cracked intake manifold

not a v8

just finished a head gasket job & when i filled it with water, it started leaking @the pass side front bolt(right behind the turbo). upon closer inspection, i see a crack just behind the bolt.:mad: i pulled the manifold back off and sure as sh*t, it was cracked all the way thru to the water jacket. i have installed many intakes over the years but never cracked one:confused: has anybody seen this?

Sounds like a mis-alignment issue due to heads being milled, thinner head gaskets, block being decked, ect. Time to break out the TIG welder and fix it and then check the alignment. After welding, it will usually require milling anyway. It might be easier/cheaper to buy a used intake. It "can" be fixed with JB-Weld, too, but it can fail if not performed properly. You'll have to check the alignment CAREFULLY. Look for a bigger gap at the top of the manifold, vs. the lower surface of the port flanges. It'll be an angled/tapered gap. Use feeler gauges slipped into the front.

....... i have installed many intakes over the years but never cracked one:confused: has anybody seen this?

I have seen this happen a couple times over the years, but only on GN-1 alum heads. :confused:

Not a big deal to fix for someone good at aluminum welding. :)

ported stock heads/block. just put on rjc head gaskets. i have a extra intake but it will need to port matched to the heads. i just dont want a repeat performace.

Let me know how those gaskets work out for you. I have had nothing but bad luck with them and yes my heads are milled and intake. On the intake part be careful don't overtighten the corners any intake can break.

Let me know how those gaskets work out for you. I have had nothing but bad luck with them and yes my heads are milled and intake. On the intake part be careful don't overtighten the corners any intake can break.

bison had the rjc headgaskets on 1 of his cars and made probably over 600 flywheel hp with them with zero issues.ultimately what happened was the heads he was using were formerly oringed then filled with hardblock and recut well i guess the hardblock failed and i think the block got slightly scortched.

he also runs big boost anywhere from 27-30psi.

he also religiously does a retorque on all his engines

bison had the rjc headgaskets on 1 of his cars and made probably over 600 flywheel hp with them with zero issues.ultimately what happened was the heads he was using were formerly oringed then filled with hardblock and recut well i guess the hardblock failed and i think the block got slightly scortched.

he also runs big boost anywhere from 27-30psi.

he also religiously does a retorque on all his engines

Those gaskets were on the high mileage stock short block. Never leaked compression even once. Several minutes of wot time on them@ over 600whp before the #1 piston cracked. the car trapped nearly 134mph@28psi. It was run at 33psi for 3 months before the piston cracked. I ran a minimum of 110 octane and dual nozzle alky at all times

He also runs big boost anywhere from 27-30psi.

He also religiously does a retorque on all his engines

that is one thing i failed to do is retorque the heads it was to late by the time i got to it.

Those gaskets were on the high mileage stock short block. Never leaked compression even once. Several minutes of wot time on them@ over 600whp before the #1 piston cracked. the car trapped nearly 134mph@28psi. It was run at 33psi for 3 months before the piston cracked. I ran a minimum of 110 octane and dual nozzle alky at all times

You have so damn many of these engines i mixed up your engines. Either way i payed attention enough to remember the rjc gaskets were bullet proof and ALWAYS do a retorque !!!!