Follow my port and polish project

Really nice write up and congratulations on achieving your 11 second goal, but may I ask what was your motivation? Looking at your sig, was this your most recent combo? I see you have a couple of others listed. No offense, but it seems like a lot of work and down time to go slower.

Really nice write up and congratulations on achieving your 11 second goal, but may I ask what was your motivation? Looking at your sig, was this your most recent combo? I see you have a couple of others listed. No offense, but it seems like a lot of work and down time to go slower.

No offense taken. The car really hasn't been good too me in 2010. In Jan of this year I finally blew the stock head gaskets and decided to go roller cam and port the stock irons. Had the car up in April and a methanol incident decided the fate of the two front stock pistons. I got it back up and running with a fully forged bottom end in Oct and started fighting false knock issues, a cracked front mount and melted spark plugs.

The car is finally getting back up to where I had it. The new combo I'm shooting for 10.3x's @ 130 ish. We'll see.

Note to self...when responding to a multi paged thread it's wise to check the initial posting date. I saw another thread today you started when you ported your heads I think, it clued me in that this thread preceeded it. At any rate, very nice attention to detail here. Congratulations again.

In my quest to run 11's on the stock turbo, intercooler, and converter, I'll be port and polishing almost everything but the heads. Here is the thread with a great wealth of information about how to achieve 11's with my combination.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ge...11-s-stock-turbo-can-t-get-car-go-faster.html

Here is the list of things I'll be porting and polishing:

Stock upper and lower intake
Throttle body
Intake ports on the heads
Stock exhaust manifolds
Manifold to turbo
Compressor housing inlet and out let
Turbine inlet
Intercooler neck

I've read for hours and hours here and other boards on porting techniques and theroy. I want to thanks VadersV6 for all the help he has givng me and answering all my questions. I quickly learned not to just hog everything out, but to create some velocity in the lower intake and heads. I don't plan on pulling the heads on the car.

I'll update the thread as I work. I figure it will take me a few weeks doing all the work on weekends and after work. If anyone has any recommendations or critisism along the way, please post.

I'll start off with some pics of how the engine bay looked before I tore it down.

IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

IMG_3894.jpg

So far I was able to get everything off other then the lower intake and the exhaust manifolds. Only took about 3 hours.

IMG_3896.jpg

IMG_3897.jpg

Here are the pics of the engine bay with the parts removed:

IMG_3898.jpg

IMG_3899.jpg

And here are the tools I'll be using. I got the carbide bits and the head porting kit from Summit, the Grinders grease came from Eastwood.

IMG_3901.jpg

I may polish the outside of the upper intake if I feel up to it.

Other then porting the stock turbo's wastegate hole, I've never done any porting or polishing work, so please bear with me.

Doug D
what brand are those long shank carbides? man those are hard to find.

Just search duckduckgo.com for "6" shank carbide burrs". Many many sources. Even my local fastener supply house has them in stock, but pricey. It's real easy to sink thousands of dollars into electric grinders, router control boxes (to vary rpm speeds Wich is a MUST HAVE item if head porting). I use to use a light dimmer switch that worked very good for cheap if you know how to wire a electrical box. A good face shield, good hearing protection, and good respirator. I have been porting heads for over 30 years and have taught a handful of guys how to do it. EVERY LAST ONE of them told me that after ONE set of heads that they would NEVER, EVER do THAT again! LOL. I would love to mentor some young person on how to do it, but most people just don't consider it an "art form" so to speak. I listen to music and it ore the whole world for hours on end. Better have a nice warm shower available when you quit for the day to clean up and sooth your arms and shoulders. A hot tube would be better. (I think). Good luck giving it a try. PM me for my phone number and we can chat for hours........

Just search duckduckgo.com for "6" shank carbide burrs". Many many sources. Even my local fastener supply house has them in stock, but pricey. It's real easy to sink thousands of dollars into electric grinders, router control boxes (to vary rpm speeds Wich is a MUST HAVE item if head porting). I use to use a light dimmer switch that worked very good for cheap if you know how to wire a electrical box. A good face shield, good hearing protection, and good respirator. I have been porting heads for over 30 years and have taught a handful of guys how to do it. EVERY LAST ONE of them told me that after ONE set of heads that they would NEVER, EVER do THAT again! LOL. I would love to mentor some young person on how to do it, but most people just don't consider it an "art form" so to speak. I listen to music and it ore the whole world for hours on end. Better have a nice warm shower available when you quit for the day to clean up and sooth your arms and shoulders. A hot tube would be better. (I think). Good luck giving it a try. PM me for my phone number and we can chat for hours........
well, I did mine already. What a difference! I definately would love to do another set even better than the last. so I'm in man.