Bigger Fuel lines?

87we410877

I am looking to make 700 HP with my new combo and was wondering, shouldn't i change the fuel line to a bigger one with a bigger fuel filter? Im running a SX Perfomance external pump rated at 1100 HP and 83 lb siemens injectors. I was thinking at least a #8 an line all the way up. Can i still use the stock fuel rails or will they need to be replaced as well? Also if i change the line out of the pump to a bigger one, wouldnt i have to also change the flexible like going into the tank and into the pump? Thanks alot.

With that set up I would go with hard aluminum line up to the front of the car then transition to the braided. Somebody makes a nice aftermarket fuel rail that probably has an AN fitting right on the rail. At least cut the fitting off the stock rail and have a steel AN fitting welded right to the rail. The return seems more involved because of the regulator and with the power of a SX system you want to make sure the extra fuel can get back to the tank when it is not needed.

I recall reading about some board member, a vendor I think (maybe Race Jace - not sure, maybe he makes the fuel rail) was running high 9's thru the stock fuel lines and a single 340 - but it was some time ago that I was reading this.

bigger fuel lines

Hi,
I would say that your bigger idea is probably a good one. As long as you are at it, I would go up to 7/16,and definitely do it all the way from the pump to the motor. 1/2 seems to be too much, to me. I am not familiar with the AN sizes, but I bet the rough equivalent exsists. Good luck with your project!

i believe that the an size for 7/16 is a #6 and 1/2 is #8. not knowing much about these cars quite yet i cant say one way or the other what is best, but on my race car i had #8 from the cell to the fuel pressure regulator and i was running around 800hp on hp and 1175 on the spray.

Heres what i got. Is this a modified rail already?

Attachments

• fuel line1.jpg
    fuel line1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 293
AN hose sizes:
-4 = 4/16" ID
-6 = 6/16" ID
-8 = 8/16" ID
-10 = 10/16" ID
so on and so on.
Typically in high HP gas applications you should run a -8 supply line.

board member on the tbs board "bullet87" selling the braided fuel lines, w/an fittings. $150-170.00. depending on a quick disconnect or standard.
TurboBuicks.com - Braided Fuel Lines w/ AN Fittings

this might be an option to consider.:confused:

Is there any way my name can be re-activated on that site? For some reason it was de-activated. It is 87we41087. same as this one less one of the 7's at the end. If not, does anyone have that guys e-mail adress? I would like to see some pics and talk to him. Thanks.

Bigger Fuel Lines

Here's what I run on my set up. From the SX pump to the gas tank, -10, from the pump to the filter and to the fuel rails, -8, return line, the factory supply line which is -6. Any less than -6 on the return line and you can't adjust your fuel pressure below 50 psig.

Bigger Fuel Lines

Another point of clarification, my combination is a Duetweiller built stage I, PT-72 turbo, 83 lb injectors, Hemco upper plenum, Duetweiller cam, ebay headers, 3400 stall converter, ladder bar suspension, FAST engine management system. And much more.

Ok guys. Thanks alot. Hey how did you run the # 10 from the tank to the pump? Did you drop the tank? Also. any word on my fuel rail? Is it ok? thanks .

I heard someone was looking for me about some lines? Just PM me with what you are looking for and I will get you straight.

I ended up going with hard lines. Still dont know what to do about the tank though? any ideas?

I have a -8 SS hose to the rail and -6 off the stock reg.

You need to have someone put on -8 and -6 fittings on your fuel pump hanger, I had a board member do it for really cheap IMO. Then just screw on the hose end fittings and run your lines.

Attachments

• GN Fuel Tank Line Mod.jpg
    GN Fuel Tank Line Mod.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 148