Do I need zinc?

edmonds27

for the past several years Ive been using Rotella T oil in the car and have been adding a zinc additive from Oreillys. The other day the car had a loud taping noise, turns out the rockers weren't getting enough oil to them. I pulled the Push rods and found that they were full of sludge. I flushed the system and the tapping went away after I changed the oil with Rotella minus the additive. Could this junk from oreillys be causing this sludge?

In the old days sludge was caused by paraffin based oils and lower engine temps. What are the engine temps and how long do you run it when it's running?

I would use Rotella as a break-in oil for a new engine, but I would never use it in a turbo engine with lots of miles.:eek:

Diesel oil contains lots more detergent than motor oil, and it also has less anti-foaming additive as their normal operating RPM is about 1/2 of our turbo engines.

Yes, your engine needs zinc, but use a known, proven product like ZddPlus

Great read... local car club member has been pushing me to get zinc additive. Very informative. Thx

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Bro do you even Zinc? LOL Use good name brand oil like Valvoline and add zddplus and no worries.