Gasket wear between cylinders

STP

Narrow A$$ Racing
I was inspecting my 4.020 Cometics last night and noticed the Viton between the cylinders has rubbed or burnt off the gasket on every hole. Was thinking of ordering gaskets for a larger bore...Any input? Thx Scott

stage 2 is a 4.020. Gaskets were run when I had iron heads on the car. Probably 15 passes total.

Nevermind...decided just to run the 1026 Felpro for a fuse

Any one know where to get 4.020" production style cometics for less than $150 that TA charges? I need some for my 4.1.

Thanks,

Are the Champion heads drilled for the steam holes between cylinders ?

The heads were probably also blackened between the cylinders.

If I remember right the 1026 gaskets are a 4.090" or 4.100" gasket bore. You give up a bunch of meat in the gasket between the bores compared to a set of Cometics with a 4.060" bore. Replace the outer shims on the Cometics and keep going. The wear should be showing you the gaskets are working the way they're supposed to - allowing the heads and block to move without having a gasket failure.

If your 1026 gasket fuse lets go, there's a damn good chance you're going to have to weld the heads between the chambers.

Thx for the reply..I get your point. However, IMO I would rather repair a head than replace a piston. I did notice the "blackened" areas in between the cylinders on both the heads and the block. No prob there, just the gasket working. The meat in between the cylinders doesn't concern me a whole lot cause IMO if the fire ring fails it won't matter. I was running some 4.020 Cometics and would have reused them except that the steel was damaged on one hole..Shims seemed to be fine other than the wear described. My GN1R's do have the steam holes drilled. I run my car pretty fat at anywhere from 11.1 to 11.5 AF and no more than 23psi..We'll see if these 1026's and 14 studs can hang in there...Thx Scott