You can type here any text you want

Difference between FAST XFI, FAST B2B, and a MAFTPRO with WBO2?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chrisk

TurboTransAm.com
Can someone explain the differences between these? I have a wbo2 and was thinking about getting a maftpro. But I would like to know more about all these so I make te right decision. Also don't want to buy, then a year later buy again what I should of bought in the first place.
Do all these allow laptop hookup?

Thanks,
Chris

I'm no expert but from your question there is no difference between the old style fast and the new xfi. They both can be used in multiple ignition situations ie, HEI, B2B, Sequential, DIS and a few others. The xfi has more features due to progression naturally plus the LED's which I love the most. If you purchase one from a vendor they come w/ a WB. Don't know anything about the maftpro. Hope this helps.

Yes you'll need a laptop.

If you can get a good deal on a SEFI classic fast, I would go that route before I put a XFI on my car.

What are your goals with the car, street or race car? That makes a big difference!

I'm no expert but from your question there is no difference between the old style fast and the new xfi. They both can be used in multiple ignition situations ie, HEI, B2B, Sequential, DIS and a few others.

Actually, there are a lot of diferences between the Classic box and the XFI including one you listed above. The same XFI box can run any type of ignition. The Classic box has to be ordered specifically for the type of ignition you are using. All XFI's are SEFI w/individual cylinder control, variable scaling, analog sensor input, universal O2, SES output, blah, blah, blah..

And to add, B2B means Bank to Bank. which is how the injectors are fired. One bank on one revolution, and the other bank on the next revolution, and so on. It's not SEFI (sequential fuel injection).
FAST, XFI, etc. are stand alone engine management systems that replace your existing ECM.
Translator Pro is a "piggyback" system that runs in conjuctions with your existing ECM and compliments it. Also best when run with a dedicated Extender Pro chip to replace your existing chip.

My goals are to have a really bad ass street car. With the capability to fine tune via laptop. I always read that alot of people are now using FAST and really liking it. Is there a model for the B2B unit? Is this a discontinued unit that was replaced with XFI?
Anyone have screen shots of the way the program looks and the adjustments screen?

Thanks

The Classic FAST box was discontinued and replaced by the XFI system. You can still find deals on the older systems. We usually have used Classic boxes in stock that we take in on trade towards the newer XFI systems. You can go here:

FAST Software Downloads

for the software of both systems.

My goals are to have a really bad ass street car. With the capability to fine tune via laptop.

You can tune the MAF Pro through the keypad. The Pro is pretty easy to set up once you mess with it a little and the WOT closed loop fuel control works really well.

If you arent going to run bigger than 65# injectors or so, I'd go with the Pro. Anything above that, I'd probably do a standalone.

Can the MaftPro be hooked up to a laptop for logging and programming?

Yes but most of the programming can be done through the keypad unit. I believe the only advantage to doing any programming through the laptap is that it gives you better timing control.

The MAF Pro comes with a software package called TunerPro that makes hookup to the laptop really smooth and easy.
I've only played with demo versions of the software (because I don't have my MAF Pro yet), and it's really slick, has a dashboard too, and to be honest, it kinda reminds me of a super version of Direct Scan. Direct Scan is of course only a scan tool, not a tuning device.
TunerPro is both.

My little write up for that, A newbies guide to setting up the MAFTPro on a TR

I have the pleasure of running both. One thing to keep in mind, FAST and MAFTPro fight like step children if they are both hooked up. Leave it to me to hook up the FAST box half asleep leaving the MAFTPro plugged into the harness to find that out. :o

The MAFTPro is a good set up (I have a complete setup for sale if your interested). It would do everything you would want and can be tuned either from the box itself or a laptop which is a really nice feature. Its also cheaper to go with the with MAFTPro even after buying a chip.

My reason for going with FAST was the deal I got on the complete system but also the support behind it. The support for the Pro is getting better but this is the most modded I have ever had a GN and I have no plans on stopping. With that said, I never really messed with AFR tracking or with anything computer related on these cars before this one. My main local contact for support is a FAST guy. I taught him a bit about the Pro but he would still tell anyone asking him to ask me instead. He created my startup program and got me running flawlessly with FAST in what seemed like 5 minutes. We got about the same out of the Pro but it took me a lot of legwork to get it running and working with a laptop.

Benefits to the MAFTPro - Its cheaper, the support is getting better, it does AFR tracking by directly wiring an LC-1 to the unit. Its a piggyback system and I believe there is a PnP harness out now so wiring is not so bad.

Drawbacks to the MAFTPro - the TunerProRT software costs money (not terrible) but its not included with the purchase of the box. You get a trial that keeps working but takes 10 or so seconds to start due to a nag screen. The support is not all there, try the Supra boards, they LOVE this thing. The box itself is kind of clunky, I just left mine in the glovebox and took it out when I needed to tune something. Recording a run is cumbersome as well.

Benefits to the classic FAST system - The support is there, ask a question, post your logs, you will get answers. Wiring is easy with the harness. The box is clunky but since nothing can be done ON the box it mounts under the passenger seat with no issue. The program is free and recording a run is as easy as hitting F8 then space. You can tune more sensors with FAST than you can with the MAFTPro (at least I found more with FAST).

Drawbacks to FAST - The cost if your on a budget. It requires under hood wiring which can be a PITA. I ended up poking a hole in the firewall on the passenger side to run the wires through and cutting my kick panel where the stock ECM used to go so it would hold the harness.

If you have questions about the MAFTPro I may be able to answer them. I do not have it hooked up anymore so I have nothing to check, just what I remember to on for any advice. You can also call Mike at Full Throttle with any MAFTPro questions and I am sure Hartline performance would be able to answer any FAST related question, wait, they already are. :D

I always wondered how much more expensive the FAST system was. I know a new XFI is quite a bit more, but I would think that a WBO2 setup, modified ecm, special chip, and the other items listed above start to approach the cost of the Classic box.

You would only need a modified ecm if your running injectors that require it. Otherwise just get a chip, wideband o2, the box, and whatever harnesses you want. That would be around the cost of the classic box itself considering the classic box to be around $600 not including harnesses or anything else. If thats the case then getting set up to run with the MAFTPro would cost just a tad more for everything. I got box with a brand new LC-1 and chip for sale right now for $600, Mike will warranty the box and re-burn the chip for free to the buyer.

Back