Fastest chip car??

Good to get these things clarified the XFI has come along way from the classic fast I am used to.. However, I feel doing a lot of adjustments based on mph are better than load, because coming in and out of lean cruise at lower speeds may cause poor response for example.

In the speed density world map cells have a tendency to overlap between gears and rpm/load and vehicle speed You can be in the same cell in one gear at a certain mph and you will overlap that cell at a higher mph with less throttle angle. This is where the correction can hit big numbers quickly even though the cell was just tuned perfect at a different vehicle speed. Using the blm's the fueling "trend" is learned to keep the VE from going out of extreme range. Now if the new self learning XFI worked like this would be similar to BLMS.

Well this thread is going off target, but is at least being informative to everyone.

Red just verified he ran a 9.17@152 at 3500# leaving off the footbrake.

That is hauling the mail for sure......congrats to him.

So far he is the fastest confirmed on the thread....... with several pretty close.....

but the end result if you break the faster cars down is the same..... attention to detail.....good tune..... and a sound recipe of matched parts.

an this goes for all cars .. from stockers running in the 11s to the "fast" ones !! Any car that isn't up to suff to begin with isn't goin to do crap no matter what parts ya throw at em. We stayed with chips and a MAF because a lot of people would use our cars. It has to start an run like a normal street car. :cool:

With that said.. a dialed in Fast is K.I.S.S. as your just letting it do its thing.

Getting to work like this is a whole other can of worms ;)

The wideband controlled (newer TT and Bob Baily and ME) stock ECU exhibits more of the K.I.S.S...... no?

There are safegards you can put in place.... like my wideband is set to.... in the event that it goes haywire.... it will send a 14.7:1 AFR "signal" to the ECU. My ECU will in turn..... see the 14.7:1 AFR.... if this is during a run...... it will see that is mega lean.... cause my target might be 11:1..... and the ECU will pour the fuel to it..... trying to compensate for the artificial lean condition. I see that as a safegard.

One of the biggest advantages I see with the XFI is it's immense datalogging capabilities.....and the ability to change injector size without sending your chip back in......

norbs said:
...but is at least being informative to everyone.

I agree 100%... The thread may not be exactly what the OP intended, but it has become a very worthwhile thread!!

HighPSI said:
You are correct. My apologies, to Brian and others. Back on topic.

No reason to apologize Cal. No such thing as too much technical information when sharing!! Keep it coming, everyone wants to learn. Just look at the view count of this thread!!

HighPSI said:
Red just verified he ran a 9.17@152 at 3500# leaving off the footbrake.

I almost called him myself for the exact #'s, figuring some might not believe me unless he posted the pass himself...

K.

I know you were really looking for t-type/gn fastest on stock ecu but there was recently a thread on HP Tuners forum exactly the same and there were a couple 3800 series 2's in the 8's on stock ecu's 1 FWD on stock block/factory assembled rotating assembly ! (ZZ Performance) 8.6 @158 and an f body rwd 3800 s2 running 8.90's (Intense Racing) these stood for a while then a couple LSX cars on factory ecu's were posted that had run as quick as 8.3. There is a s2 3800 in a datsun pickup in Australia running 7.90's supposedly on factory ecu but not confirmed

That is flying..... but yes.... IMHO..... this thread was really for the same series of engine and ECU that came in them circa '86 and '87.

I will be the first to admit.... the newer 3800's have alot of advantages when it comes to the newer ECU's.......and ability to make bigger HP.....with relatively stock parts.....

Thats why we have these threads. So we can all learn from them. If we can keep the pissing contest under controll.;) The more info shard the faster our cars will go with the least destruction.

Well this thread is going off target, but is at least being informative to everyone.[/QUOTE]

Dang wrong QUOTE

Cal you don't owe me an apology.

Your XFI expertise is invalueable......and because of your support (telephone and online)..... there are alot of guys tuning their own XFI's where they would not have been able to without it.... heck.... I've called you and Otto and multiple occasions when we were having trouble with the IROC... and you guys always steered us in the right direction.

