First impressions with 6262 JB and 9.5" PTC Non LU convertor

turbo nasty

Turbo Dojo / MNTR
Finally got my new engine in the car and must say I am impressed with the boost response this turbo has with my stall and build combo. Was very skeptical of its boost response being a JB and rolled the dice when I bought it, but no worries now. Turbo has a S cover/ .63 PTE hot side.

Worked with Dusty to spec the convertor and I am very happy so far boost response wise. Cant say on the big end how she will do as Dusty said I need to shift at 6 grand to get coupling.

From a dead stop just giving it good amount of pedal to load the engine the boost comes in very linear and not laggy at all.

I midly power braked the car briefly yesterday just to see if it would build boost and was pleasantly surprised.

Turbo came up quickly and was ready to go. This wasnt a assault foot brake either just testing it out lightly.

With the boost at 5 PSI the tach showed around 3200-3300 and actually went on up to almost 10 psi and 3600 rpm.

Motor is just a mild build (see signature) and only has 20 or so miles on it and hasnt been WOT yet.

I know the 6262 is very popular and glad I didnt spend the extra cash on BB vs. JB, its simply not needed with the right convertor.

Not saying the convertor is 100% as the verdict is still out on the big end coupling ability but from dealing with Dusty/PTC in the past I bet its pretty close and they are great about reworking it if need be.

Make some WOT pulls and lets see what it drops to on the gear change. Looking at your low boost numbers it looks like it will be very close. 3600 rpm and 10psi is awesome. I love that turbo.

Thanx Dusty Im digging it...this is vac brakes and stock wheel cylinders too!!!
Not quite ready for a WOT hit just yet but ill log the runs and check the rpm drops on the gear changes when I do.

Smokin....... Dusty set it up for around 3.2-3.4 k.

You cannot quote a stall speed on a turbo car without specifying the corresponding boost pressure.

What does it stall in your car at "0" psi?

Bob

Right that wasnt the best wording I chose...and there are alot of other variables as well..headers, cam, heads, etc. Have not really looked at that yet Bob just was simply seeing if I could get some boost up for launch/mustang slaying , etc...LOL
Ill post up when I try it again

Also just as important us the stall at full power.

Footbraking at zero just before needle shows PSI its at 2.8 - 2.9 k rpm. Dusty guessed correct!

turbo nasty said:
Footbraking at zero just before needle shows PSI its at 2.8 - 2.9 k rpm. Dusty guessed correct!
I doubt he was guessing. That converter/turbo works excellent

Sad thing is that every converter really is just an educated guess. If I could determine actual stall speed of every converter sold before it goes out the door I'd have it made.

What blade count is the stator in this one? Also, is this a stroker and at what compression?

I've seen where the same converter, in the same car, with the same build combination, and just a static compression change makes a world of difference in how the converter acts for drivability & spool-up!

K.

What blade count is the stator in this one? Also, is this a stroker and at what compression?

I've seen where the same converter, in the same car, with the same build combination, and just a static compression change makes a world of difference in how the converter acts for drivability & spool-up!

K.

Does a higher compression aid spooling and loosen the converter feel?

I just finished a trans for a customer and it will be run with a 6262e and ptc 9.5". I'll see what we can crank out of it not exceeding 30psi. Should be close to the tens. It's a 93/alky non correcting chip and I don't want him to get too excited and blow head gaskets yet. It's still unopened and stock valve springs.

I'm running same combo, took it to the track, out of 3 passes, got my 1st 1.6 @ 60' time, the other two passes the tires broke loose.... it was a hot miserable evening.... some tuning, cooler weather and the 10's should be there.
On the street the combo is pretty sweet, running 28 lbs with the RJC Intercooler and single alky nozzle, a/f ratio set for 10.8 @ WOT, not that I go looking, but nothing has pulled away from me so far. The 6262 JB spools fast, to make the tires yell, just push down some on the go pedal, from a stop or a 55 mph roll(pull it back into 3rd gear 1st) . And for the record, not missing the lock up converter on the highway, and I thought for sure that I would...
My compression ratio, .04 over diamond pistons with them sitting .012 in the hole, on a stock stroke motor, champion iron heads...?
6262 and Dusty's NL converter go together like peanut butter and jelly.... of course throw some alky in there and turn the boost up and it really wakes up...

Chuck