You can type here any text you want

Converting V8 Limited to Turbo T gage cluster

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

darkred87T

I have an 87 Turbo T and I want to put a low mileage 86 V8 Limited interior in it. Here is my Dilemma; my Turbo T has buckets with console shift and the 86 Limited has split bench with shift on the column so the shift indicator is in the gage cluster. My Turbo T doesn't have the shift indicater in the gage cluster because it's on the console. I will have to remove the center console to get the Limited seats it it. I don't want to give up my Turbo gage cluster but also need to have a shift indicator. Do I need a Limited Turbo Gage cluster? Does anyone have pictures of a Limited turbo gage cluster?? Thanks

Is there a specific guage cluster for the Limited Turbo cars? They can't be the same as the GN's and T-types.

Turbo clusters were available in 4 different configurations: Digital dash w/floorshift, Digital dash with column shift,
Standard speedo with floorshift and standard speedo with column shift.

You need to find a column shift turbo cluster. Not the most popular item and NOT just in Limited cars. Some of the very basic (strippers) Turbo T-Types had bench seats and column shifts.

Dave

No, you just need to replace the gas gauge if it is analog or the dial(black plastic face with the letters) on digital. On analog, since the tach is on the gas gauge you will need to find one from a turbo car.

Here are the pictures of the two Guage clusters I have. The one on the top is the Turbo one from my T with buckets and the other from an 86 V8 Limited with column shift. The needle was an easy swap, however, I don't have the indicator on my Turbo cluster. Is there a decal or a template I can get? Has anyone ever done this?

Attachments

• 101_0152 (Medium).jpg
    101_0152 (Medium).jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 171
The lower one doesnt even have OD :biggrin:
Find a PRNDD21 TURBO one...

You should just be able to buy the column shifted faceplate from a turbo car that will bolt onto your turbo cluster.

Attachments

• 100_1202 (Small).jpg
    100_1202 (Small).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 169
Thanks,
Yeah, I was a little dissapointed when I bought the parts car. I thought the trans was going to be a 2004R but I bought it for the interior anyway. Anyhow, I guess I have to get a Turbo column faceplate. I was just hoping there was a decal I could get instead.

Will the 3-speed column shifter and hardware work with the 2004R? I assume it would, but it would suck to find out that it didn't once the car is all put back together.

You can get those rub-on white letters at Staples. If you space them correctly and in a straight line it might not look that bad. Otherwise I'd take the needle off. Having the needle there calls attention to the fact that there are no letters. They'll fail you at inspection (unless you take it to our friend on Rt. 206).

Jim

All column shift steering columns are the same so you dont need to worry about that part. Another option if you can live with out the tach/boost gauge would be to use the fuel gauge from an 82-85 Riviera. They all had the OD trans and use the same clusters as Regals. You could also use the cluster from an 84-85 analog Riviera T-Type if your looking too. The Riv fuel gauge looks just like your NA one in the picture except it has the OD shift pattern and says Riviera instead of Regal. You should be able to use all of the pointer parts out of that NA cluster too.

I have one of those Riviera fuel gauges if you need one. $20 shipped to your door. PM me if you are interested. Thanks Eric

The hardware for the columns are identical. Thanks TurboFish. I'm really trying to make my Turbo guage cluster happen. I guess for nostalgic reasons. Worst case scenario, if it doesn't pass inspection, I'll just put the NA 3 speed cluster in it and no one at the inspection station will know, right?

V8 limited cars were built with the right PRNDL for a column shift but no tach or boost gage. You need to find a Turbo column shift cluster to make it look stock.

I'm converting a nice 86 limited V8 car over to turbo. I have an 87 limited Turbo T that I'm using as a donor car.

finally I can help

Dave after all the times you've helped me. I can get you any photo, as I have a Limited and a gn. The shifter in my limited is real nice to drive. Have to watch if you are shifting by hand. Went down to look. Found that someone who answered you was right. The face plates are different.
Still has boost guage and column shifter icons. I have used press tpe on other ocassions. Could give you ans answer after I look again..HTH'ed.....Rob

turbojimmy said:
Will the 3-speed column shifter and hardware work with the 2004R? I assume it would, but it would suck to find out that it didn't once the car is all put back together.
Yes its the same hardware BUT you will have to adjust the length of the rod by loosening the nut near the pivot and adjust accordingly...The rod and parts are the same, but 3speed and 4speed are set to different lengths. I know this first hand because i converted my sage green car from a NA 3speed 3.8 to a 3.8SFITURBO :biggrin:

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
Yes its the same hardware BUT you will have to adjust the length of the rod by loosening the nut near the pivot and adjust accordingly...The rod and parts are the same, but 3speed and 4speed are set to different lengths. I know this first hand because i converted my sage green car from a NA 3speed 3.8 to a 3.8SFITURBO :biggrin:

TurboJImmy...Hope I got that right. You abousolutely right with that answer.
My car was driven by a woman. Who left it in drive. However went I went just to test it. Found that problem. Well the trans guy did. Didn't realized how many Limiteds where used as race cars. I figured more use by people like I met. With 1,035 I think Not a large number. By the way anyone have messurements for outside chrome pieces. My body guy took them off before I could make measurements. Would help a lot. Kept it the stock white with blue interior
Well done ,things we for get. ..............Rob

Apology for the awful spelling. But meant well. Still offer is good.

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
Does that have to do with the car not going in Park? I got it all hooked up but it won't go in Park now.

RobV6 said:
Apology for the awful spelling. But meant well. Still offer is good.

My brother still has all the chrome stuff off of the wrecked Limited. Maybe he'll measure them for you.

Mike: yes, that's why your car won't go into park. You need to loosen up the set screw and adjust the length of that rod.

Jim

Turbojimmy, anyhelp you could give me onmeasurements of Limited badges.
Would be greatly appriciated. My body guy started the car 2 days before we where suppose to meet. So I never got the chance to measure.

Would be willing to pay for time or photos....Don't belive in asking people unless really strapped.....Hope you understand...................Thanks Rob

RobV6 said:
Turbojimmy, anyhelp you could give me onmeasurements of Limited badges.
Would be greatly appriciated. My body guy started the car 2 days before we where suppose to meet. So I never got the chance to measure.

Would be willing to pay for time or photos....Don't belive in asking people unless really strapped.....Hope you understand...................Thanks Rob

Here's pics of the car:

http://www.turbojimmy.com/86_limited.htm

I'm not sure where the Limited badges would be, but if they're still there we can snap a pic or two before the car gets crushed.

Jim

Back