You can type here any text you want

Busted Wheel !!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

scot w.

GNSperformance.com
This is what happens sometimes when you put aftermarket products to the test.

This happened this past weekend at an Autocross in California. The damage to the car is sad and I wonder if the wheel manufacture will pay for the repairs?

A perfect example that even though some aftermarket parts seem to work well on the street doesn't mean they will work on the track or pushed hard. :eek:

In the last picture you can see cracks forming on another wheel...

Scot W.

Attachments

• 189954_680900732510_19907323_36854219_8205034_n.jpg
    189954_680900732510_19907323_36854219_8205034_n.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 558
  • 185926_680900907160_19907323_36854222_6274475_n.jpg
    185926_680900907160_19907323_36854222_6274475_n.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 566
  • 190506_680901036900_19907323_36854226_5604746_n.jpg
    190506_680901036900_19907323_36854226_5604746_n.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 565
Wow... and that wasn't even on race rubber.

Note to self: don't buy Boze wheels, ever.

Stay with well known race tested brands or pay your $$$ & take your chances!
The company better cough up some $$$$ or that is could be some Bad Advertising on You Tube!

Ouch that sucks...for a second I thought this happened to your car til I saw the photos!:eek:

sux....

...i am guessing those aren't billet or forged centers... i will check the site for specs

That wheel was the Boze – ZE Forged Mesh 3pc. front 20×9 and rear 20×10.5

Yikes, that blows...

I too thought you were posting about your car... I was like noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! :)

Yikes, that blows...

I too thought you were posting about your car... I was like noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! :)

Same here James.:eek:

I had a set of super light prime forged on a Toyota truck many years ago and had the rim split on me while I was driving down the highway at 70 and I felt it let go. I was lucky but the rim was ruined.:mad: This wasn't a "performance" truck either. The tire was fine and I just replaced 2 rims so I could get home but it still pissed me off.:mad:

when you know nothing!

Yeah "Forged by Fisher Price". :biggrin:

its easy to be a monday morning quarterback!

the forgings that this wheel mfg uses are the same as almost ALL wheel mfg's use!
they are quality, tested, forged pieces.
they are made in America.

I don't know what happened to this wheel, but its between the owner and the MFG.

you'd be surprised of how many other brands/makes this wheel Mfg makes!
they are made in anahiem.ca.

Nice! Those wheels are supposed to be good wheels too. At least he didnt get killed in the car. Thats some dangerous stuff right there!

that sucks! Unfortunately, that's the life of a performance car, especially on a road course. It's usually not a question of "if", it's just a matter of "when". If it doesn't happen to you, it will be the guy next to you who then takes you out too... you find some things you never expect when racing, should see what the final turn at Road Atlanta does to front lower balljoints :eek:

Hopefully the wheel manufacturer straightens it out. But, it serves as a reminder that racecars need constant inspection and maintenance in-between track sessions.

its easy to be a monday morning quarterback!

the forgings that this wheel mfg uses are the same as almost ALL wheel mfg's use!
they are quality, tested, forged pieces.
they are made in America.

I don't know what happened to this wheel, but its between the owner and the MFG.

you'd be surprised of how many other brands/makes this wheel Mfg makes!
they are made in anahiem.ca.

Learn to take a joke here and there, muffin tits.

But, since you brought it up...

Sure the forging was a fine American piece but that doesn't mean the wheel's engineering was up to par. As well, because we are all consumers here this is public information and we are all privy to the circumstances behind it.

There ain't much meat at all where the wheel broke, bad design for that particular application I'd GUESS. :(

They'd probably look good and perform well parked at a show. ;)

I'd bet he gets a new wheel out of the deal and probably not much more.

Racing part warranty I'm sure will apply.

There ain't much meat at all where the wheel broke, bad design for that particular application I'd GUESS. :(

They'd probably look good and perform well parked at a show. ;)

I'd bet he gets a new wheel out of the deal and probably not much more.

Racing part warranty I'm sure will apply.

I'd have to agree, there's a lot of weight and a ton of force on that section of wheel. This is why I personally didnt want a mesh style wheel but I know some have held up fine for quite sometime.

Those wheels are very good quality wheels and have had a good reputation. BUT....everyone will have to agree that there is very little meat at the breaking point. Now imagine pushing that car hard into a left hand corner with all the weight and force of that car at whatever MPH he was going. It really doesnt suprise me that it broke where it did.

That really sucks and really damaged the car. I cant blame the manufacturer though. I'd blame the owner for purchasing that wheel for his application.

We have had 2 local guys having wheel problems. Both were that style wheel, various manufacturers. One wheel came off simularly to this but with much less damage to car. The other just noticed cracking in his. The local club has put out warning to its members to check their wheels.

With todays suspension/brake technology, we are puting more and more force on our cars and rules need to start to be applied to keep people safe.

I feel for the owner and the wheel manufacturer but it's a hard lesson to learn from.

why would anyone design a wheel with the thinnest part of the wheel being the part that sees the most loading?
this kind of thinking might work woth 15" or 16" wheels on a 3000 pound car, but not on a 20" wheel on a 4000+ pound car. there is a reason the factory wheels on the V8 Camaros look like they were made for an M1A1 Abrams tank..

Back