Beyond 547

There have been rumors in the motorsport community about a few buicks which were snuck in and out of the ASC McClaren facility and officially "GNX"-ized behind the original 547. I believe there was a "548" and "549" - maybe others.

Can anyone fuel this rumor? Where are those cars? It makes for some great conversation.

Didn't a general manager at ASC make one out of a moonroof? And I thought they also did a white one, though not sure on this one?

jpratt said:
................I thought they also did a white one, though not sure on this one?

I've heard the same, although IIRC, the white one did not receive the full treatment - maybe only cosmetic (flares, functional louvers, no suspension) :confused: :confused:

The white GNX is Rick Hunt's T-type, it was altered to represent what a white GNX would look like. He was an ASC employee during the time (The production of the GNX's), and he had the ability and access to tooling. From what I have heard the mechanicals are of a GNX were installed on the car.

GNX original parts **WANTED**

Will pay top dollar for any original GNX parts and/or literature(posters, manuals ect.) You can email me at: impala3001@aol.com
As for GNX 548 and 549 I will inquire with a former ASC worker that was there for the whole creation of the GNX. I will post any info that is passed my way.

I have photos of of a 1986 GNX ASC prototype in completed condition. Would that be what you're thinking?

Back around 1991, I called on a classified ad. The guy was from New York (Howard Beach area?) He said his car had the GNX treatment and was fully documented with ASC receipts. The only thing he did not have was the 548 dash placque because he said that ASC wanted $5,000.00 for that alone. The car was stored. I never went to see it. :frown:

okboo said:
Back around 1991, I called on a classified ad. The guy was from New York (Howard Beach area?) He said his car had the GNX treatment and was fully documented with ASC receipts. The only thing he did not have was the 548 dash placque because he said that ASC wanted $5,000.00 for that alone. The car was stored. I never went to see it. :frown:
I will post any info that the ASC worker tells me, I would think that the car you are reffering to was probably a cloned car. For them to ask 5,000 for the number plate after they just bought everything else from them, seems odd. They would have had to spend at least 15,000 for the ASC items.

TT/A1233 said:
I have photos of of a 1986 GNX ASC prototype in completed condition.......

Possibly. Please post so we can oogle over rare machinery!!!! :biggrin:

Additionally, I have heard that non-86/87 cars got the full treatment. Maybe 84's??????????

According to the GN Facts and Figures Book from Poston, the last G body rolled off the assembly line at General Motors' "G Car" Assembly Plant in Pontiac, Michigan on December 11, 1987. Bob Colvin bought the car, #547 GNX. His family owns a GM dealership in Springhill, LA.

Original plans called for Cutlass's and Monte Carlo's to continue production several days after the last Buicks. As the last G Body rolled past the different assembly stations, those workers became unemployed. The words "last turbo" was written on the turbo shield. Some workers placed a sign on the back glass that read "the end".

According to the script, "Now it was time for the window sticker. I walked over the table where they were stacked earlier that morning, and sure enough, there was only one left. There was something different about this label. It displayed the words, "last Grand National."

The last page of Chapter 6 is a letter from S. Maitland, Plant Manager Pontiac Assembly. It is dated December 15, 1987 and is to Mr. Bob Colvin, Springhill Motors.

It reads, "The last "G" car built at C.P.C Pontiac Assembly was a Buick Grand National V.I.N.# 1G4GJ1179HP465288. This car was produced on December 11, 1987 and was the final car produced at this plant.

Mr.Colvin did indeed buy the last car off the line. I am also sure he owns/owned a GNX. But the last car, the one the VIN references, was a GN not a GNX. If I read your post incorrectly please accept my apology; but that is how it appears to read to me. The X's were completed well before 12/11/87

I honestly don't know. I am just typing what I read in the GN facts and figures book that I ordered from Poston Buick. The material came from Chapter 6 titled the Last Grand National. It VERY WELL MAY BE WRONG. Please post if anyone knows different, b/c I would like to know for my own personal knowledge.

Yeah.............Colvin bought the last GN, not the GNX. If I recall several years back I saw pics of GNX 547 on the net. It was located in Pittsburgh PA and I think it was for sale (not sure).

BlueLimited87 said:
Yeah.............Colvin bought the last GN, not the GNX. If I recall several years back I saw pics of GNX 547 on the net. It was located in Pittsburgh PA and I think it was for sale (not sure).
#547 was for sale 6 months ago.........150,000.00 firm.

Yeah I own the Buick Facts and figures book and it says he bought the last GN and that he had also been able to pick up a GNX.

FBSideoiler427 said:
There have been rumors in the motorsport community about a few buicks which were snuck in and out of the ASC McClaren facility and officially "GNX"-ized behind the original 547. I believe there was a "548" and "549" - maybe others.

Can anyone fuel this rumor? Where are those cars? It makes for some great conversation.

There is a company that makes exact replica GNX dash badging so if you have a clone you can even have a number that looks real. They make any# you want and I have seen pics of clones that had the# 548 in it. The late President of ASC had a GNX made(The only one that was factory done) with an astroroof. I cant remember the# off hand but I believe it was# 6. As for the White GNX it is known as X-Ray and it was built by a worker for ASC that had access to all the parts. He said that he just used left over parts that they had at the plant from when they made the GNX's

I have the video tape of the Bob Colvin's Gran National going down the assembly line. Actually it was the second to the last GN produced, the last one was to go to the General Motors museum. The reason why it was labled the last one is because it was the last one built for sale to the public. At the time Colvin was going to keep the car on his show room floor and give it to his son, who at the time was around 8 or 9 years old.
There were two people filming the event, one was Bob Colvin and the other a Generl Motors film crew.
My GN was on the line the same week, I still have it, in storage has 29 miles on the odometer, never driven,. Still has all of the original factory stickers, and chalk marks on the exterior.

Tony
TZ06

Thanks for the clear up guys. I must have misinterpreted the material. It was some time ago I read it. I just got the book out to relay the material.

TonyZ, INVU!!!

After reading about your car, I had this big SH1T eating grin on my face. Its nice to know there are cars out there in that condition.

my85grandnation said:
There is a company that makes exact replica GNX dash badging so if you have a clone you can even have a number that looks real. They make any# you want and I have seen pics of clones that had the# 548 in it. The late President of ASC had a GNX made(The only one that was factory done) with an astroroof. I cant remember the# off hand but I believe it was# 6. As for the White GNX it is known as X-Ray and it was built by a worker for ASC that had access to all the parts. He said that he just used left over parts that they had at the plant from when they made the GNX's
Do yuo know the company name or website that makes the GNX duplicate dash #'s?