CAS intercoolers

Otto J

if you were going front mount and were buying one from CAS
wouldyou buy the V1 or V2?
i was going to buy one from jack cotton but i they have been oon backorder forever and i dont see them coming any day soon
thanks

being that its only about 200 more would you just buy the V1?
the car should go pretty fast with what i have

not unless I was going nines-don't guess it would hurt if you want to spend the money....Looks like low tens if it comes together :)

I would spend the money on a girdle, myself.

I bought the V-1 and I'm not sorry.Same story,we're out of V-2's,want a V-1?Er,ah,yeah.Why not?I wasn't sorry.The extra charge air cooling always helps.
If you're going to deal with Jack,why not get his big front mount?The piping is stronger,not as prone to collapsing under the strain of the clamps.

the V1 and Cottos front mount look to be about the same ?
the problem is cotton doesnt have his and right now the car has is done except the intercooler and i want to complete the car,
i will call him today to find out if he has a date or not on delivery
but i hate running my car with a stock intercooler(that is what is their right now)
thanks

I don't need to...I did not put a larger IC on my car than it can take advantage of.....:D

Being somewhat more serious...steel mains don't do anything to prevent the cranking from flexing the block...He has enuf capability to push 600+ hp and we know what that may do to a stock block.....:)

That's because good stuff is always imitated, never duplicated. Go with Tony's...using better technology too..extruded vs the older spearco design...

<<the V1 and Cottos front mount look to be about the same ?

Originally posted by jmidolo
That's because good stuff is always imitated, never duplicated. Go with Tony's...using better technology too..extruded vs the older spearco design...
<<the V1 and Cottos front mount look to be about the same ?

Tell us about the "better technology" that you speak of? Whats better about the extruded tube and fin vs the "older spearco design?"

It is more efficient at heat transfer.

The only question is, "Do you need more heat transfer or is your IC already overkill?" A V1 is overkill in the tens, I think.

If the price is relatively the same, why not go with the better technology?

But, we have been over this numerous times and there are guys out there willing to pay the same price for two welded together 15 year old cores as for something both new in construction as well as superior technology. To each his own.

Originally posted by Steve Wood

Being somewhat more serious...steel mains don't do anything to prevent the cranking from flexing the block...He has enuf capability to push 600+ hp and we know what that may do to a stock block.....:)

Steve you are going to start a huge debate!!!

:)

Why?...we all know steel mains are stronger than stock caps but the common problem is that the stock block does not lock the caps into place....does not matter what the material is. Look at the design of the Stage blocks and the cross bolting, depth of frame rail, etc. :)

A girdle is a poor man's attempt to bandaid some of the design weaknesses of the stock block.

Right, you can get better technology for the same price..why not? Heck, I buy V rated tires, not much more than H rated tires..why? Better tire, higher speed rating, about the same price (depending on brand) will I ever need to travel at the V rated speed?? No..will I ever Travel at H rated speed..nope. But better product for relatively the same money..why not.

It is more efficient at heat transfer.

The only question is, "Do you need more heat transfer or is your IC already overkill?" A V1 is overkill in the tens, I think.

If the price is relatively the same, why not go with the better technology?

But, we have been over this numerous times and there are guys out there willing to pay the same price for two welded together 15 year old cores as for something both new in construction as well as superior technology. To each his own.

Right, you can get better technology for the same price..why not? Heck, I buy V rated tires, not much more than H rated tires..why? Better tire, higher speed rating, about the same price (depending on brand) will I ever need to travel at the V rated speed?? No..will I ever Travel at H rated speed..nope. But better product for relatively the same money..why not.

That was a great analogy. However, theres a universally accepted method for determining tire speed ratings that goes further then "It's got better tread" so I dont think it quite applies here. ;)

I hear over and over again about the core type, but I have yet to see any hard evidence to show that the CAS unit is better.

What I DO know though (I have had BOTH on my car... along with all that other stuff that doesn't work like the ball bearing turbo) is that the Cotton's Front Mount has thicker pipes, cast elbows, felt lighter (only on my butt scale of course), and fit like a glove.

Great!! :) I would be very interested in the comparison you did with the bb turbo and the same model without the bbs.

I have not seen anyone say they don't work. What some of us would like to see is how well they worked for the money. :)

BTW, you can find some information on the different ic core types online which is more than you can say about turbo comparisons.

BTW, you can find some information on the different ic core types online

I'm not too good at this internet thing, anyone got good links?

Originally posted by RealFastV6

That was a great analogy. However, theres a universally accepted method for determining tire speed ratings that goes further then "It's got better tread" so I dont think it quite applies here. ;)

I don't think I ever said I would buy it cause it's got better tread...what I said was it was a better product for about the same money..that's the reason I would buy it. The same holds true in this IC case..a better product due to technological advancements in the designing process..so a Superior product for the same money..a no brainer in MOST situations..but in true Buick form...people will argue it :)

Originally posted by RealFastV6
I don't think I ever said I would buy it cause it's got better tread...what I said was it was a better product for about the same money..that's the reason I would buy it. The same holds true in this IC case..a better product due to technological advancements in the designing process..so a Superior product for the same money..a no brainer in MOST situations..but in true Buick form...people will argue it :)

...because nobody has shown any proof that theres a superior product. All I've seen is a bunch people trying to use words they themselvs dont understand in an attempt to talk above everyone's heads about the products in an effort to prove that one product is "superior" to another. The only person with a half-consious thought about the whole thing was Spoolinup in the old thread.

How about customer service?
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41081

How about thicker pipes/elbows that dont collapse?
How about the fact that the CPC stock location intercooler FITS!
How about the weight difference?

I'm sure Tony will tell you ALL DAY LONG how his product is superior because of the "blah blah core blah blah". And (I know this will come as a suprise to some of you) I'm sure Spearco will tell your THEIR cores are better!! It's funny how that works.

I'm here to learn just as you guys are, not to play the politics/bullshoot/hearsay game.

http://www.mrtrally.com.au/performance/howinter.htm
http://homepages.tig.com.au/~robs/hkscooler.htm
http://www.toymods.org.au/4A-GTE/#intercooler
http://homepages.tig.com.au/~robs/tuning2.htm

Funny you are sitting here screaming "More efficient" when everything I find says that Tube and Fin flows more, but COOLS LESS!??! Intercoolers dont work like radiators guys. The intercooler has to absorb the heat, unlike a radiator where the water is in the radiator long enough to actually shed it off. If the tubes are THINNER on a tube and fin intercooler without the internal fins also, then it wont absorb as much heat, right?

So lets see... you've got a LARGER Bar and Plate core which'll cool MORE then the Tube and Fin core. NOW I see the light, there IS a superior product!!!

http://members.cox.net/realfastv6/jcfm1.jpg <-- SMILE