You can type here any text you want

Everybody's preference for underhood fuel pressure gage?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Gary Wells

White turbo Buick trailer park trash
What's everybody's preference for a underhood fuel pressure gage?
1: The one with a stainless steel line attached for remote mounting?
2: the one that screws direct into the fuel rail?
Asthetics is the primary concern here

Wells said:
What's everybody's preference for a underhood fuel pressure gage?
1: The one with a stainless steel line attached for remote mounting?
2: the one that screws direct into the fuel rail?
Asthetics is the primary concern here

****Remote mounting. I've never had much luck with any of the little ones sold by vendors that attach to the fuel rail (no stainless line..just a gauge that screws on..) - not accurate, vibrate like crazy, and no way to see what is going on under full throttle conditions during testing. The remote ones are also bigger and easier to see fine adjustments in fuel pressure.

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD

I’ve got a fuel pressure gauge on my fuel rail and a steel braided line to an Autometer gauge that sits in a cup at the windshield. I made a bracket out of aluminum and attached it with some self tapping screws underneath the hood. Both are liquid filled. I bought the fuel rail gauge @ the nationals in Kentucky a couple years ago that came with the fitting. It has never read correctly, so I’ve got a $25.00 fitting. I'm looking into getting an autometer liquid filled gauge to replace on the rail. Having both does make it nice so you don't have to keep looking at the outside gauge when adjusting fuel pressure.

Is an electric out of the question? That is the optimal accuracy and "best looking" IMO

Phil

For under the hood, i would prefer a mechanical, but inside the car, I would probably prefer an electric, but this question is for under the hood.

My buddy uses a 2 5/8" Auto meter pro comp liquid filled gauge. It is mounted over near the charcoal canister on the fender. Looks sharp. You can also wire up the lights so it will work at night if you need to make adjustments at the track. If you need one for on the fly driving than an in car is the way to go. Unless the car is a pure racer the gauge on the hood thing is hard to make look good.

For $100 get an isolator and run the guage inside the car. It's little pricey but I'm happy with mine

I have used a few different types of the directly on the rail type gauges - they all failed. Glad non of'em let the fuel spray out.

Isolator seems like the best but I bet that inner fender mount would let one temporarily move the gauge for on the road testing too.

IMO i wouldnt mount a gauge on the rail.... i've heard too many horror stories of the guages starting to leak after vibration and shooting fuel on a hot downpipe/header/turbo/ whatever is not too smart. I'd rather be safe than sorry... so if you need just run a guage off a T and some s/s braided line - than u can watch it while driving AND move it to the engine bay while tuning. Just my thoughts

I never ran a mechy type gauge in any other situation besides to set the FP and monitor it under boost. After I was done, I am confident enough in my FPR's that I remove it incase they (gauges) would fail. Mechy gauges for other types are a diff story... but then again oil n water arent flammable. If you do go mechy, make sure its liquid filled to help null out some vibration.

The electric FP gauge, on the other hand, is another (safe) story. :)

Phil

I used to have a mechanical one with a rubber hose taped to the windshield for testing. I decided angainst *-rigging it and got an electrical one. Just mount one in your car and be done with it. I have the autometer 0-100 psi elec 2 1/16 and love it.

I got a rail mounted/liquid filled one from Full Throttle. Black housing/ black face with Yellow lettering. Looks like it came with the car :biggrin:

Price is right, too!

Back