Grand National - Barn Find 1,600 miles

Dennis, If you get a chance post a pic of the sun roof. I just curious what the difference is between the factory sun roofs . I think the car is priced right at 20k

from what I see I disagree on the 20K$ price, looks to be some rust issues, and if it has not been run in 20 or so yrs, what else would need to be replaced, the fuel system for sure, tires and who knows what else after all them years
but the rust is what frightens me for 20K$ even though it has 1600 miles on it, and that is the really sad part, the low miles, thanks.

Ron

I can see your point on the rust. I would like to see under it. I dont think it would be a museum piece but real nice car with a little work. The car looks like it had some outside storage at one time. I wouldnt be scared of it!

I see that we agree to disagree! if you bought a car form Idaho with those miles you would see the difference between the two, I see that you are form Pa., so I can understand a little rust would not be bad for you, as I was born and raised in Mich and have lived out west for over 30yrs, to me it is a big deal, and that is the rust you can see, makes me wonder how much you can not see, so I would pass on this car myself, thanks.

Ron

I would need to see this in person to make a fair assessment, from what I see and with it not running for so long I would say no way to 20k right now.

A few more comments

The Cars and Concepts astroof roof is about the same size as the factory think it also cost about a grand. It has a black switch which is mounted in the headliner factory switch was chrome and had a plug to accept a hand crank should power fail.

Some owners would not know the difference between the two. Actually this owner thought it was a factory roof.

The car has been stored in a building with a concrete floor and NO HEAT. GM as every Turbo owner knows did not paint the suspension or a arms or rear housing so these parts are rusty.
Car appears to have been undercoated.

The chrome wheels would be driver quality but not show quality heck plating when they were new was not what I would call show chrome quality.

Interior is quite nice crisp pleats in the door panels, body is super straight paint is good and fillers seem to be ok thus far.

While I agree not everyone will reach the same conclusion the fact remains the person who has the time and ability and a lift, could bring the car back to being quite respectible.

The car is restorable remember its 1,600 miles total.

Until I arrange with the owner to see the other vehicles I have no idea if they are in a similar condition or a worse condition. My thinking is the GN would be at the top of the value food chain all things being equal with the notch back Mustang at the low end. (However, 5-speed notchbacks are highly sought after unmolested ones) (I know I have had 3 of them)

We can't all own western rust free cars to start with. My personal 1987 turbo-t is 100% original paint never undercoated has white floors silver gas tank and looks like new underneath and ironically it came out of Erie, PA up by the lakes.

GN may not be everyones cup of tea, but someone will see the potential.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

More news:

The Thyphoon is a dark blue silver base with a blue gut...owner thinks going by memory it may have about 2,000 actual miles on it.

I am hoping to see these other vehicles maybe next week.

Owner is workable on the barn GN that 20 grand price is not etched in stone...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

if the interior looks like a 1600k car then maybe its worth $15k but if it needs paint then $20k is a stretch. condition is still king

We are getting a few serious players on this car already....

As for mice only evidence I saw which is common is when you tap on the hood pad stuff falls out yet hood pad outwardly remains perfect.

The interior is super nice crisp pleats in the door panels. Car has not been exposed to sun lite so from what I have seen the paint is nice.

The seller is not locked in at the 20 grand he wants to sell it but wants to get a fair price for the car.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I personally wouldn't touch that car, especially for $20 grand. Yea, it's low mileage BUT that car need thousands more. If it sat in a dirt floor barn (as pics suggest) the underside probably looks like a high mileage driven northern car ie; lots of rust. The heads will have to be pulled as the cylinder walls will most likely have heavy rust and the block will possibly need to be bored(will need new pistons, etc). EVERY seal will have to be replaced as that thing will leak like a 200k turbo Buick when started, and the steel GN wheels will need rechroming and tires replaced. For $20k, id rather buy a 30k mileage car that was WELL TAKEN CARE OF and be done with it. The car needs a minor restoration and that means it will no longer be "original" which buyers of extremelly low mileage cars want. Would love to see how the bottom of the doors look like also as that much moisture will eat the inside of these cars panels because GM didn't believe in rustproofing as we all know!! $12-$14k would be a more realistic price IMO, ESPECIALLY IN THIS MARKET.

I personally wouldn't touch that car, especially for $20 grand. Yea, it's low mileage BUT that car need thousands more. If it sat in a dirt floor barn (as pics suggest) the underside probably looks like a high mileage driven northern car ie; lots of rust. The heads will have to be pulled as the cylinder walls will most likely have heavy rust and the block will possibly need to be bored(will need new pistons, etc). EVERY seal will have to be replaced as that thing will leak like a 200k turbo Buick when started, and the steel GN wheels will need rechroming and tires replaced. For $20k, id rather buy a 30k mileage car that was WELL TAKEN CARE OF and be done with it. The car needs a minor restoration and that means it will no longer be "original" which buyers of extremelly low mileage cars want. Would love to see how the bottom of the doors look like also as that much moisture will eat the inside of these cars panels because GM didn't believe in rustproofing as we all know!! $12-$14k would be a more realistic price IMO, ESPECIALLY IN THIS MARKET.

$20,000 he's crazy he ruined that car

Ok fella's. I have left the thread open for general discussion because of the such unique aspects of the car.

But there is no need to act like this thing is a hooker with aids, It still is a 1600 mile car.

Ask anybody that bought an original 1600 mile Muscle car 25 years later for essentially what the car sticker-ed for new, fixed it up (assuming it has a lot of rust, maybe it does not????) they would have came out smelling like a rose.

If in 1995 you could have found a 1970 Chevelle SS setting in a barn for $4500 with 1600 actual miles... probably would have been a pretty good buy.

I say when all the smoke clears this car still brings north of 15k by a fair amount.

PS- Did you even read the ad?????????? It says it is stored on a cement floor!

This thread is awesome! Its definitely not an example on how to store a car but it does show there are still low millage barn finds out there. I would also love to see pics of the Typhoon. That's crazy someone could just let these cars sit and rot away but I'm not one to judge what someone else does with their cars. I mean would you rather see this GN driven into the ground with 150k+ miles or never touched with less than 2k??? Great find I want to see more in the future.

As of yet I have nothing new to report yes GN is stil for sale however there is one local party that wants to see it and we are trying to set something up that works for all party concerned to go view the car and cars...

Unfortunately everyones been busy and the one buyer has been away all this past week.

Hopefully I will have more info and photos this coming week.

denniskirban@yahoo.com