blowby resolution and >

datant69

had the car looked at by a few mechanics and one of my rings is bad. so now i'm looking at redo all the rings.quotes i've had run 1200 or more. my ? is should i run comp rings and can running alky cause this problem more often? i'm new to it annd love the car but want it running strong and right. i want different opinions and experiances on this issue. so please let me know what you think. i did a compression check on all cylinders and 1 is showing 30 while the rest are at 120.

A ring wont show that low of compression, you have a blown headgasket, the fire ring went out and either went outward toward the header, or into the intake.

Pull the heads

BW

had the car looked at by a few mechanics and one of my rings is bad. ...........
X5, and, find another mechanic.
Any mechanic who makes such a claim, and does not at a minimum perform a leak down test, has no business working on other people's cars for $$.

X6.. all good advice here.

After the head gasket is replaced you'll have to make sure the car is running rich at wide at open throttle and not detonating, other wise the gasket will pop again.

NOTE that Otto used the plural of head!! As in head. Pull BOTH of them.

rings or headgasket

ok several of you guys are saying headgasket, but if i'm only getting bad compression on 1 cylinder would i necessarily have to replace both sides? can i get by replacing the bad side? and would i have to have the head or heads turned?

Again, that will be determined by what you find when you get the head off. That is why the other head needs to be removed and inspected as to save you blowing it later due to a presently unknown problem.

head gasket R & R

ok so if i have a blown head gasket then i replace it and take the heads to get them turned. if both are good and just need to be machined then anyone have a ballpark of what would be a decent price at any reputable mechanic? if i have to but a head due to one being cracked then what do new or refurbed heads run? just wanted to ask since i'll be trying to get this done and would like to know a good price compared to someone looking to make a killing on me. i know alittle about it but not enough to do the work myself. also since the heads do have to come off i'm sure it's a good thing to get them looked at and turned???????

Chilton's labor guide 7.1 hours
532.50 labor
130.00 jet wash and surface mill cylinder heads
155.22 Victor Nitro-seal head set and valley pan
38.97 Joe Gibbs oil and GM filter
14.95 Antifreeze
48.28 ARP head bolts
25.74 AC delco r43TS plugs

$945.78 before sales tax was the invoice I just looked at for the same job.

I hope this helps.

head gasket

the guy i bought it from is going to do the work, he quoted me 5-600 roughly. i thought since i bought it from him he would know the car inside and out and when i took it to him and told him the issues i had with smoke and compression he said head gasket immediately. i don't know him very well but some of the people who know him say he's a good mechanic and is honest. Just dropped it off and he said he'll try and have it out by saturday. i'll be a happy camper then, only thing i have to work on fixing is the AC i need to put in another compressor. that will be the next thing i do.

i'll be a happy camper then, only thing i have to work on fixing is the AC i need to put in another compressor. that will be the next thing i do.

I think you may need to fix the reason it popped first, or you'll be doing it again.

resolution

well it's in the best hands that i know of to find out and fix it, it runs fine with the exception of the smoke. i talked to bill duke and he said he thinks its the head gasket unless i screwed up a cylinder and he won't know until he has the heads off. so hoping for the head gasket having a bad spot letting the compression out and if it's worse then i guess i'll deal with it then. i swear that shop is one hell of a guys type of toy store. their doing a viper convert on a old school cuda and had a packard 8 in mint condition in one of the bays. bill duke has a great rep around here and hope he can get this taken care of at a reasonable rate. i know this won't be the last time i take the car to him for repair and am looking for upgrades in the future to include a knock sensor, that electronic gadget ( i can't think of the name of it right now but hooks up to your CPU and gives you info through a laptop) and temp sensor because i hate the dummy lite. any other up grades you guys can let me know, i would like some things to help me know when i need to check out things or have a had vaccuum line or ????

PLEASE buy yourself a Scanmaster & a good Boost Guage & a Fuel Pressure Guage with 3 feet of line so you can tape it to the windshield for checking problems OR you WILL be doing the gaskets on a regular basis! Your amount of boost is set by what octane fuel you use. An alchy kit will cover low octane & still let you run 20 lbs of boost very safely. Pay now or pay later but if you pay now then you can actually enjoy the car more. Also I dont know what chip you have but a Turbo Tweak chip burned for Your Combo will do wonders for your performance!

blowby

scanmaster is one of the things i plan on buying real soon. i would like to be able to use it and get feedback from you guys on the readings. i was just curious what does the knock sensor does? i know alot of these things you mentioned will help keep it on the road then parked waiting for repair so i;m just trying to find out a game plan on how to make sure i get alot more road time then sitting time. so no temp gauge? i also am going to be ordering a pillar so i can add a few more gauges that are a must depending on how i drive it. i normally drive it like a grandma but the one time i got alittle pushy with it is when i got the blowby issue.

scanmaster is one of the things i plan on buying real soon. i would like to be able to use it and get feedback from you guys on the readings. i was just curious what does the knock sensor does? i know alot of these things you mentioned will help keep it on the road then parked waiting for repair so i;m just trying to find out a game plan on how to make sure i get alot more road time then sitting time. so no temp gauge? i also am going to be ordering a pillar so i can add a few more gauges that are a must depending on how i drive it. i normally drive it like a grandma but the one time i got alittle pushy with it is when i got the blowby issue.

Oil pressure & water temp are both useful. I kept it to a minimum. If you have the $$ go for the x-16 guage with the Bosch A/f from Full Throttle. Very hany tool to have. Also if you can afford it get the Power Logger setup so you can put your laptop in the car & record everything then play it back & analyze everything frame by frame. Very Helpful as you can post it here & everyone can take a look at whats going on. But I still use my Scan Master for every day use & its the easiet to set up & watch while driving.

PS: An Audible Knock guage is great! It screams & you Get Off the Gas real fast. Also it updates faster than the LED knock sensor. Also the knock sensor Retards Timing when it see's any knock

upgrades

thanks i'm going to add these to the list of things i'll be adding to the car when possible.