You can type here any text you want

Distributor???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

oldsracer

Identity Crisis
Ive seen alot of distributor setups in the for sale section and was wondering what benifits their are over the stock set-up. Would this set-up be worth getting for a daily driver car.

I just don't understand and do not believe that by using older technology (distributor), will make a car go faster…I think it's a step backwards . I remember almost 20 years ago, Lawrence Conley ran in the 7's with the stock coil pack so it must not have been too bad! If it "did the job" back then, why isn't good anymore today?…:confused:

Claude.

20 years ago good coil packs and modules were readily available. Now it's a crapshoot when you buy one of it is any good or not. There is also not a good two step for a factory ignition for full race applications.
I went a half second faster after changing to a distributor, and got rid of a lot of headache.
But for a daily driver the ccci is the better way to go.

It's just not necessary unless you've got a powerful combo. The new tr6 box is a more than adequate replacement for the factory stuff and is plug and play.
The distributor needs a coil, ignition box and has to have an aftermarket ecm. It's not easy to set up.

That's not a problem. Just curious if there was another reason.

Last edited:
It can be run on the street. I just don't think it's necessary.

Cal Hartline does have a module that gets the stock ignition working with a two step now. You need an XFI with the 2.05 version software for it to work properly.

Back