of shocks do you have in the front? From the sounds of it, the car initially hooks, and then blows the tires off. I am going to guess your springs are causing this. Do you have a set of stock springs that you can pop in one day at the track?

Also, try more pinion angle (-2.5 - -2.75). Set your qa1's at zero and your tires at 11psi. There is no reason you shouldnt be at least in the 1.5's.

I made a few passes with the 15" M/Ts (27 x 10.5 x 15), 1.66 best 60 ft with those, don't think it was a tire issue. I know I'm not going to get great 60s with the 17's, but should at least see consistant 1.7s -1.8s.:confused:

I still have the stock springs in a box, kinda thought that could be an issue with the lowered eibachs springs.
Front suspension:
tubular uppers and lowers
eibach springs
QA1s
I agree on the 1.5 60s, car pulls hard the rest of the track, just launches like a terd.

I would try the stock springs first since it isn't going to cost you any money and see what happens. Then, add more pinion angle, see what happens. You need to troubleshoot ONE thing at a time, you'll figure it out.

How many miles on the rear end? Maybe the clutches are going.

My rear end has 105k miles. The rear suspension is completely stock and no air bags. I started using BFG drag radials about 2 yrs ago and my best was a 1.61. Over the last several years, the more I ran the higher that number got. Finally, I couldn't 60ft better than a 1.76.

A friend recommended Redline NS diff fluid. NS for non-slip (no additive). First pass, 1.60. My best yet.

Try some NS and if that doesn't help, have the rear end checked out.

Good rear, just had it freshened 4 months ago, with additive. Thanks though.
Need to get get with some of you Houston guys for a track day.
We hit Seally at least once a month, figured I would see a Buick or two ocassionally, but none yet.

Sealy is a little to far out for me. I hear the shutdown area comes up a little short.

Closest track to us pretty much.
Running 120mph, no problem shutting down, but it definatly is less than HRP or SAR (beats the heck out of Temple though:eek: ). Good brakes are a plus there.

Gonna try adjusting shocks and/or putting in a little more pinion angle for starters for the 60 ft. If that doesn't work, put air bag in, then swapping springs for the last resort before going with aftermarket swaybar ($).
Also, tires are M/T et street (NOT radials).

I have CE front and rear adjustable shocks, boxed lowers, stock uppers, stock springs, passenger side airbag, stock sway bar (front and rear). My best 60' is 1.53, with a 1.57 and a bunch of 1.6x times on MT ET Street radials. I launch off the foot brake; tires @ 20 PSI. I'm thinking you may need a taller tire. I couldn't get the 275-50 (26" tall) MT ET Street Radials to hook at all but when I moved to the 275-60 (28" tall) it really began to hook up.

Jim

I have thought about that, especially since I'm turning 5900 rpm across the traps already. Thanks.

I am with Bryan on this one, try some good fresh slicks. I fought 60fts the better part of the season this year and the biggest part of the problem was m/t et streets (not radials). They flat out stink on my car. The best I ever got was a 1.59 60ft & towards the end I was getting mid to high 1.70's. They still had plenty of tread left too. I got new hoosier slicks & 60ft 1.50's all day now. Sunday in 45 degree weather I got a 1.50, three 1.51's & a 1.57 (blew the tires on that run). I still have issues but the tires made a world of difference.

Bryan, where were you sunday? Chiefs game?