You can type here any text you want

First 9 Second Run

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Garycar

Participated in the track rental at New England Dragway on Wednesday, September 28, 2005. Drove the car to and from the track. 2 hour round trip. Stage 1 motor was rebuilt 18 months ago by Bob Borelli who has run 7.57 in his Buick turbo race car. The 200 4R transmission was recently built by Lonnie Dyers (Extreme Automatics). 86 Grand National purchased new in 1986. Typically loaded including T Tops. Car has approximately 57,000 miles. Motor is a stage 1, M&A aluminum heads, JE pistons, Comp Cam off the shelf 218/212 flat tappet cam, stock intake, dog house and throttle body are ported. PTE front mount and Art Carr 9" N stall (3500) converter. Zero boost launches due to C clip eliminator leaking gear oil onto rear brake drums. Best run was a 9.95 at 135.06 with a 1.52 60'. Car has run 1.39 60' in the past. Motor ran very strong. Transmission shifted perfectly everytime. Can't say enough about Lonnie Dyers transmission (Extreme Automatics).

Congratulations and please update your signature file.
Are you still running the 67-1?
If so I would imagine there is a lot left in your combination.

Nice to see you back in action Gary!

I'm sure you'll have her dialed in in no time!

Glad to hear things went well.

Russ,

Thanks,

you missed a great day at NED. Jack Cotton was there working on customers cars. He made several passes with "Da Pumpkin" One of his runs looked like a 8.91. Had a great time and it was so exiting to run in the high nines, change tires and drive home. There has never been a car like the turbo Regal!

Dam, that's flyin! Driving to and back also. Great job! Jack was at the little bbq and Buicks invade Tewksbury event last Sunday. He drove the Pumpkin about 3 miles from Brian's house to the cruise parking lot. That was hilarious with that parachut hanging off the back :biggrin: I forgot my video camera, I wish I had that for posteriety.

Originally Posted by Garycar
...Snip.... Zero boost launches...Best run was a 9.95 at 135.06 ith a 1.52 60'...
Double Gulp! That is smoking! :eek:

BTW, it is Lonnie Diers (pronouced "deers"). Yeah, his 200-4R transmissions are the cat's meeow.

Scott,

thanks for the correction. Lonnie DIERS it is!

Either way he knows how to build the 2004R Transmission. I estimate the motor was producing 700 flywheel hp based on that run. The transmission shifted so well and at the correct RPM. For anyone interested his business number is (513) 545-3072. Hope I got it right. When I arrived at Bowling Green (GS National's) this last May Lonnie was there taking care of his customers. That's the way it should be and we need to support that kind of commitment and dedication to the turbo Regal community.

I've meet Lonnie before, damn nice guy who knows his stuff. He built the trans in several friends cars in the Cinci area that have held up under all kinds of punishment.

Gary, Your car is what I've always dreamed my street GN to be. A 9.9x at the track and still able to be driven anywhere/anytime with air. Congrats. I'm now thinking of slipping my TSM combo into the street GN and have a 10.9x street car and start looking at a stage 2 or TA combo for the race car.

John Wilde said:
Congratulations and please update your signature file.
Are you still running the 67-1?
If so I would imagine there is a lot left in your combination.

yea what size turbo are you running? I have the same kind of setup, alum. heads max prot, je's, bored block, FMIC, girddle, 218/218 cam, 70mm TB, 3" DP with tial wastegate, built solid tranny, 3600stall art carr.

What kind of turbo and what computer set up do you use?

congrats on the 9's. I hope to have the same kind of story after going to the track with the new motor.

6appeal,
thanks for the kind words. yes Lonnie Diers is not only a nice guy but he too is a turbo Regal enthusiast. In my opinion we need to support those venders who provide a good product but who also drive what we drive. Since I was able to run a 9 second et, anyone with a similar package can do it. Many are running 9's with their original 231 109 blocks. They may require just a little more boost but they run just as well and in some cases better. I think my car will run 9.7's with a decent launch and just a little more boost. I don't want to continue to raise the boost until something breaks. The current 3.73 gear is too much. Changing back to 3.42's. Motor was at 6400 rpm's in 3rd gear and was no longer pulling. On the way home I stopped at a Dunkin Donuts, removed the T tops and drove home with a big smile on my face and in total amazement at how these cars can run like race cars yet provide a very high level of comfort.

Back