Duttweiler i/c

chadly

I did a search and most of what I’ve found is in the parts for sale section. There was one topic on the I/C’s and from what I read people are impressed with them. So with a 20 year old i/c do I modify? The whole process would probably be in the $125 range which is way less the $800 stock location one I would really like. I don’t ever see myself running in the 10’s so maybe duttweiler is the way to go?

Thanks for the replay. Can I ask why you are against them? One vendor wrote that the stock flows at 208 and the Dett flows at 251. That’s a 21% increase. I’m just looking for some cheap hp. Anyone else have an opinion.

Thanks
Chad

When I first put mine on, the seat of the pants dyno said that it helped. Boost did go up about 2 lbs when I did it but when I dialed the boost back I couldn't really tell much difference (no before and after time slips to compare). I think the the real gain with the neck is that the flow is improved so you can push the same volume of air with less resistance and maybe less heat. It doesn't increase the efficiency of the core though which is where aftermarket i/c's shine by either having more surface area for cooling, better core design, or both along with the increased flow of larger necks.

The neck mod helps to make your stock i/c a little better. If you are close to your performance goal and to the line where you may need a aftermarket unit then the mod is worth it. It will give your stock cooler the little extra flow that it needs to handle it. If you are planning to go much faster you may want to consider a new cooler. Of course if you are at a level where the modded stock cooler won't handle it then it may be time for a front mount. IMO the aftermarket stock location coolers are a compromise and only really necessary to maintain the stealthy stock look. If you are after maximum potential then it has to be a front mount.

I run a neck mod on mine and I am happy with it. That, along with the alky, is all I need to safely run the boost level's I want with no problems. If you decide to try the neck mod check out e-bay and the for sale sections on the Buick boards. I purchased an already modified i/c off of e-bay for about $100 with shipping and I've still got my original cooler if I want to return it to stock.

I thought about the same thing myself wondering what all the hype was about, but then I got to thinking an aftermarket intercooler would be the way to go.

Stock I/C with dutt neck is great for just about every street "weekend track car" out there. Bigger stock-location ICs or front mounts are nice, but spend the money elsewhere if you aren't racing it. I don't really have a good reason for removing my Dutt neck stocker, the front-mount bug bit me this winter and out of the blue one day I really wanted a front mount intercooler.

Also factor in how many cars are running alky systems, even less reason to have a huge IC.

And I take it when you run a front mount I/C, you probably aren't running a/c or it's not efficient? or can you even keep the condensor in there and still run a front mount I/C?

Chadly for your goals the duttweiler neck at that cost is a great investment.

If you can pick up a stretch stocker from Mease, or other fabricators they also work well and aren't all that more expensive when you can find them.

I see no reason not to do the Duttweiler mod. :cool:

I use the neck and like it, my car is a basic stock setup and the neck tested to be about 2/10ths quicker.....downside is that the extra 1-2 lbs. of boost may require a bit more octane, i have to run a mix of 94 and 100 unleaded to avoid kr.

I use the neck and like it, my car is a basic stock setup and the neck tested to be about 2/10ths quicker.....downside is that the extra 1-2 lbs. of boost may require a bit more octane, i have to run a mix of 94 and 100 unleaded to avoid kr.

Your sig says 16 psi of boost...That should not require more octane.

Chadly for your goals the duttweiler neck at that cost is a great investment.

If you can pick up a stretch stocker from Mease, or other fabricators they also work well and aren't all that more expensive when you can find them.

I see no reason not to do the Duttweiler mod. :cool:

Don't mean to hijack this thread but check out this thread about Mease first(http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-lounge/257510-looking-info-mease-performance.html) before going there for anything.

Though I do agree with you on the Dutt neck suggestion.

I meant find a used stretch stocker like the Mark Jackson, Mease, and other fabricators made in the day.

On the board in the used parts for sale is where a deal perhaps could be made for not too much more money than a Duttweiler neck version or the cost to do it.

A new stretch stocker that you may never receive would be far too expensive a proposition. :eek:

Buying from people with product in hand (new or used) is the only way to go. :smile:

slo 91.....you sure can need more octane at 16 lb. of boost, alot depending on how agressive your chip is (timing)....with a dutt neck, good intake and exhaust you have more air running through that motor, with the stock injectors, you can get lean in a hurry, at least that is my experience. I use eric's chip and have tried adding more gas with no success, also run a 237 reg with reds xp hotwired. Before the neck and intake, 02's would be typically about 800, now more like 750 wot in third gear.

Sounds to me like your problem is injectors not octane...The octane is just covering up a existing problem with your tune.

eric at tt thinks injectors are maxed out, with the 237 reg i can't add a any fuel pressure, would be interesting to see what i could get with an adjustable......probably need a set of 43lbers..... would really like to get 02's back to the 780 range....what do you think?

I also think you need to up the injectors...More fuel pressure might get you there, but as soon as you do more to the car to get more air flow through the motor you will be right back where you are now.