Grand National - Barn Find 1,600 miles

Dennis Kirban

Barn finds have become news articles in various magazines recently. We had one a few years back car is better known as the cat car as it was a 1987 GN with around 2,100 miles shared a building with 9 cats....

Here is another one which is only abut 15 minutes from my house. It has been parked since late 1991. Same owner since brand new. Actual miles a mere 1,608.

It is a fairly loaded 1987 Grand National with a Cars & Concepts astroroof. Power seat, posi, windows, locks analog dash etc. Unfortunately it has been stored in a non heated cement floor situation. Body is super straight interior is still quite nice. Al the suspension that GM never painted has a coat of rust on it. Wheels are suffering to various degrees and the tires have age cracks. car has not been started in all this time.

Only the battery has been replaced since new. Some photos will appear on our website Wednesday June 8th under that weeks inner circle. The owner wants to sell it. He is asking 20 grand. He may work a little for an interested party.

I hope to have Mr AMC Guy post a few photos for me later under this thread.
I don't have many photos as the building had no electricity so lighting was a problem. The C & C astroroof is very similar in size to the factory GM version.

A great project for someone handy that has the time to bring this one back to its original glory. From what I seen of the car I believe all the paint can be saved.

Serious interested parties contact me denniskirban@yahoo.com

again will try and post some photos later tonite or tomorrow.

amazing that car could have went under the radar for 20 years with those miles. Was it being stored as a collector/investment or just neglected?

Since I don't think you've followed the build thread on the 83 T type' I've since found out it's a 49K mile car Dennis.:biggrin: The heads are mismatched and the block is a standard bore, but the rest of it looks like it sat for a real long time in between owners. Not near as valuable as an 87 but I'm tickled to death with the find.:cool:

here are some shots I took of the car last weekend. The lighting was very poor.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

1307531144.jpg

1307531143.jpg

1307531142.jpg

1307531141.jpg

1307531140.jpg

1307531139.jpg

Hmmm.... I am drooling over this prospect... Somebody please speak for this thing before I drive myself crazy:biggrin:

I spotted on the other day under a tree on a dead end road, though i doubt it looks like this.
Gonna stop one of these days and see if its for sale.

I always find cars like this extremely interesting and I think "barn finds" (especially GN's) are very cool. In looking over the pictures, I'm just interested what one would do with it given it's condition and ultra-low miles.

Would you:

1. Restore it and drive occasionally?
2. Restore it and never drive it?
3. Get it in usable condition leaving it as original as possible and take out occasionally?
4. Leave it alone and never drive it...a conversation piece?
5. ??

All the options above have advantages and disadvantages....I'm just wondering what everyone thinks?

I always find cars like this extremely interesting and I think "barn finds" (especially GN's) are very cool. In looking over the pictures, I'm just interested what one would do with it given it's condition and ultra-low miles.

Would you:

1. Restore it and drive occasionally?
2. Restore it and never drive it?
3. Get it in usable condition leaving it as original as possible and take out occasionally?
4. Leave it alone and never drive it...a conversation piece?
5. ??

All the options above have advantages and disadvantages....I'm just wondering what everyone thinks?

Clean it up and never put a mile on it!

I would put a 350 Chevy in it with a Turbo 400 and some nice flowmasters :tongue:

This same individual also has stashed on the property (I have not seen then yet) a Thypoon with maybe 4,000 miles, a Firehawk, and a 90 or 91 mustang 5 speed notchback. I believe all have under 5,000 miles on them.

Once I and him can meet up I will have photos of them to post probably under this thread...the thypoon is one of the are color combos blue & silver.....

You never know what people have or why they make certain decisions....

None of these cars would ever be just discovered as they are no where near any major road or even a paved road for that matter.

The GN is fairly priced....person takes his time over this upcoming winter will have a nice GN next spring....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

believe me I have bought some cars that were in unusual situations even ones I have taken apart.....makes you wonder what was the person thinking....

its what makes the world go around....

I should buy it LOL.. park it in the garage and when people bring over all these hacked up junkers I can figure out how there spaghetti should be routed. LOL...

i would make the car somewhat driveable.... just enough to get it off the trailer at car shows.

Dennis

The typhoon .. I would like to see pics & get a price when you meet with him .. I would fly into phillie to pick it up .. Let me know .pete has my number if you get a chance ..

Dennis Kirban;2796816and a 90 or 91 mustang 5 speed notchback. I believe all have under 5 said:
Howbout some info on the coupe? exterior / interior color and transmission....

Lots of rust that I could see under the hood for not being driven and stored for 20yrs, was this car stored outside?? sitting in the Eastern weather, please LMK, thanks.

Ron

I would be interested on info on that little notch as well. Kind of a shame these cars weren't stored properly. Please fill us in on the details when you have an opportunity to speak with the seller.