Converter too loose?

if the trans were slipping that bad it would be fried already.if it is trans related it could be a leaky or failed solenoid,o ring on input shaft or blocked or restricted feed to clutch in the pump.very unlikely but always a possibility.id be happy to look at it for you.

if the trans were slipping that bad it would be fried already.if it is trans related it could be a leaky or failed solenoid,o ring on input shaft or blocked or restricted feed to clutch in the pump.very unlikely but always a possibility.id be happy to look at it for you.

Thanks Chris. I know the trans isn't slipping, but as you said it could be something else with the trans. It's unlikely, but I have to start somewhere. It has to come out to get the converter out anyway. May as well inspect them both.

Jim

Keep us updated on your progress. I wonder if a lockup really locks up to <1% at WOT anyway?

Keep us updated on your progress. I wonder if a lockup really locks up to <1% at WOT anyway?

Some do, some don't.

My previous 10" Yank would lock at 16 psi, but not at 25. I ran it a while, locking it at 25, letting it slip, and when it was opened up the clutch looked fine. It was a kevlar lining though.

B

Going back to the original point of this thread, your tranny or converter is slipping, what do you intend to do? I'd like to see you get the slippage down to 5% unlocked and maybe 1% locked, possible maybe ?
The 5% unlocked isnt going to happen easily with the current lockups available. They usually have a high slip that is reduced by the lockup feature to around 1% or less. Ive seen really good non locking converters come up under 5%.

Bob i can relate to your post.i have seen that scenario many times already.we had severall 9/11s that would lock up great at 15 ps1 and wouldnt at 16 18 or 25.the problem was found to be converter related.there are a few things to look at on the pump or nose of the trans but usually its converter related.kevlar wont burn easy so its hard to verify it visually.

Bob i can relate to your post.i have seen that scenario many times already.we had severall 9/11s that would lock up great at 15 ps1 and wouldnt at 16 18 or 25.the problem was found to be converter related.there are a few things to look at on the pump or nose of the trans but usually its converter related.kevlar wont burn easy so its hard to verify it visually.

Chris - since you're now 2 hours away from me I think I'll send the converter out first. If it comes back okay I'll make the trek to Bohemia. I checked it out on Google Earth. Looks like a nicer location than LIC, at least when you look at it from outer space :)

Jim

updates

Just wondering if you figured out what was wrong. I have a vig 5 disk and have not istalled it yet but want to make sure I have everything covered. :)

jim, i know this is an old ass post but im wondering what you found out.