G-body 25.3 SFI rebuild

Last evening I got the core support flex corrected with some diagonal gusset tubes as well as a bracket to hold the vacuum pump canister.

Next up is some stand-offs to help hold the stock fiberglass header panel. Once that's done, off to chrome I suppose.

assembly77.jpg

assembly78.jpg

assembly79.jpg

Had the same issue last weekend with some SS 304 stainless v-band flanges. The flanges turned out to be 409 and not 304...grrr. The clamp was the only thing that was 304. You still are doing amazing work !!!

Quite a frustrating day in the garage. I got the collectors/mufflers/turn downs mocked up and was ready to weld them together. Man, what a PITA. I've done alot of Tig welding the last couple years and these had me ready to throw them across the shop. Anyways, their done and I'll leave it at that. It's a good thing they will get recoated. ;)

assembly84.jpg

Next on the To-Do list was to make some mounts to secure the header panel to the core support. Went a little better, but still a meticulous time consuming process.

assembly80.jpg

assembly81.jpg

assembly82.jpg

assembly83.jpg

I said it before...........fantastic work........thanks for sharing your progress.

You know, I am a firm believer in drive your cars, no matter what they are, and enjoy them. This car almost makes me think it should be in a museum of amazing, OCD, intense fabrication, where you charge admission for people to come see it. It is that sick. I have subscribed to many car mags for at least 20 years and I honestly think this thing rates up there with any car I have ever seen before. It is just insane, only word I can think of at the time, while I sit here and drool on myself...

You know, I am a firm believer in drive your cars, no matter what they are, and enjoy them. This car almost makes me think it should be in a museum of amazing, OCD, intense fabrication, where you charge admission for people to come see it. It is that sick. I have subscribed to many car mags for at least 20 years and I honestly think this thing rates up there with any car I have ever seen before. It is just insane, only word I can think of at the time, while I sit here and drool on myself...

:eek:

Thanks for the kind words.

I'd love to see a spread in a magazine, but have not had any luck with getting it done. A pic published here and there, but no in depth article.

I know a guy at Chevy High Performance, but with them being on the west coast, it's very difficult getting the details worked out on pics, etc.

Worked this morning in the garage correcting an issue that came up.

The seat covers came this week, so I installed them, sat in the car and put my helmet on. The headroom was not what I was looking for. It was a bit tight and once I put padding on the upper bars it was gonna get worse. Also, the seat position vs steering wheel location and gauge display location had the top of the steering wheel blocking my view of the top half of the tach. This bothered me from day one, but everything was pretty much mounted where it needed to go.

Well, this morning I decided to lower the seats by cutting down the seat brackets. A couple hours worth of work allowed me to drop the seats 1" which is about all I could get out of them.

Everything back in place and the headroom is much improved, and gauge display visibility is noticeably improved as well. Not perfect, but better and I think I can live with it now.

Will have to take the seat brackets for blasting and then have them powder coated again.

Thought I would share this one pic quick to show how the interior colors will work out.

assembly85.jpg

Rear plastic interior panels will be reinstalled and are black. Carpet will be black as well as the 5 point harness. The window net is silver as it was the only color webbing they had in stock when I was doing the fabrication phase. The door panels will be carbon fiber and the dash will be painted black.

Just trying to have a little contrast in the interior as it was all black prior.

I now have all the body parts except for the hood. Made good progress on completing the body assembly.

assembly89.jpg

assembly90.jpg

assembly91.jpg

assembly92.jpg

Also, I need some help locating some replacement plastic clips that the grill screws into. If anyone knows of an online sourse to purchase, please let me know. thank you.

plastic_clips.jpg

Spent the weekend working through small detail stuff in which the list seems endless.

The new water neck/fill came in and the fuel regulator hit it, so I had to relocate the regulator and redo two fuel lines.

I completed the front end wiring which included the head and parking lights as well as the cooling fan.

Lastly, I spent most of the time assembling the doors. Stupid me didn't order enough dzus fasteners & springs, so I'll be placing another order tomorrow.

Next project is installing the channels around the roof line as well as the door glass weatherstripping.

I also need to take time to call my upholstery guy to get a quote on the custom carpet.

assembly93.jpg

assembly94.jpg

I have enough of the car together I was able to look at the weight to compare before & after.

Only thing missing from the scale session was water in the coolant system and carpet & headliner. Everything else was accounted for...I think. lol

assembly95.jpg

OK, since the car is nearing completion, I thought it would be fun to play a guessing game.

Lets have members post guesses on how much the car will pick up on the time slip.

Original race weight was 3258 lbs w/driver.

A typical run would be:

1.25 60'
3.51 330'
5.4x 660'
127-128 mph
7.09 1000'
8.510 1320'

D/A in the 1000-1500' range.

Basic combination again:
N/A 582 bbc, dyno'd at 1056hp at 7500, 811 ft/lbs at 6000-6500
1.80 glide, 6500 stall 8" converter from Lenny at Ultimate
4.11 gear
previously ran a Hoosier 295, for 1/8 mile will run a 275, for 1/4 will have to put the 295 back on for finish line rpm.

shift at 8000-8200, same through the traps.

Car should be right at 300 lbs lighter with driver, so lets say 2950 lbs.

You can guess both how much it's improve (if any) and new time slip incremental times.