Experts, Need V8 Help!

SGRIM

Owner/Admin TB.com
Staff member
Long story short, Bill took one of my V8 T's and dropped in a nice Chevy 350 I had at the house. My question is what transmission can I put behind this thing?

Had a couple of 400's we put in but they had various problems. I had a 350 with a PTC converter that was in WH1 turbo v6 car but it want bolt up:mad:

Will a 200 work and bolt up? I got a couple of 700's laying around but I figure they want hold up one pass so...

According to the GTech the car runs low 12's with the first 400 we had in it but it want stop leaking:mad:can't use it... So I need something that isn't going explode once installed...

TIA:biggrin:

31 views and no one will tell me what will fit behind a SBC?

I thought a 200r would bolt up to a Chevy engine.

The PTC converter you have on the 350 will work if you have a flexplate with the small bolt pattern. Yours must be a large pattern.

I thought a 200r would bolt up to a Chevy engine.

The PTC converter you have on the 350 will work if you have a flexplate with the small bolt pattern. Yours must be a large pattern.

Thank you Dusty!!! We haven't tired a 200 yet, I am greedy and want to save them for the turbo cars;)

If your gonna cruise it have your PTC convertor redone to fit a 2004r and install one.at that level atleast have a billet forward drum and a good calibration kit installed.
send me a core and ill build it as a swap for advertising;)

Don't think 200 will bolt up without an adapter plate, which is probably available through transadapt. Wife's car has SBC 350 with Th350, runs mid 11's and love it. Not to great for highway trips with 4.11s though.

31 views and no one will tell me what will fit behind a SBC?

As far as bolting to the engine, anything with a Chevy bell housing bolt pattern, or the Universal/Varifit pattern.

Case lengths can vary, also.

Chevy

Chevy_BP.gif

Universal/Varifit

Dual_BP.gif

Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Cadillac

BOP_BP.gif

If your gonna cruise it have your PTC convertor redone to fit a 2004r and install one.at that level atleast have a billet forward drum and a good calibration kit installed.
send me a core and ill build it as a swap for advertising;)

There ya go bud:biggrin:Freight might be a little rough though:eek:

83 and up 200 4-R could easily fit. Use a crossmember from any G Body that came with a 200-4R. As Dusty mentioned about the flywheel you wont have any problem there unless you have the large pattern. If its internally balanced you could simply switch the flywheel. Regardless you will need the converter cut open if you use the 200 because of the smaller input.

All G bodies with a V8 came with the chevy 305 and a 200-4R.
Mine is now a 88 350 and the 86 200-4R.

Wow thanks guys! I think we may have found the problem with the th350 leaking:biggrin: I will post pics tomorrow of the "thingy" that we think might be the culprit!

Thanks for that picture too!!! What year did the 480le come out come out?

LOL We need to send to class Shane. How about auto repair 101? Then we can send you to Transmissions 101 for a refresher?:biggrin: JK:eek::biggrin::tongue:

All G bodies with a V8 came with the chevy 305 and a 200-4R.
Mine is now a 88 350 and the 86 200-4R.

This is not a correct statement. Regals and Cutlass came with 307 Olds engines and not all got 200-4Rs.

See ya, Kip

LOL We need to send to class Shane. How about auto repair 101? Then we can send you to Transmissions 101 for a refresher?:biggrin: JK:eek::biggrin::tongue:

I have never claimed to be a mechanic, I POINT and Supervise:biggrin: :biggrin:

This is not a correct statement. Regals and Cutlass came with 307 Olds engines and not all got 200-4Rs.

See ya, Kip

Are the 200 that came in some of these with the 307 the same 200 in the TR?

just my 2 cents..the monte carlo ss 2004r will bolt up to the v8 engine,just have it built..I think the code is czf...The overdrive will be better for cruising down the highway at 70mph..

I would think that would be a metric 200,thats a 3 speed.Some may have come with a 200r4.They look different,the 200 looks more like a 350,shorter.And the 4L80e would need a computer to use it or a manual valvebody so it shifts.

Okay need some more help! Took the cover off the trans and the leak is coming from a bearing that was there. It is a Clevite bearing #01588. I can't find one because we don't know what to call it;) Any suggestions?