I think both systems have their place..... and the more good info that can be posted.... the more informative this thread will be.

So.... 9.17 is the quickest confirmed so far?

I bet someone will confirm an 8 here soon.

Also.... IMHO...... stage cars loosely fit into this thread..... if for no other reason (for the loose comment) that they can be significantly more cubic inches than the non stage based cars.

Also.... hybrids that are considerably lighter than the TB is also "loosely" fit into this thread. Because it is much easier for a light car to run a number....anyone using this thread as a measuring stick.... needs to take the ET's and trap speeds of these real light cars and their times with a grain of salt.

Let me explain.....

A 2700 lb car running 9.20's @ 150 on a stock ECU might be equivalent to a 3450 lb+ car running 9.80's @ 138..... just guessing for comparison's sake... so if we get someone posting a low number with a real light car..... take it for what it is worth.... it is still fast.... but not exactly apples to apples.....

That is flying..... what boost?

Stage 2 3.8 block, stock stroke, 3 bolt 76mm, with a stock location intercooler, through a full exhaust I believe, still running a 200 with lock up and A/C. He runs less than 30psi

There is alot of good info in this thread. I have been kicking around the idea of an XFI. I have been told the O2 sensor with the XFI will hold up pretty well to race gas. My car eats O2's, when they go bad, it is rich at cruise, 12.5 on the wideband, then it eats spark plugs, so I am using more gas (Q16 or 110), changing plugs, and O2's every couple weeks. This alone could have bought me an XFI. When the O2 is fresh, I am at 14.3 to 14.7 on the wideband, BLM's in check. I have used AC, Denso, Bosch narrowband sensors with no luck. Would an XFI help with this issue?

Stage 2 3.8 block, stock stroke, 3 bolt 76mm, with a stock location intercooler, through a full exhaust I believe, still running a 200 with lock up and A/C. He runs less than 30psi

There is alot of good info in this thread. I have been kicking around the idea of an XFI. I have been told the O2 sensor with the XFI will hold up pretty well to race gas. My car eats O2's, when they go bad, it is rich at cruise, 12.5 on the wideband, then it eats spark plugs, so I am using more gas (Q16 or 110), changing plugs, and O2's every couple weeks. This alone could have bought me an XFI. When the O2 is fresh, I am at 14.3 to 14.7 on the wideband, BLM's in check. I have used AC, Denso, Bosch narrowband sensors with no luck. Would an XFI help with this issue?

An XFI doesn't use any input from a narrowband 02 sensor.... so in short.... if the narrowband is your issue.... then YES.... the XFI would help.

FWIW... I had blindly assumed the race gas wear and tear on the wideband would be similar to the narrowband..... but I could totally be way offbase.

I will say this.... I'm not sure that we've ever changed the 02 in Alan's Turbo Buick powered XFI IROC and it runs C16 all the time (well... 95% of the time).... and that setup has been on the car for at least 3-4 years.

I bought my XFI from Cal and its had 116 in it for about five years now,I very seldom run pump gas and ive never had a problem with any part of it. As far as a lean cruse we ride in the car in town and on the highway and tune the cruse part of thr table to what we want our car to run like. Weather its 12.5ar @ 70mph or 15 ar @ 70 not all engine combos want the same ar @ the same mph.

I run the XFI on my balls to the wall car with good drivablity. But run a chip in our street cars.

But this post is about the fast chip cars.

Red's?

I am in awe (on the combo that went 9.17) if he is in fact still running a stock location I/C with a 76 turbo.....thru full exhaust..... and a 2004R with lockup and A/C? on less than 30 psi?

Maybe someone needs to start a fastest with 2004R? LOL Probably wouldn't be of that much value... cause most have got tired of breaking things at that level.... and stepped up to something else...

Fastest chip car... Fastest w/ a 2004r... Fastest w/ SLIC... Fastest w/ A/C, etc...

There used to be a race class at B.G. for this type of car! Unfortunately, it lost car count because most wanted more, faster, race style combinations... Maybe one day it'll revive with the K.I.S.S. theory and vehicle value?

K.