BLM pegged at 90-code 45

SpeeednV6

I finally got her running after 5 years! She was running good before I popped a head gasket. Anyhow, I put a set of used heads on, a set of brand new 60lber's, an old 237 regulator-my adjustable has a bad diaphram, a fresh set of NGK UR5's set to .30, a brand new Denso O2 sensor, and a Red's chip. I was dealing for years with 150 pegged BLM's.
When I first started up, I shut her off after a minute because I did not want to spin a bearing for sitting so long. I looked at the FP gauge and noticed as soon as I shut it off, pressure dropped very quickly. My FP gauge is glycerin filled and accurate to within 1%- a grade A gauge! After the 2nd start, I let her run until hot. I shut her off and FP stayed high for a while longer this time. Now I start the car and she's running like a diesal freight train-black smoke, very rich! My BLM's are pegged at 90 and would like some troubleshooting insight. Here are Scanmaster#'s, hot at idle:
AF=6
L8=35-42
Bat=13.7-14.1
Int=100-126-mostly low end
BL=90-I disconnected hose to regulator, no change.
Cle=164-167*
Ats=94
R's=800-925-varies
TPS=.46-I keep it high to get into P.E. mode quicker at WOT
IAC=39-sometimes 10-25 as well.

237 regulator: 40psi line on/43 psi line off.
Vaccuum is 17
Oil pressure is 16psi

I did not check plugs yet. I did unplug MAF with no change in BL, though she did idle a little smoother.

Take it out and drive it and let the ECM "learn". I would set the TPS back to .42 + or - .02 P.E. mode is based on load not TPS position alone. P.E. is calculated from MAF readings, TPS, RPM, ect. Most chips are set to go into P.E. at a load value of 160 but I'm sure there are exceptions.

what is your maf numbers at idle sensors not in backwards is it ?
check the arrow on the MAF make sure you didnt put i on backwards

Maf is in correctly. I just set the Tps to .42, no change. I wonder if it's the pump or regulator or even a bad injector?

I checked all plugs. I put the ignition on without starting and plugs were black, but dry. I drove her around a little bit to get the cobwebs off...boy she feels good! I got most of the black smoke out...most was from oil that i put in the cylinder walls before I put the heads on. According to my f/p gauge, pressure is leaking very slowly...an improvement. I regapped the NGK UR5's to .32 just to see if that would make a difference with my rough idle. I made a few pulls around 16psi boost and I'm still rich at .835. I am popping at this boost level as well. The coil pack is new and it ohmed out high 12's, though 2 coils were the same and 1 was off about .50. BL is still pegged at 90 and code 45 is shown on Scanmater. I will try replacing fuel reg. and if that isn't it, I will pull the fuel tank. Any other suggestions?

what are the ints and blms at a steady cruise, and/or light accel?

Int's were lower 100's at cruise. I gunned it and Maf was 248. Blm's stay close to 90 at cruise.

If this happened at the same time as the injector/chip change, it sounds like the chip may be too rich.

Another thing that could do stuff like that is a flaky MAF, but I'm leaning more towards the chip.

Bob

It could be the chip. It's a Red's chip that I purchased off a member. I will have to get another chip to verify.

I took her out for a spin today. I wanted to verify BL. It does stay pegged at 90 weather at idle or WOT. Int's were 110-131 back and fourth. Majority of the black smoke is out, just a little at cold start-up.

Red's chips have always been known to be horribly rich across the band! I would strongly recommend you try something from either Bob Bailey or Eric Marshall. One that you know for sure is cut for your injectors.
Do you know for sure the MAF is good to go? Have you tried a known good one?
But I'm leaning toward the chip being wrong.

Mototrons-60lber's: brand new. I don't have another chip on hand so I will call Erick and try one of his chips.

Denso O2 is brand new, coil pack is brand new, NGR UR5's are brand new-set at .32...they are black now.

I had Red's chips in the past. I didn't know he sets BL's at 90? Then again, I was fighting with BL's pegged at 150 back then.

I changed Maf's today. I forgot that I had a spare laying around. I put it on and BLM's were still locked at 90. The one thing that changed was in Park, idleing, peddle down, it finally locked to 115. Int's locked to 128. This Maf has 2 screens in it. I also noticed my brand new Denso O2 was taking a while to cycle. TPS didn't didn't move idleing in Park with pedal down. Isn't Tps supposed to move in idle?

tps should always work. The update rate of the data from the ecm is painfully slow, so it will miss a quick poke of the throttle.

Some of Red's chips were set up for no screens in the MAF, which leans things out some. So this might be part of it.

How many screens in the first MAF?

Bob